Lanyard Pool Question

cloudshoveller

On this board I have been getting great ideas from the posts about what to bring/not to bring. Some have suggested wearing a lanyard and you can 1) punch a hole through your Sea Pass Card or 2) get one with a container where you can carry your Sea Pass Card and credit card with a bit of cash.

I had found 2 online for myself and my DH and was just about to order them online and then I started wondering: what do you do when you want to swim in the pool? Are the Sea Pass Cards waterproof? But if we were carrying our c/c and some cash we couldn't take them in the pool anyway. What do you do with your stuff when you both go swimming?

Thanks in advance for handling my question. Hope I'm not overlooking an obvious answer here...

We are going to put our S&S card and any $$ double bagged in small zip-lock baggies and then in the zippered lanyard style thingy. Some ships as well as Cruise Critic sells what they call a Water Safe. Same concept as far as around your neck on a string but it is waterproof.

Hope this helps. Cari

Aren't you carrying a book, towel, sunscreen, etc... to the pool? Bring a small tote, and stick it in there...it'll be fine. You won't be that far away.

Or, wear the lanyard into the water, if you feel you must....it's plastic and waterproof!

I always stick mine in a book--it's my bookmark when I'm at the pool or beach.

On the ship, cash and credit cards should be locked in the safe...there's no reason to have to carry those things with you, as the ship is "cashless".

Thanks you guys! It must seems strange to get such basic questions to those of you to whom cruising is like second nature. That's why I think everyone on the boards is so nice for answering these questions of the "newbies".

I think I will get one of this little water safe's for excursions and with the ship being cashless, don't need to worry about it around the pool.

Thanks!

Aren't you carrying a book, towel, sunscreen, etc... to the pool? Bring a small tote, and stick it in there...it'll be fine. You won't be that far away.

Or, wear the lanyard into the water, if you feel you must....it's plastic and waterproof!

I always stick mine in a book--it's my bookmark when I'm at the pool or beach.

On the ship, cash and credit cards should be locked in the safe...there's no reason to have to carry those things with you, as the ship is "cashless".

I wouldn't swim with it, I left my card in my pocket once, and the plastic lamination they print your name, folio number, etc. on started to peel off, and the folio number became unreadable (this was on princess last year and they typed your folio number into the computer, didn't scan the card). I had to get the card replaced, and since I had a coke sticker on it too, that was a bit of a pain to have replaced.

No worries leaving it with your towel, in your bag or sandals, etc.

Thanks MarkSeattle, I will be sure not to swim with it then. Living in a huge city the idea of "leaving our belongings" out whilst we walk away seems so foreign to me as we normally have to be so vigilant about everything.

This is just one more sign to me how nice it will be to be able to truly relax onboard!

• 2 months later...

I don't take the passes into the pool with me...I usually have a nylon gym bag that I bring to the deck and put our books, etc in that...I'll put the cards in there when I'm in the pool and take them out when I get out...

We had been using lanyards that a tour company gave us some time back, but I found lanyards from our alma maters (Michigan State for me, and the U for my partner), so we can represent while on vacation....

:)

• 2 weeks later...

See I never thought about the fact that you don't need cash with you all the time.... that on a cruise everything is already done for you.... wow. Of course I grew up about 30 mins from Hollywood and was taught to not leave your personal items out for thieves to take, but it feels better if you put them in a closed bag. Then if anyone steals anything it might take them more than a few seconds to do it and you might be able to catch them.... of course I trust that no one's going to go riffling through my bag- my boyfriend won't even do that when I tell him to... i think he's afraid he'd get attacked by the leprechauns that live in there. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Archived