I-10 Closed Between LFT & BTR

shunga

A gas well fire has I-10 closed in both directions between Lafayette & Baton Rouge. Reopening is not expected until sometime in early December. Traffic is being rerouted along US 190. Delays are substancial. This will not delay traffic coming to New Orleans on I-55. If you are driving to New Orleans from anywhere west of Lafayette be sure to allow a lot of extra time. Don't miss that ship!!

LSP information # is. (225)925-6006

175.34AA?OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=gif

WELL FIRE, INTERSTATE 10 ROAD CLOSURE (10:50 AM Update)

Workers are still methodically making progress at site of well fire. As it relates to traffic, the Thanksgiving holiday is getting closer and the number of vehicles on the highway is expected to increase. Law enforcement agencies stretching from East Baton Rouge Parish to Lafayette Parish are working to keep the flow traffic as smooth as possible along the areas affected by the closure of Interstate 10.

We are asking motorists to take several steps to make the drive less daunting:

1. Make sure you and your vehicle are ready for travel.

2. Plan for delays and leave early.

3. Be patient behind the wheel and do not get in a hurry.

4. If you are involved in a crash pull to the side of the road to avoid further backups.

5. Finally, be courteous to other motorists.

State, Parish, and local authorities continue to re-route traffic Interstate 10 westbound traffic to LA Hwy 415 (Lobdell Hwy) northbound at Port Allen to U.S. Hwy 190. Eastbound interstate traffic will be re-routed northbound at I-49 in Lafayette to U.S. 190 at Opelousas. Motorists should expect delays due to the extra volume of traffic on U.S. Hwy 190. Other alternate routes are U.S. Hwy 90 from Lafayette to New Orleans. Both Mississippi River bridges (I-10 and U.S. 190) in Baton Rouge are currently open. Alternate routes for persons traveling south to Baton Rouge on Interstate 49 can also take LA Hwy 1 through New Roads, LA.

Unless there is a significant change in how the operation proceeds, the latest press release can be viewed by viewing all news under news releases.

Archived