Safety in New Orleans: Advice?

sailawaybellaluna

Hello all!

Getting ready to fly to New Orleans tomorrow for the first time, and I'm really looking forward to it! I'll be traveling with my husband and two children (ages 1.5 and 7.5) as well as my parents.

I'd like to know if there are any safety "rules" specific to New Orleans? I've traveled to most major cities on 6 continents, but I seem to have cold feet about the safety aspect of New Orleans. Some friends that used to live there have made me a bit nervous with their stories and list of "don'ts". I typically don't scare easy when traveling...I just want to make sure I'm aware of everything I should be aware of!

When I say "specific safety rules" I don't mean the obvious: I'm not taking any flashy jewelry, expensive purses, not a lot of cash, staying in well-lit areas, etc etc. My friend recommends only taking taxis/uber after dark. Is this a standard many people apply or is she extra cautious? We're usually a walking crowd, although we weren't planning on getting off the beaten track at night...

Any streetcars or areas we should definitely avoid? I'm thinking of the #64 bus in Rome. I studied there in college, and I remember that bus was just a "no-no" because it ran along the tourist line and people were always "accidentally" getting bumped or being asked the time...and inevitably getting off the bus with their wallet.

So, if there's any extraordinary safety advice you have specific to New Orleans (besides using common sense of course), I'd really appreciate it! Being the travel guide/planner for the entire family has made me a little extra cautious this time around, especially since our age ranges 75 years amongst us!:p

New Orleans has its share of violent crime, but the vast majority of it occurs in areas that a tourist would never set foot in. My wife and I spend just about every Saturday in the French Quarter and never feel threatened. We walk everywhere.

You seem to be well-traveled, and your instincts should keep you safe. Stay on well-lighted streets where there are lots of other people around. Watch for pickpockets. Phone-snatching was common for a while, but now with smart phones being self-tracking the snatchers have pretty much given up.

As the last poster said, most trouble happens late night/early morning, especially on Bourbon Street.

• 2 weeks later...