first time in Port of San Francisco

lel5344

We'll be on the Star Princess leaving San Francisco on 10/11/2008 and returning on 10/21/2008.

I think we have our pre-cruise stay all set. We're going to fly in to SFO on 10/10 and spend the night at the Marriott Courtyard in downtown San Francisco. Looks like it's pretty easy to take an airport shuttle to the hotel and then a taxi from the hotel to the cruise ship terminal.

Question about returning: is there an airport shuttle that runs from the cruise ship terminal to the airport? Or does Princess offer any shore excursions that deliver you to the airport for an afternoon flight? We haven't booked our flights yet, so we have some flexibility.

Thanks!

You can BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) to SF airport. It is like the subway here. It should only be a couple of miles from the pier. We are cruising the same month and we are taking bart into SF, then taking a Taxi to the Pier.

BART is only 1 mile away from your hotel that you are staying at.

I take it this is the Marriott Courtyard at Second and Folsom...not the one near Fishermans Wharf?

It's a nice hotel...We stayed there a year ago, December...We chose it for its proximity to AT&T Park...not for the cruise terminal or other tourist sites...but it's a quick taxi ride to any tourist site or to the pier...

The area its in (South of Market) used to be considered sort of scuzzy...but it's experienced a rebirth of late with the new stadium and a lot of newer office buildings...there are some decent eateries in the area, but I'd still grab a cab and head up to North Beach for dinner...The hotel itself is fairly new...

We got there from the Airport the REALLY CHEAP way...BART...picked it up at the Airport and took it to the Montgomery Steet Station...then walked the 7 or 8 short blocks, rolling our luggage...you could also take a short cab ride the few blocks...I just offer that up as an alternative to a shuttle...

I'm sure you can book a shuttle back to the airport...and Princess must have some options...I just don't know because I've never done it...

Have fun...

Disembarkation is a total zoo at Pier 35. A post-cruise tour may be offered on-board the ship a few days before the cruise end. If the flight is around 1 pm, seriously consider using the ship transfer to the airport. With late departure, taxis are not a problem except one is stuck with the luggage. If one books a shuttle, then a cell phone is a must because it is almost impossible to locate the shuttle in the traffic and taxis around the pier. The line for taxis may be long but it moves fast and there are both Princess staff and SF Police controlling the taxi line.Taxis to SFO from the pier will be around $50.

Archived