Is NCL's compensation to displaced Dawn passengers fair?

Should Carol54 fight for additional compensation?  

719 members have voted

1. 1. Should Carol54 fight for additional compensation?

• Yes!
    • No.
    • I don't know...

NCL announced today that, due to problems with the ship's Azipod propulsion system, Norwegian Dawn's May 26 and June 2 cruises have been canceled:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=1992

NCL is offering passengers who are booked on those voyages a full refund and 25 percent credit toward another cruise. Carol54 says that amount doesn't cover the rate increase since she booked.

Is this fair? Vote -- and be sure to post your opinion!

Just to give you an idea of the difference ...

I figured it out and for me to rebook the same cruise for July, figuring in the 25% credit, will still cost an additional $3,000. Why should NCL be making even more money off their displaced passengers?

Also, I think the poll question may be confusing to some. The thread is "do you think NCL's compensation is fair? But then the actual poll question is:

"NCL is offering passengers who are booked on those voyages a full refund and 25 percent credit toward another cruise. Carol54 says that amount doesn't cover the rate increase since she booked.

Is this fair?"

Well, hopefully, you have insurance for the cruise. But most will not. I do feel very bad for cancelled cruises. This puts a hard ship on around 5000 passengers over the 2 different cruises with last minute changes and cancellations. But if you rad the fine pirnt on the contact that the cruise lines this goes for all cruise lines, they are protected. Just like the airlines a few weeks back and cancelled hundreds of flights. Causing over 100,000 passengers no foghts for a few days....:(

If someone is going to book the same ship, I'm of the opinion that it shouldn't cost them more than they originally paid (regardless of which week they book). In fact (again just my opinion) they should get the same type of cabin they originally booked for 25% less than they originally paid.

If someone books a different ship, than I do think it's fair compensation.

And yes, I do know that according to the cruise contract, they aren't legally entitled to anything other than a refund.

-Monte

Well, hopefully, you have insurance for the cruise. But most will not. I do feel very bad for cancelled cruises. This puts a hard ship on around 5000 passengers over the 2 different cruises with last minute changes and cancellations. But if you rad the fine pirnt on the contact that the cruise lines this goes for all cruise lines, they are protected. Just like the airlines a few weeks back and cancelled hundreds of flights. Causing over 100,000 passengers no foghts for a few days....:(

I posted this on another board, but this is comparing Apples and Bowling Balls.

Flights cancelled to weather are not the airlines problems. If an airline cancels your flight due to their mechanical issues, you will be rebooked at no cost, given hotel vouchers (if overnight stay is required) or food vouchers (if the delay is a few hours).

In this case, NCL cancelled due to a mechanical problem that they knew was coming (see all previous trip reports of slowing engines and changing itineraries) hence, NCL should AT A MINIMUM give the same or similar cabin/cruise to passengers at NO ADDITIONAL COST than already paid by their customers.

Since it wasn't your fault you're changing dates, they should rebook you to the same accommodations for the same price on an alternate date.

With this said, I would agree on a blackout for Christmas/New Years week or something that's obviously ultra-premium pricing, but they should flex enough for something that's at least in a similar calendar season (July instead of May) even though the prices are higher in July.

If someone is going to book the same ship, I'm of the opinion that it shouldn't cost them more than they originally paid (regardless of which week they book). In fact (again just my opinion) they should get the same type of cabin they originally booked for 25% less than they originally paid.

I was just thinking I should have added "provided they are booking the same itinerary"

-Monte

Just to give you an idea of the difference ...

I figured it out and for me to rebook the same cruise for July, figuring in the 25% credit, will still cost an additional $3,000. Why should NCL be making even more money off their displaced passengers?

Also, I think the poll question may be confusing to some. The thread is "do you think NCL's compensation is fair? But then the actual poll question is:

"NCL is offering passengers who are booked on those voyages a full refund and 25 percent credit toward another cruise. Carol54 says that amount doesn't cover the rate increase since she booked.

Is this fair?"

That is why I never book a suite or mini-suite. Prices vary considerably with suites. The sooner you book you usually get a cheaper price. If the suites book out quickly since there are so few of them compared to other cabins., their prices can easily double to triple by the time of the cruise.

If you can afford a suite, you can afford cruise insurance.

Scenario

I am Carol 54, a misplaced cruiser that have to rearrange my cruise. I cannot go May 26 or June 2 because of the repairs that need to be done. Okay I want to go instead on June 16. What you are proposing is NCL should book me on that cruise in the same GV I booked for the May 26 cruise? What happens to the passengers that have already booked that stateroom?

I understand that Carol54 is booked in an stateroom that not many people book, but what happens to the other people in a BB or BA stateroom? Is NCL to kick those people out of their staterooms to accommodate those misplaced from the May 26, June 2 cruise? :confused: :confused:

Just where does it stop????

As upset as I would be and I am sure others are, i don't beleive the cruise line (any cruise line for that matter) should have to give you the same rate on another cruise. You are talking about the original dates being shoulder season compared to wanting to book in July, which is high season. I do think the season has to be taken into consideration. As for the airlines, yes, if it is mechanical they do put you on the next flight, even then often they will suggest you fly to a different, but close by airport. Of course again, we are usually talking a few hours or a day, I really don't think you can compare what the airlines do in a case like this to a cruise ship. This pod problem is just hitting so many ships and there doesn't seem to be a fair answer. If the ship doesn't go into dry dock the problem will just get worse, if it goes there are many unhappy cruisers. NMnita

Scenario

I am Carol 54, a misplaced cruiser that have to rearrange my cruise. I cannot go May 26 or June 2 because of the repairs that need to be done. Okay I want to go instead on June 16. What you are proposing is NCL should book me on that cruise in the same GV I booked for the May 26 cruise? What happens to the passengers that have already booked that stateroom?

I understand that Carol54 is booked in an stateroom that not many people book, but what happens to the other people in a BB or BA stateroom? Is NCL to kick those people out of their staterooms to accommodate those misplaced from the May 26, June 2 cruise? :confused: :confused:

Just where does it stop????

I don't think that is what Carol54 is proposing. Clearly, no one is going to be forced to give up their stateroom for a displaced passenger. However, using your example let's see how this goes:

I am Carol 54, a misplaced cruiser that have to rearrange my cruise. I cannot go May 26 or June 2 because of the repairs that need to be done. Okay I want to go instead on the first available date where my original "type" stateroom is available. Except, now I have to pay extra money to get the same thing I already paid for? In this case, since it was a Garden Villa, I have to pony up an extra $3k.

Bottom line, NCL should honor the original booking AT A MINIMUM. Asking for more money is robbery.

The airlines cancelled due to weather - out of their control. This way totally within NCL's control. They knew about the problem back in February but waited until the rates went up to cancel these two cruises. And yes, I do have insurance. But what good is it in this situation. I'm getting a full refund. I just can't rebook anything for the same price. Looks like I'm being taking my $20K plus and rebooking within another cruiseline and then at some future date using the 25% ($6K) to cruise on NCL's dime.

And one more thing. Spoke with NCL - after the cruise credit I would have to pony up an additional $8,000. Just can't justify it. I'll be taking my business elsewhere.

The airlines cancelled due to weather - out of their control. This way totally within NCL's control.
To be fair, NCL didn't plan a break of the azipod. They don't control that just like we don't control our cars breaking down.
They knew about the problem back in February but waited until the rates went up to cancel these two cruises.
Is this fact or your opinion? From what I've read on this board over the years, you have to wait for drydock availability. You can't just show up. It takes time to schedule it. Also, it doesn't make sense for them to wait until the prices went up to cancel those two cruises because the higher priced sailings are selling. It would make more sense for them to cancel cruises when they have lots of empty space. But again, I'm sure they canceled the cruises only when drydock time was available.
Looks like I'm being taking my $20K plus and rebooking within another cruiseline and then at some future date using the 25% ($6K) to cruise on NCL's dime.
That's exactly what I"d do if I felt NCL was being unfair. On the other thread I told you that I'm totally with you on this one so don't think I think you shouldn't get a cruise for the same cost. I just think you're starting to make this personal when it isn't.

then at some future date using the 25% ($6K) to cruise on NCL's dime.

am i missing something here?

the way i understand it to be, NCL is refunding the cancelled cruises and extending a 25% discount off the rate of another NCL booking. I doubt they are going to give you all your $$$ back and then also basically give you $6k as well.

Not making it personal at all. They are just facts. If it's true that it takes months to schedule a dry dock then NCL knew about their dry dock long before today. In any event, good customer relations would dictate not treatiing passengers this way.

Before today, I had never even looked at another cruiseline. I was happy with NCL. What happened today has forced me to do so and will most likely result in my booking elsewhere. Not my loss. But certainly NCL's.

This is the same compensation we got for the Thansgiving cruise on the Dawn that went to Norfolk. We received a full refund for that cruise and the 25% off the future cruise was based on the price we paid for the Thanksgiving. I can understand why people are upset as the prices have doubled recently.

am i missing something here?

the way i understand it to be, NCL is refunding the cancelled cruises and extending a 25% discount off the rate of another NCL booking. I doubt they are going to give you all your $$$ back and then also basically give you $6k as well.

I think you are missing something. They will give you 25% off the rate you paid for the CANCELLED CRUISE. However, in in the interim they raised their rates close to 50%. I cannot book a cruise with the same itnerary, same number of days for the price of the cancelled cruise. So NCL wants and ADDITIONAL $8K from me.

I think if they have room on the next available cruise and she can vacation then, they should give her the cabin for the same price AND give her 25% off. She had to change her whole schedule because of a problem they had. I would be so upset if I had to change everything. I say go on another cruiseline (I really love RCL) and use the 25% to pay for a cruise with your husband...that way you can get a "free" cruise.

I think if they have room on the next available cruise and she can vacation then, they should give her the cabin for the same price AND give her 25% off. She had to change her whole schedule because of a problem they had. I would be so upset if I had to change everything. I say go on another cruiseline (I really love RCL) and use the 25% to pay for a cruise with your husband...that way you can get a "free" cruise.

The problem is, she booked a Garden Villa. There's only two Garden Villas per ship, and with just five, soon to be six, ships with that cabin classification. There probably isn't that many unbooked Garden Villas left this summer, and there's just one ship doing that specific itinerary.

The 100% refund, with an additional 25% credit, offer is good for a year. NCL isn't going to kick someone out of a Garden Villa this summer to make room for her. She is going to have to choose from a limited number of cruises with open Garden Villas, priced differently.

If I were her, I would take a similar itinerary cruise in a less expensive cabin classification, like an Owner's Suite or Penthouse Suite, which still gets butler and coincerge service.

I'm having a really hard time feeling sorry for someone having to downgrade to an Owner's Suite for a cruise this summer. If she can afford a Garden Villa this year, she can probably afford one next year.

As for sailling on a different cruise line, none of them have accomodiations as great as NCL's Garden Villas. Therefore, she would be downgrading anyway with another cruise line.

Not making it personal at all. They are just facts.
I don't think I'm getting my thought across the right way but that's OK. Again, I get what you're saying.
If it's true that it takes months to schedule a dry dock then NCL knew about their dry dock long before today.
Again, how do you know this? This is what I mean by making it personal. There's no way to know when they knew. I imagine once the azipod broke it took some time to arrange the dry dock and they found out within a few days to a week ago and since then have been readying things for all the changes that have to be made.
In any event, good customer relations would dictate not treatiing passengers this way.
I agree that you should get your cruise at the price you originally paid. That would go a very long way.
Before today, I had never even looked at another cruiseline. I was happy with NCL. What happened today has forced me to do so and will most likely result in my booking elsewhere. Not my loss. But certainly NCL's.
I'm afraid you may run out of cruise lines if you want one that doesn't have these kinds of issues. Unfortunately it happens to all of them. If you read the other forums, you'll see the same types of things that you see here. So far we've had great luck with RCCL. Fantastic cruises every time.

Archived