Cruising Solo on Carnival Victory Southern Caribbean

hilllarry

Has anyone cruised on the Carnival Victory out of San Juan? I would love to hear of your experience of the ship, people, staterooms, food, etc. Also, if you have cruised solo, I would love to hear about that as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I have cruised solo out of San Juan twice, and have another planned for March. It is my favorite port to cruise from because you are usually guaranteed warm weather from the get-go and the itinerary is slightly more port intensive than if you cruise from Florida. More bang for your buck as far as I'm concerned. A typical 7 day cruise will have at least 5-6 ports of call. Old San Juan is interesting with good shopping, restaurants, and loads of history. The Victory is a fine ship! I woudn't hesitate to cruise on her again.

Hi!!

I'm going on my first cruise on Victory - out of San Juan - this August - 28.

I'm going solo...

When are you cruising??

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger and taking Aug 28th solo myself. I'm half and half about going solo. Do you have your excursions planned yet?

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger and taking Aug 28th solo myself. I'm half and half about going solo. Do you have your excursions planned yet?

Hi!!!

No I don't!!!

But I will book this week.. maybe some snorkling in St. Thomas and some beach and shopping in St. Maarten!

I think you should go :)

I'm pretty excited !!!!

I did the Victory Southern Caribbean cruise from San Juan last November as a solo. I had a wonderful time. Back then I was able to book a 1A cabin with windows (Main/Aft) at the 150% supplement rate. But's that a thing of the past. I made some new friends on the roll call and at the meet & greet on board. The wine bar is a great place to hang out. I booked mostly all independent tours for this cruise and made instant friends with whom I then hung out with a lot on the ship. I had late traditional dining and at first was assigned to a table with a family from Puerto Rico (you will find a large number of Puerto Ricans on board this cruise). Lovely folks, but we had a language barrier. I was switched to another table for the rest of the cruise and had a great time.

What is the dining like on the Victory out of San Juan. I understand that there is no specialty dining like the Steakhouses offered on other Carnival ships. Do you have the option to at least order from that menu? Also, I would love to hear about the entertainment. Is it easy to make friends cruising solo on the Victory?

What is the dining like on the Victory out of San Juan. I understand that there is no specialty dining like the Steakhouses offered on other Carnival ships. Do you have the option to at least order from that menu? Also, I would love to hear about the entertainment. Is it easy to make friends cruising solo on the Victory?

I hope is easy to make friends :) since I'm also going solo!!!

I am not crusing until Next year, 2012 in June. I've never cruised Carnival solo but I have cruised Royal Caribbean solo. I would love to hear your experience on Carnival if you have cruised solo before. I would also love to hear about your upcoming cruise.

hilllarry@live.com

I have cruised solo w/ Carnival in October 2010. Cruised on Triumph out of NOLA. I was seated at a table w/ two other solo cruisers for dinner. Had no difficulty talking w/ other cruisers regardless if they were part of a group or solo. Even went a on an excursion w/ people I met on board. Enjoyed doing what I wanted to do w/o having to answer to anyone. Going on solo cruise #2 on Carnival Conquest in October. Can't wait. :)

Any info on crusing solo on Victory will be greatly appreciated. Looking @ booking a cruise on Victory in 2013. Cruise for 2012 is booked.

• 2 weeks later...

I went on Carnival Victory over Xmas 2009 and Caribbean Princess over Xmas 2010, solo both times. I really enjoyed both cruises but would choose Carnival Victory first if doing it again. Victory has a lay-out that I liked better than Caribbean Princess.

I found that I met more people aboard Carnival Victory and on excursions, but that could be just luck. In any case, it's easy to talk to people. I found that if I'm just going sight-seeing I prefer to just get off the ship and deal with the taxi drivers, etc. who put people together to fill their vans - I made some good friends that way. The only time I did excursions was when I wanted to do something specific, like kayaking or snorkeling.

One thing I was told by a friend is to sit at a bar occasionally and talk to the other barflies, and I found that to be good advice.

Over Xmas was interesting since there were lots of kids, but they are taken care of by the staff like they were at a summer camp so one hardly sees them. Despite the reputaton of Carnival as party ships, I found the two ships very similar and quiet.

The only warning I'd give is the obvious - they jack the prices at a time like Christmas so picking another time is cheaper.

Bryan

Archived