Restaurant Recommendation for San Pedro or Long Beach Area.

premiumrican

The place is Parkers Lighthouse on the end of the Pier. If the weather is good, get a table outside. The last time we ate there, the food was excellent. Be sure to make reservations, particularly if you are planning to eat there on a weekend.

Lots of places to eat in Long Beach, but my favorite is the same as Ron Don';s--Parker's Lighthouse...

It's in a lighthouse style building at the "point" in Shoreline Village and has great views of the harbor and of the Queen Mary...Seafood, of course...not cheap, but not too expensive...interesting menu...

If in Pedro, I'd say hit Papadakis for Greek food...301 6th Street, IIRC...

(My other recommendation for Pedro is Acapulco...but, of course, that is a chain...A California chain as opposed to a national chain...so here's the rundown on that: It's got a primo location for Pedro--right on the water, just down the channel from the cruise pier...Menu is very reasonably priced)

Don't eat in San Pedro - - plenty of eating once on the ship. :D :D

Seriously, good place near the Sheraton - fisherman's wharf area. Can't remember the name, but only nice sit down restaurant there.

There is a fisherman's wharf area in San Pedro???? Anyhow I appreciate the suggestions so far. Don't know if we want to spend the evening in San Pedro or just take a cab and explore the Long beach area.

There is a fisherman's wharf area in San Pedro????
Probably referring to Ports 'o Call Village, which has seen better days and is now fairly run down with lots of shuttered shops. The large restaurant on the south end is OK (lots of weddings, etc.) with a great view but the food is nothing to write home about. I would stick to the ethnic food restaurants recommended above if you want to eat right in San Pedro.

The place is Parkers Lighthouse on the end of the Pier. If the weather is good, get a table outside. The last time we ate there, the food was excellent. Be sure to make reservations, particularly if you are planning to eat there on a weekend.

It looks like clarification is in order. As Steve is pointing out, Parkers Lighthouse is in Long Beach, not San Pedro, at 435 Shoreline Village Dr

Long Beach, CA 90802. This is near the Carnival berth and the Queen Mary.

There are a few restaurants in the Village (can't remember the name of the one we went too a couple of years ago).

Where to eat depends on where you're staying and whether you have a car. Unless you're going to be spending a full day in the area, I'd say eat near your hotel.

Long Beach: We recently ate at Parker's Lighthouse and the food was ok, but the service was bizarre - when the entrees came out, the server was too lazy to walk around the table and instead passed plates over our dining companion's head, assuring the recipient that it wasn't hot. It was, and she scorched her hand a bit. So I don't think I'd put it on the top of my places to go back to.

There are a ton of great non-chain restaurants downtown - Madison steak house, L'Opera (Italian) and King's Fish House all come to mind. All are located on Pine Avenue within easy walking distance of the Hyatt, Westin, Courtyard, Marriott and Hilton (the Hilton is a bit longer walk). A bit farther afield is Christie's, Lasher's or Cafe Piccolo, all of which serve excellent food.

San Pedro: I'm not crazy about Papadakis, either. It's a boisterous party place, really - they will interrupt the service to sing, belly dance, the owner will dance with his brother, etc. If you like that kind of thing (I don't) then it might make up for expensive unremarkable food and a crappy expensive wine list. But if you're staying at the Crowne Plaza hotel (formerly the Sheraton), you can walk to Neil's on 5th St. for some great Italian food. There's also Think Cafe on 6th Street, which serves an variety of food. If you're at the Doubletree in the Marina, 22nd Street Landing is not too far away and serves good seafood with a nice view of the fishing boats.

If you Google any of these restaurants you can see their menus.

Happy eating!

Where to eat depends on where you're staying and whether you have a car. Unless you're going to be spending a full day in the area, I'd say eat near your hotel.

Long Beach: We recently ate at Parker's Lighthouse and the food was ok, but the service was bizarre - when the entrees came out, the server was too lazy to walk around the table and instead passed plates over our dining companion's head, assuring the recipient that it wasn't hot. It was, and she scorched her hand a bit. So I don't think I'd put it on the top of my places to go back to.

There are a ton of great non-chain restaurants downtown - Madison steak house, L'Opera (Italian) and King's Fish House all come to mind. All are located on Pine Avenue within easy walking distance of the Hyatt, Westin, Courtyard, Marriott and Hilton (the Hilton is a bit longer walk). A bit farther afield is Christie's, Lasher's or Cafe Piccolo, all of which serve excellent food.

San Pedro: I'm not crazy about Papadakis, either. It's a boisterous party place, really - they will interrupt the service to sing, belly dance, the owner will dance with his brother, etc. If you like that kind of thing (I don't) then it might make up for expensive unremarkable food and a crappy expensive wine list. But if you're staying at the Crowne Plaza hotel (formerly the Sheraton), you can walk to Neil's on 5th St. for some great Italian food. There's also Think Cafe on 6th Street, which serves an variety of food. If you're at the Doubletree in the Marina, 22nd Street Landing is not too far away and serves good seafood with a nice view of the fishing boats.

If you Google any of these restaurants you can see their menus.

Happy eating!

Thanks for all the suggestions!!! The 22nd Street Landing looks pretty good, we all love seafood so I think that is going to be the winner.

We had dinner at The Madison Steak House tonight and it was fab! You do have to allow plenty of time - they were overwhelmed by walk in traffic tonight so we were late to our show (which wasn't very good, so no harm done), but our waitress Laurel was terrific and the food was great. Just to confuse you further, LOL!

Archived