Walkie Talkies?

They don't work all over the large ships of today. They are obnoxious to fellow passengers. They are obnoxious to those that have them as you may have several different groups all using the same channel. Oh, and they are obnoxious to fellow passengers.

The majority of cruisers manage to survive without them just fine...

We took walkie-talkies on the Paradise. They worked pretty well except when our boys "forgot" to charge them. We'll take them again. (We might take the boys too ;) )

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Could I ask what kind of walkie talkies you brought? Ive heard that some dont work.

We took them and ended up not using them. Not only did they annoy the people around us, we could never find a channel kids weren't playing on, which annoyed us! :)

We use sticky notes on the door or a sticky note in the mail box. We write POOL (or wherever we are going) or "Meet in the lobby at 5:30" then stick it up on the door. People can easily find us then!

We took them and ended up not using them. Not only did they annoy the people around us, we could never find a channel kids weren't playing on, which annoyed us! :)

We use sticky notes on the door or a sticky note in the mail box. We write POOL (or wherever we are going) or "Meet in the lobby at 5:30" then stick it up on the door. People can easily find us then!

Good Idea! I also heard you can use a dry erase maker on the mirror.

They don't work all over the large ships of today. They are obnoxious to fellow passengers. They are obnoxious to those that have them as you may have several different groups all using the same channel. Oh, and they are obnoxious to fellow passengers.

Ive survived just fine without any thus far, just wondering what kind of success people have had with them.

We brought 'em on our last cruise. Ended up leaving them in our cabins instead. It theory it's convenient. In practice, it's an inconvenience that you end up lugging around all day and not actually using.

Maybe my family was different, but we generally would start the day and say "Okay, I'm gonna go do blah blah blah probably... see you guys at lunch?" and that was enough communication for us. We'd see each other around the ship often enough.

We brought 'em on our last cruise. Ended up leaving them in our cabins instead. It theory it's convenient. In practice, it's an inconvenience that you end up lugging around all day and not actually using.

Maybe my family was different, but we generally would start the day and say "Okay, I'm gonna go do blah blah blah probably... see you guys at lunch?" and that was enough communication for us. We'd see each other around the ship often enough.

Thanks Ryan :)

If you do camp carnival with younger kids 2-5 age group they will give you a phone to use. Those phones work great to use to call between other people that have the same phone. You can also use those phones to call the room and leave message if no answer.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

We used them. I'll have to double check the brand. They worked great and if for some reason the people around us were as crabby as they are here, I didn't notice it. Eh, some people cruise to have fun, some cruise to be annoyed...

Your cabin telephone is equipped with voice mail. Use any public house phone to call cabin and leave a message.

Get together for breakfast wtht he fun times and mark it up where you will be... take hightlighters.

We used them. I'll have to double check the brand. They worked great and if for some reason the people around us were as crabby as they are here, I didn't notice it. Eh, some people cruise to have fun, some cruise to be annoyed...

I went to a show once where the people behind me was screaming into her walkie talkie..looking for her teens. And no he was picking up.

I cruise to have fun...but stuff like that is really annoying. She could have left the show room to do this shouting

I went to a show once where the people behind me was screaming into her walkie talkie..looking for her teens. And no he was picking up.

I cruise to have fun...but stuff like that is really annoying. She could have left the show room to do this shouting

Definitely! That's a problem with the person and not the wt though:)

Lol! We had the same experience. They worked great. And we didn't have to yell. Had no idea they could annoy people. Whatever.

Incidentally, we live in the St. Louis area also.

Edited to add: Yelling during a show is rude. It's entirely possible to use a walkie talkie without being rude.

Edited by Confuzzled

I don't think you know what you're talking about. They make Walkies that have ranges over 30 miles.

I don't think you know what you're talking about. They make Walkies that have ranges over 30 miles.

I am quite aware of what I am talking about. The range may say 30 miles, but that is best case scenario and for line of sight. That does not allow for metal walls, ships hull, hundreds of miles of electrical wiring packed into a ship and etc etc.

If you have a set of these '30 mile' devices, I beg you to have someone drive 15 miles from your house and get them to work, let alone 30.

DH and I often cruise with a friend who likes to do scuba diving excursions in ports while we do our own thing. We don't use the two-way radios on the ship, but we do in port to hook up with our friend when her excursion is done. Works really well for us. We sure would not want to annoy other pax while on board....

We have found walkie talkies to be annoying to us and other passengers (can't hear when called unless screaming).

We bring a pad of sticky notes for each cabin.

Cabin phones have voicemail, can leave from any phone on the ship.

We also look at the FunTimes each night and pick a few check in times/places for the next day. Bring highlighters.

We all eat dinner together, so decide what time we will eat and then plan on when to be ready to go (ex: meet at cabin XXXX at 6:15p).

Never had much luck with them. Whether it was just poor reception on the ship or the kids pretending they can't hear us...just not worth the aggravation. Now we just tell them ti be somewhere at a certain time and if I have to come look for them...hell to pay..😉

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app