Costa Maya Tram/Open Air Bus question

loston815

Hello- As I'm reading these threads of what to do - a lot of people mentioned the tram/open air bus option. How does it work to? Does it also take you back to your ship? Also if I were to take it -- which stops take you to the beach. I think I read that Blue Kay is the first stop. Any other stops for beach?

Thanks in advance!

Just went there a few days ago. You buy the ticket at a stand as you exit the port area. Think it only goes 1 way and so you need a taxi in the way back. Taxis are $2pp and the tram is $1 more at $3pp. But we took the tram because it was interesting.

It no longer stops at Blue Kay. The 1st stop was about 500 yards past Blue Kay and we had to walk back. When I asked the guy he said they don't stop at Blue Kay. There are other stops along the beach but we got off at the 1st because we were headed to Blue Kay.

Btw- Blue Kay was a great spot. As others have said it was $5 for a beach chair and it included a drink. A great day for $10pp including transportation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Tram stops at Tequila Beach first, because the owner has $$interest in the port and tram service. Blue Kay has a separate entrance off the street where you have to drive down to the buildings. TB has an easier turn around. And unless something changed when BK first opened, as I recall TB has always been the first stop. BTW it's the only stop directly at the entrance to a beach club. All the other tram stops are at the nearest cross street to the club you tell the driver you want to go to.

Do we catch a taxi or tram from the same area outside the port? Since trams don't stop at Blue Kay, it just seems easier to get a taxi unless taxis are hard to come by or the taxi stand is far from port. I would greatly appreciate any input as to which is easier to get to Blue Kay.

Thank you!

Has anyone ever tried walking to Blue Kay? According to Google maps, it would only be a 22 minute walk from the cruise pier. I was thinking about trying to walk there with my family of 7 to save the taxi fare since it's so close, but didn't know if the path they show is good for pedestrians or not.

Grab a taxi just outside the port gates. After you go through the fake Maya wall entrance at the end of the pier, hang to your right and follow the shop line on your right and you'll come to an exit between 2 shops. Take that and then go straight across the parking lot through the gate and you'll see taxis waiting.

Tell the driver you want to go to Blue Kay. he'll go straight down the divided street to the highway, turn left and go about a kilometer and turn right. When he turns right, you'll see a sign for Blue Kay entrance about 50 meters down on your left. He should turn in there.

Edited by crewsweeper

Has anyone ever tried walking to Blue Kay? According to Google maps, it would only be a 22 minute walk from the cruise pier. I was thinking about trying to walk there with my family of 7 to save the taxi fare since it's so close, but didn't know if the path they show is good for pedestrians or not.

It's a $2 taxi ride. Actually one of the few things I've experienced in any port that I thought was a bargain. Yes I think it could be walked but is it worth having 7 people walk for 20+ minutes to save $14? There wasn't much to see on the way either. If there were shops or buildings or something interesting maybe. But there's not.

• 4 weeks later...
It's a $2 taxi ride. Actually one of the few things I've experienced in any port that I thought was a bargain. Yes I think it could be walked but is it worth having 7 people walk for 20+ minutes to save $14? There wasn't much to see on the way either. If there were shops or buildings or something interesting maybe. But there's not.

Exactly! Take a taxi - totally worth it! We were just there last week (April 26, 2016) and the heat was exhausting!

• 3 months later...

Bargain or not I would opt for the walk if it is only a 20 minute walk. The exercise is good for you. We have walked a lot further at other ports.

Bargain or not I would opt for the walk if it is only a 20 minute walk. The exercise is good for you. We have walked a lot further at other ports.

Here is an interesting blog from Steve ex Tropicante regarding transport to town, and a link to an older article

https://ahhhmahahual.com/2016/01/11/how-to-transport-from-the-costa-maya-port-into-the-town-of-mahahual/

He reckons the walk is nearer to 45 mins. Originally I remember people could walk along the coast path but I think maybe that stopped after the hurricane?

Edited by c-leg5

Here is an interesting blog from Steve ex Tropicante regarding transport to town, and a link to an older article

https://ahhhmahahual.com/2016/01/11/how-to-transport-from-the-costa-maya-port-into-the-town-of-mahahual/

He reckons the walk is nearer to 45 mins. Originally I remember people could walk along the coast path but I think maybe that stopped after the hurricane?

C-leg5, thank you for this link!!

• 1 month later...

Ha ha. We tried walking along the coast (or thought we could) a while ago--it was maybe a year before the hurricane. We made it, but it was an adventure because at that time anyway after a while you couldn'tt walk the coast--except maybe in the water--due to big rocks, small cliffs, jungle right to the edge, etc.

So, we (60 somethings) walked along a dirt road that led into the jungle and seemed endless. Saw groups of men hacking at the jungle with machetes, no idea why. We felt very uneasy; it did help that a car came along--it happened to be the tour guide we had had on our ruins tour earlier--she recognized us and stopped to talk, made us feel better.

Anyway, we finally got to the port area to be met by a huge concrete wall with no discernible way around it. We ended up wading out into the very rocky and slightly rough water to get around the wall and finally into the port area!

And that's what memories are made of!

Walking along the highway would be easier, lots of traffic though. Maybe the coastal 'path' does go through now?

Ha ha. We tried walking along the coast (or thought we could) a while ago--it was maybe a year before the hurricane. We made it, but it was an adventure because at that time anyway after a while you couldn'tt walk the coast--except maybe in the water--due to big rocks, small cliffs, jungle right to the edge, etc.

So, we (60 somethings) walked along a dirt road that led into the jungle and seemed endless. Saw groups of men hacking at the jungle with machetes, no idea why. We felt very uneasy; it did help that a car came along--it happened to be the tour guide we had had on our ruins tour earlier--she recognized us and stopped to talk, made us feel better.

Anyway, we finally got to the port area to be met by a huge concrete wall with no discernible way around it. We ended up wading out into the very rocky and slightly rough water to get around the wall and finally into the port area!

And that's what memories are made of!

Walking along the highway would be easier, lots of traffic though. Maybe the coastal 'path' does go through now?

Here is an interesting old thread discussing the walk along coastal path that people used to follow.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=295277

(especially posts 11 and 15)

I am sure the walk was open in 2004. We found the path but didn't go all the way. I think the wall was perhaps built in 2005? Maybe some old time cruisers will remember.