Making the most of time in Copenhagen

Does anyone have any opinions on the "Must See" places/things in Copenhagen? We have a day and a half to see the city before boarding the ship, and the information I've read has SO overwhelmed me that I'm just brain-frazzled. We want to use our time wisely, so I want to be organized, with a tour mapped out for us. We have the afternoon of the day we arrive (plane lands about 10:30) and a full day after that plus (maybe) the morning of the day we board our cruise. Suggestions or websites that might help filter it for us?

Ann

http://tomsportguides.com/

http://www.tomsportguides.com/Copenhagen-09-30-2012.pdf

What to see in Copenhagen:

The major points of interest for a day in Copenhagen include (all marked on my map):

The Little Mermaid – Personally, I don’t get the attraction to this, but I’m listing it here because I’d feel remiss if I didn’t. For some reason, it’s one of the most popular attractions. Perhaps my indifference stems from the fact we have a very similar statue on a rock here in Vancouver and people couldn’t care less about it. I dunno.

Tivoli Gardens – is a major attraction with amusement rides, beer gardens, and more. It’s a great place to spend a summer evening which I did once a few years ago when I was in Copenhagen on business. I’d highly recommend it if you’re in Copenhagen pre or post-cruise. This time we didn’t visit as it could have easily consumed our entire day and we had other things we wanted to see on this visit. It’s open from 11AM til midnight or later and it’s 95DKK to enter. Website.

Radhuspladsen (City Hall Square) – Across the street from Tivoli gardens is one of the main city squares in front of Copenhagen City Hall. The famous pedestrian only shopping street “Strøget” starts here

Stroget – The longest pedestrian only shopping street in Europe (apparently). It’s not really that long, you can walk it in about 20-30 minutes. But if you’re a shopper, you will find this to be a great way to spend some time. It runs from Radhuspladsen to Kongens Nytorv square near Nyhaven.

Rundetaarn – a 17th century tower in central Copenhagen that was built as an astronomical observatory with a long spiral ramp to the top (no lift) with great views. Due to being on crutches, we did not opt to ascend to the lookout. Admission is 25DKK… Website.

Rosenburg Castle and the Royal Treasure - This is not really a castle in my mind… maybe more of a palace? It dates from 1624 and is home to the Crown Jewels… 80DKK fee. There are more details on their website… We only visited the outside and took some pictures in the adjacent gardens.

Marble Church – There’s an interesting story and history to this place… Wikipedia entry. I wouldn’t go out of my way to visit this, but if you’re passing by, as we were, it’s worth a quick stop.

Amalienborg (Palace) – the winter home of the Danish Royal Family with four buildings framing a large octagonal courtyard/square. You’ll likely be passing through this on your way to/from Nyhaven.

Nyhaven – The 17th century waterfront with the famous brightly coloured buildings and historical wooden boast lined by many bars and restaurants. We spent the late afternoon here enjoying some lunch and beer at one of the many patio dining establishments. There’s also some good ice cream options and great people watching to be had here. Lots of folks were lined up for a canal boat ride (more on that in the how to get around section).

For a limited time:

Viking Exhibit at the National Museum – Thanks to Cruisemom, I was made aware of a special Viking Exhibit at the National Museum in Copenhagen before we departed. I believe it’s there until mid-November when it will move on to the British National Museum. If you’re interested in Viking exhibits, this is a great one to see (and it’s almost free – with a small online reservation fee)… it’s up there with the Viking Ship Museum in Oslo in my opinion. Details are on the website

What order to see these in?

This obviously depends on how you intend to get around, but if you do the public bus and then some walking, the most effective order is probably the order in which I listed these sites above. Start by taking the bus to Radhuspladsen which is right at Tivoli Gardens and the City Hall. From there stroll down the Stroget until you need to veer left (North) for the Rundetaarn and then from there proceed further to the Castle at which point, you can cut eastward towards the Marble Church, pass through the Palace courtyard before running south and ending up at Nyhavn for a snack, lunch or refreshment. Then you can head to Kongens Nytorv for more shopping or to catch the bus back to the ship.

If you happen to go to Copenhagen in the next few months and want to see the Viking Exhibit I mentioned above, book yourself for first thing in the morning and make that your first stop. The bus stops nearby (marked on my map) and then it’s a short walk from there to Radhuspladsen where the rest of my recommended itinerary starts.

How to get around Copenhagen:

As usual, you have a choice of HOHO or public transit.

Canal Boat Tours / HOHO Boat

There are also a variety of water tours you can take. We didn’t look into this as it wasn’t a priority for us, but I did notice that Stroma (the same company that operates a Open Top Tours HOHO buses in Copenhagen) offers a full range of canal boat tours and a HOHO boat... Link

If you want to combine the HOHO Boat and Bus, you can do that too… Link

HOHO Bus

All three companies mentioned in my introduction at the top of this thread operate here. While we opted to utilize public transit, we know several people that utilized the HOHO in Copenhagen. One couple that used the Red Buses company regretted their choice (they just hopped on the first HOHO bus they saw). They said it was run by a Russian company and they were left temporarily stranded when the bus they were on broke down. They had to wait until the next bus in circulation caught up to them. There were not impressed. Hence, I would avoid the “Red Bus” company. Use City Sightseeing (also red buses with yellow lettering) or the Open Top Tours company (green buses).

Here are their websites:

City Sightseeing (175DKK):

Open Top Tours (195DKK):

Red Bus (25 Euro)

Public Transit

City bus #26 runs between the two major cruise piers in Copenhagen (Freeport and Langelinie) and Radhuspladsen (City Hall Square) with key stops inbetween if needed. The nearest stops are marked on my map. The stop near Langelinie is called Indiakaj. The one near Freeport is called Kalkbrænderihavnsgade (LOL). Both are marked on my Google Map along with the location of the cruise piers. They are both a short walk from the ship.

You can see the stops for the downtown buses (including #26) in detail on this map (marked with dots along the route). You will see bus #26 enters the map at the top (which is right near Langeline pier) and traces a route that goes south west to the castle, then south east towards the Marble Church and Palace, and then south west again towards Tivoli and Radhusladsen.

A map covering a larger area (and a bit more unruly to view) is here

Note that although the above map shows bus #26 going along the Langeline pier, it did not do that when we were there. It’s last (terminus) stop is at the turning circle at the Indiakaj stop.

The bus costs 24DKK per person for a single trip (or about 3-Euro). You can buy tickets from the bus driver. The bus driver we had took both DKK and Euro for payment for bus tickets. They don’t carry a lot of change so don’t bring large bills. He spoke English and was happy to remind us where our desired stop was (we wanted to get off close to the National Museum).

Coming back to the ship at the end of the day, the most convenient place to catch the bus is probably at Kongens Nytorv square near Nyhavn. The bus stop is obvious and the bus number is noted on the sign. I’ve also marked a couple of other stops on the map that may be more convenient depending on where you end up. You won’t have to wait long for a bus. However, note the destination of the bus and double-check with the driver that they are going to either Langeline or Freeport as they don’t go to both (I think the buses alternate). And don’t just ask him if he’s going to the cruise ship (LOL) as the answer to that would be “yes” no matter what terminal he’s going to. I think our bus was marked Indiakaj (which is the last stop going to Langeline) or Langelindekaj (from some other account I’ve read) – I don’t recall exactly. I believe the bus going to Freeport will be marked “Færgehavn Nord” which is the last stop on that version of the route.

skip Little Mermaid, it's out of the way and nothing to see.

must-do is Tivoli at night.

walk from Nyhaven down the Stroget and you will run into Tivoli.

Christiania is also a must see.

the pastries are to die for!!!!!!

Please tell us more about your visit to Christiana. Did you go on your own or did you take a tour? How you get there via public transit?

Please tell us more about your visit to Christiana. Did you go on your own or did you take a tour? How you get there via public transit?

Public transportation to Christiania is easy - tak metro to Christianshans Station - the a 250 m walk down Prinsessegade to Christiania.

Here is some more inspiration

Copenhagen Canal Tours (canal boats)

[YOUTUBE]scteUC-p-Kg[/YOUTUBE]

Royal Copenhagen Tour (Walking tour)

[YOUTUBE]PGQ-j39Kwng[/YOUTUBE]

Tivoli Garden

[YOUTUBE]rMPD-tVboWk[/YOUTUBE]

Copenhagen Harbour Buses (alternative to canal tours)

[YOUTUBE]AcXUIDF_Alw[/YOUTUBE]

I don't do tours (except in StP of course). anyway, you absolutely do NOT need a tour to visit Christiania. I was staying in Kongens Nytorv and simply walked. but as mentioned above there is a convenient Metro stop called Christianshaven. don't miss the Laghueset Bakery in Christianshaven (spelled wrong). it's a chain and you see them all over but that one in particular is excellent. also Meyers Bageri near Nyhaven is awesome.

If you dock at Langelinie, you are very close to the Little Mermaid.

What do you think is special, for a tourist, in Christiania?

Christiania is a fascinating study of an urban experiment that works. there is not a specific thing a tourist must see except the place itself! people people, the signs, the "entering the EU" post, it's a unique and interesting place to experience. do you not think so, Viking??

Interesting.....we had planned to go to Christiania, but some Danes (people at hotel desk, a waitress in a restaurant) told us not to bother. We ended up giving it a pass and it freed up time to take a canal cruise. Canal cruise in Copenhagen was much better than the one in Stockholm.

Bee

Please, no disrespect meant here but The Little Mermaid is one of the main attractions in Europe, let alone just Copenhagen. Why would you even suggest not even paying it a visit? If it didn't work for you, so be it, I loved my little visit to Ms. Mermaid, something I had seen pixs of all my life and finally got to see the real thing.

Out of the way, not really, it is fairly close to the Marble church, the palace and even Nyhavn, just part of a great walking tour.

Cheers

Len

Christiania is a fascinating study of an urban experiment that works. there is not a specific thing a tourist must see except the place itself! people people, the signs, the "entering the EU" post, it's a unique and interesting place to experience. do you not think so, Viking??

My answer is NO!

I do not want to turn this into a political discussion, but I was there when it started and multiple times up to now. I will have some old friends living there. Yes despite my conservative leanings I have very liberal friends.

Wonder who told you that it works? Ask the police and firefighters what they think of the anarchist 's heaven in the former military camp they occupied illegally.

They wanted to have the benefits of society without participating in the cost of such society.

I will leave it at this.

Just re-read my previous post.

Then I thought that we today visit and treasure many places around the world based on rebellious behavior etc. and perhaps Christiania will become an iconic place 100 yeas from now.

However, I still will not waste my time there while on a short visit to Copenhagen.

Edited by The Viking

• 2 weeks later...
skip Little Mermaid, it's out of the way and nothing to see. must-do is Tivoli at night. walk from Nyhaven down the Stroget and you will run into Tivoli. Christiania is also a must see. the pastries are to die for!!!!!!

Appreciate the super excellent listing from 4774Papa, plus so many of the other ideas, tips and suggestions. Really liked the canal boat ride. Saw this great city for different angles and perspectives.

Night time is very special. Don't missing seeing Tivoli in the evening. Very much like magic, even for us older kids. Walking around and soaking it up is so special, interesting and fun. Exciting!! Depends on your personal interests and tastes. The location is handy and the size of this compact park makes things easy to sample in a reasonable period of time.

Won't get in the middle of the The Little Mermaid debate. It is fairly small, but interesting. Maybe a little disappointing compared those BIG, BIG expectations. Lots of great options here in this amazing city. Much depends on your personal interests, including how much for museums, architecture, art, food, etc.

Copenhagen: Why Walking Back to the Ship Is Super Great!!!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=975779

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 150,534 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Copenhagen's City Hall and its large Square are in the heart of the main downtown, near Tivoli and the central train station. Completed in 1905, it was designed in the "National Romantic" style with inspiration from the Siena City Hall. Dominated by its richly-ornamented front wth the gilded statue of Absalon just above the balcony, its tall, slim clock tower is 345.6 feet or 105.6 meters tall. It is one of the tallest buildings in Denmark.:

1-CPH-CityHall.jpg

Copenhagen’s Nyhavn or “new” Harbor is actually old and charming. This waterfront entertainment district is lined by brightly colored 17th and early 18th century townhouses and bars, cafes and restaurants. Serving as a "heritage harbor", the canal also has many historical wooden ships. Lots of people and fun activity!!:

Boat.jpg

A guard and statue in front of the current Royal Palace in Copenhagen. Amalienborg Slot includes four rococo-styled residences of Denmark’s royal family. This site includes a museum surrounding an octagonal cobblestone courtyard. You can witness the Royal guards walk from Rosenborg Castle to Amalienborg Palace for the Changing of the Guard daily at noon. Adult fee for museum about $13. For more info, see: ses.dk/amalienborg.:

1-CPH-PalaceonWalk.jpg

Copenhagen's canal views and going under a bridge. YES, doing this canal tour is a must-do to allow better views of the various historic buildings from a relaxing angle in this Royal city.:

1A-Copenh-CanalViews.jpg

At Tivoli, their main gate is lighted in a spectacular and welcoming manner. Walt Disney was inspired in 1950 to construct Disneyland after visiting this park in the heart of Copenhagen. Tivoli opened in 1843 and encompasses eight hectares with 1,000 trees and 400,000 summer flowers planted throughout the gardens. It boasts upwards of 40 restaurants, a Chinese-style pantomime theater, open-air concert stage, amusement park and Denmark’s longest salt-water aquarium. In the evening, the park is lighted up with Chinese lanterns, multi-colored lights, etc. That truly makes it a “Magic Kingdom” to make Disney happy. Website at: tivoligardens.com.:

TivoliGateNight.jpg

Here is one of Tivoli’s most unique buildings “showing off” with its covering of spectacular lighting. Thomas Edison would be proud! Tivoli has a wide variety of entertainment happening each day and evening. We enjoyed a super energized “BIG BAND” performance, including the Duke’s famed “Night Train” sounds. This park inspired Walt Disney for his great 20th Century creations! Tivoli’s history goes back to 1843.:

TivoliOrientNight.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I will be in Copenhagen only 1 or 2 nights prior to cruise in September 2015. Just reading this today has helped me think of how I want to spend my time there.

Couple of questions: safety of Tivoli Gardens at night for solo female travelers?

Any suggestions for nice hotel/guest house in Copenhagen that will be convenient to HOHO bus, Tivoli Gardens, walking tour, and canal cruise, and not too far from ship port?

Thank you!

Are these sights open in October? My cruise leaves Hamburg, Ge in Oct of 2015 and I am starting my planning! I know, so little time to decide what to do! How cold can I expect it to be? How long are the days?

Tivoli got its Halloween theme from October the 10th to November the 2nd.

I will be in Copenhagen only 1 or 2 nights prior to cruise in September 2015. Just reading this today has helped me think of how I want to spend my time there.

Couple of questions: safety of Tivoli Gardens at night for solo female travelers?

Any suggestions for nice hotel/guest house in Copenhagen that will be convenient to HOHO bus, Tivoli Gardens, walking tour, and canal cruise, and not too far from ship port?

Thank you!

Tivoli is very safe, but avoid a hotel on the other side of the central station.

It isn't a particular hotel I was thinking off, there is some strip clubs, erotic shops and street hookers around that area of Vesterbro so it attracts shady people.

But the reputation of the area is getting better and some of the hotels are getting good reviews on tripadvisor like the Andersen Hotel.