Question for Budget Queen

Iamthesea

In 2013, you mentioned a favorite place to stay in NYC...La Quinta on 33rd. Do you have an exact address? I cannot seem to find this particular La Quinta.

We are looking for something reasonable to book near the Manhattan area in mid October. Need 2 rooms, so we are on a budget. :) Everything that I have seen is over $400 a night.

If you're willing to provide exact dates, number of people staying in each room, how you're arriving in NY (by air to which airport, by train, by bus) and your expectations for the visit (sightseeing in Manhattan, just need a place to sleep) I'm sure any number of people can help with suggestions. If room rates in Manhattan are exceptionally high during your intended stay, a hotel in nearby NJ or in Queens might work for you. Since Manhattan is a relatively small island, staying downtown might be an alternative to staying in midtown, and sometimes hotel rates can be cheaper outside of the midtown area.

Thank you for the reply. ;)

I have discovered that the La Quinta in question is booked for the dates that I needed. At this time, we are not sure if we will be coming to New York, as the hotels are looking too high.

We do not know what airport to fly into, either. There are lot's of other variables to consider. One thing is that a marriage license will have to be obtained mid week (and then a days wait period before marriage o before boarding a ship to be married) and I understand that Marriage certificates are issued in downtown Manhattan, and why we were looking there to stay. ;)

One thing is that a marriage license will have to be obtained mid week (and then a days wait period before marriage o before boarding a ship to be married) and I understand that Marriage certificates are issued in downtown Manhattan, and why we were looking there to stay. ;)

The City Clerk office issues the marriage licence and each Boro or County has a City Clerk office you can get them there as well and is good anywhere in NY State. You could even take the Staten Island Ferry and across the street in St. George is Clerk office for Staten Island (Boro Hall). Cost is $35.

The license is good for 60 days (Active Military is 180), the waiting period just 24 hours from issuance unless you get a Judicial Waiver. There is no cost for Judicial Waiver, just have to go to the Court Clerk office and appear before a judge but heck its only 24 hours, one of you is not on Death Row?

http://www.cityclerk.nyc.gov/html/marriage/license.shtml#judicial

If you don't provide exact dates, then folks can't look around for hotel deals for you. Hotwire could be a good resource as well, but it requires specific dats to see what might be available.

The mid October dates are up in the air. I am very familiar with Hotwire, Priceline, Tripadvisor, etc. and have been checking rates all over. I just can't seem to find anything reasonable in the Manhattan area.

Looks like we may have to move out to an airport area, although still not sure which airport is the best to fly into. Do all airports have access to downtown by way of subway?

The City Clerk office issues the marriage licence and each Boro or County has a City Clerk office you can get them there as well and is good anywhere in NY State. You could even take the Staten Island Ferry and across the street in St. George is Clerk office for Staten Island (Boro Hall). Cost is $35.

The license is good for 60 days (Active Military is 180), the waiting period just 24 hours from issuance unless you get a Judicial Waiver. There is no cost for Judicial Waiver, just have to go to the Court Clerk office and appear before a judge but heck its only 24 hours, one of you is not on Death Row?

http://www.cityclerk.nyc.gov/html/marriage/license.shtml#judicial

Hi Brighton Line - I already have all the information that you provided. Thank you, anyway. ;) The reason that I mentioned the 24 hour wait is because that tacks an extra day onto the already high hotel cost (3 or 4 nights x 2):eek:. We wanted to stay in Manhattan to be nearer the sites, but doesn't look like that will happen. Since we would be in Manhattan to sightsee, it seemed the most logical place to get the license.

Edited by Iamthesea

The mid October dates are up in the air. I am very familiar with Hotwire, Priceline, Tripadvisor, etc. and have been checking rates all over. I just can't seem to find anything reasonable in the Manhattan area.

Looks like we may have to move out to an airport area, although still not sure which airport is the best to fly into. Do all airports have access to downtown by way of subway?.

You definitely don't want to stay at JFK. Others will have to tell you about LGA and how to get subway access. For Newark you should look at Jersey City (Courtyard, Doubletree, Candlewood Suites, Hyatt, and Westin) to get access to PATH. This involves a car service or taxi from EWR to the hotel. Newark Airport has train access to Manhattan for $12.50/pp each way or less if you transfer to PATH at Newark to go to downtown Manhattan. You MUST be selective about your hotel at EWR.

Could you provide some sample dates you are looking at and a target budget?

Thanks...that's good information. :)

What is PATH?

October 8-12th is the long range date. Could be just the 9th-12th or 10th-12th. I have been using the weekend dates to get pricing since the weekend is usually the most expensive. ;)

PATH is a subway system that connects Newark, Jersey City, and Hoboken to 33rd & 6th (Herald Square) and the World Trade Center. http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps.html

I actually find the weekdays to be more expensive than weekends. Are you really staying on a weekend (PATH is currently not running to the World Trade Center on weekends). The best overall weekday deal I'm seeing out there is the Newark Penn Station Hilton on LastMinuteTravel.com for $138. This hotel has an airport shuttle from EWR. It is directly across the street from Newark Penn Station and has a sky bridge connecting to the station. NJ Transit trains run to New York Penn Station about 4 times an hour for $5/pp each way. PATH trains currently run on weekdays only to World Trade Center for $2.50/pp, but you can transfer at Journal Square to go to Greenwich Village and Herald Square.

There are less expensive hotels at the airport, but by the time you factor in the $12.50/pp cost to ride the train from the airport plus all the extra time to take a hotel shuttle back to a terminal and ride Airtrain to the train station, IMO they are not competitive enough. However, if budget is a big factor, I can explore other options for you.

Thank you... let's hold off on anymore research right now. ;) I am so confused and not sure of what to do. I don't know PATH from Transit trains. Newark Penn from NY Penn or Hoboken. :eek::D

The rate you see at the Newark Penn Station Hilton sounds good, though. :)

Yes, we would definitely be there through the weekend - 10th to 12th.

If you're feeing confused about the trains, then The Newark Penn Station Hilton is for you. You walk across the sky walk to the station, buy a $5 NJTransit ticket to New York Penn Station and you will be in the heart of Manhattan in 22 minutes.

If you're there on a weekend this Oct, then PATH is not running for you.

Thank you so much. You have been very helpful! I also found a web page that explains the rail/transportation choices and have a better understanding.

I'll let you know if I need anymore help, but as you said, the Hilton makes a lot of sense. :)

Hope it works out for you. Newark is highly urban, so take normal safety precautions. Folks who want to spend time in NYC have been very happy with this hotel because of its proximity to good transportation. There are lots of interesting Spanish and Portuguese restaurants in the nearby Ironbound District.

Will you not fly because a significant percentage of airline crashes have pilot error as a contributing factor?

Not going to drive because from time to time someone will drive against the flow of traffic?

I don't think you should assign too much importance to something because someone happened to make a mistake on a particular day. Stuff happens all over all the time...even in your home town.