Best port for Engagement Ring Shopping

Going to St. Thomas and St. Maarten in November - one of main objects is to find engagement and wedding rings. Is shopping better in one port over other? Want to also do some site seeing and beach time - just trying to figure out how to get EVERYTHING in :p

Going to St. Thomas and St. Maarten in November - one of main objects is to find engagement and wedding rings. Is shopping better in one port over other? Want to also do some site seeing and beach time - just trying to figure out how to get EVERYTHING in :p

There are nice jewelry stores in both ports. However, you get a larger deduction at customs for the ST Thomas purchases.

Am wondering why anyone would buy an engagement ring in the Caribbean (unless you live there). Diamonds and Gold are both priced based on the international market so there is little reason to buy this stuff out of the USA. Most jewelry stores have huge mark-ups (anywhere) which can easily surpass 400%. But there are some excellent discount jewelers in the USA, some of which can be found online. Blue Nile is one reputable example and there are others. And Costco also sells diamonds at very competitive prices. If you have an issue with jewelry you buy in the Caribbean it will be "good luck" as to whether you can get service. One notable exception would be H. Stern (who has a St Thomas store) who has some US stores that will service any of their products. As far as I know, Mrs. Stern (who owns the Brazilian jewelry company) still refuses to pay the necessary bribes to get mentioned as a "recommended store" but they do have an excellent world wide reputation. On the other hand, we doubt if you would find a "bargain" at their store.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Jewelry deals in the Caribbean are not as good as they were years ago, let alone buying a diamond ring. The markup is so high in the Caribbean, test it out. Walk into any jewelry store on the islands, spend 5 minutes in a store get a price on a ring, say thank you and then start walking out, you'll see they'll start lowering the price. Then you tell them that is still too much money, they'll ask how much do you want to spend. You say as little as possible, they will lower the price again. I was able to buy a ring with diamonds for less than 1/3 of the original asking price they gave me. That should tell you how much of a markup they are making on jewelry and diamonds. You are better off making your purchase at a reputable store at home . Costco, BJ's or Sam's club do have some good deals on diamond rings and there is no haggling back and forth on prices.

Your on vacation, spend your time enjoying the islands.

The one advantage about shopping in the islands the huge selection all in one area. At home, other than big cities the selection in very limitied. You will be amazed.

I agree, you really have to do your homework before you hit the stores. Know what the prices are at home, or on the internet, so you can compare "apples to apples". Stick with GIA or AGS graded stones. Steer clear of any EGL graded stone, even if it looks like a good deal.

STAY CLEAR of any store that the ship recommends. This is sentence is worth rereading.

There are some very reliable and highly regarded stores in St Maarten and St Thomas. Most have service centers in the states. There are some real shysters too.

If you visit the islands on a regular basis and get to know a jeweler over the years, I 'd be comfortable with a purchase. If you plan one visit and hope for a great deal, then I'd buy at home.

Good luck!

Edited by satbeachbill

Unless you REALLY know about diamonds, I would avoid buying an engagement ring in St. Maarten. Like the previous poster said, there are some reputable merchants and also some really sleazy ones. A lot of these guys know that you only have a few hours on the island and look to take your money and hurry you out of the store as fast as possible.

The one advantage about shopping in the islands the huge selection all in one area. At home, other than big cities the selection in very limitied. You will be amazed.

I agree, you really have to do your homework before you hit the stores. Know what the prices are at home, or on the internet, so you can compare "apples to apples". Stick with GIA or AGS graded stones. Steer clear of any EGL graded stone, even if it looks like a good deal.

STAY CLEAR of any store that the ship recommends. This is sentence is worth rereading.

There are some very reliable and highly regarded stores in St Maarten and St Thomas. Most have service centers in the states. There are some real shysters too.

If you visit the islands on a regular basis and get to know a jeweler over the years, I 'd be comfortable with a purchase. If you plan one visit and hope for a great deal, then I'd buy at home.

Good luck!

I am amazed at the sheer number of jewellry stores on Front St in Phillipsburg, St. Maarten and the selection of diamonds and diamond rings on that street is spectacular. I would also suggest doing research to find out which stores have stellar reputations. You can start by searching this site. There have been many threads over the years on this subject. I'm not sure that you will save much money but I would imagine that it will be a port day that you will never forget.:)

I agree with the above posts to avoid any store recommended by any cruise line. They are given a % to recommend and the prices are usually higher. They will bait you with guarantees and horror stories however, do your homework. I have been working with a jeweler that has stores on both islands and feel they are reputable, reasonable and not overpriced. As a matter of fact, I took their card and did not buy while we visited and came home, did my research then contacted them. They beat all local markets and shipped free. Their name is Boolchands, ask for Deepak Sharma and tell him I sent you. You wont be sorry. I have purchased jewelry and cameras several times from him.

Edited by dkrimmeldogs

I agree with the above posts to avoid any store recommended by any cruise line. They are given a % to recommend and the prices are usually higher. They will bait you with guarantees and horror stories however, do your homework. I have been working with a jeweler that has stores on both islands and feel they are reputable, reasonable and not overpriced. As a matter of fact, I took their card and did not buy while we visited and came home, did my research then contacted them. They beat all local markets and shipped free. Their name is Boolchands, ask for Deepak Sharma and tell him I sent you. You wont be sorry. I have purchased jewelry and cameras several times from him.

DH Is a frequent flyer at Boolchands and we would recommend them for cameras and watches as well. I never thought of them as a place to purchase a diamond ring though.