FYI re: deck chairs

Angeladh1981

During our Christmas cruise on the Breeze, there were employees tagging items left in deck chairs. My husband and I got a kick out of watching towels, books, sunglasses, etc, be removed from chairs and given to attendant in towel kiosk after the appropriate amount of time. Well done, Carnival!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

What a waste of time, energy and wages. A real shame. If only people could follow rules.

It is a waste of time for the employees, but it is about time it be done. I agree with the OP that this be addressed. Giving their belongings back to them is much kinder than what I would do with them.

I thought they couldn't save chairs? If that's the case, I'd just take it off myself and sit there. :p

As long as its been over 40min, you can certainly do this, but it is nice to see carnival doing the enforcing of their rule, as sometimes if you get involved yourself there can be a confrontation.. With the carnival staff doing it, you just point people to them, when they return.. much better

I thought they couldn't save chairs? If that's the case, I'd just take it off myself and sit there. :p

I am glad that Carnival is doing this. I have been on many cruises where there were no chairs...but unless I start watching a chair for 30 minutes...how would I know the people weren't in the pool, etc. Every once in a while someone will say that the chairs next to them have been empty for hours....but typically noone says anything.

I am glad that Carnival is doing this. I have been on many cruises where there were no chairs...but unless I start watching a chair for 30 minutes...how would I know the people weren't in the pool, etc. Every once in a while someone will say that the chairs next to them have been empty for hours....but typically noone says anything.

I see. Thank you for the info. :)

That's really annoying and rude people would do that.

Edited by AmandaEnzo

Sorry but I won't wait forty minutes if deck chairs just have towels in them, I move them and use the chairs now. Now if a chair has personal items in them I won't touch them just in case the person is in the pool, bathroom, getting food, etc....

we were on that cruise too and there was almost a couple of fights over this!

the first day there was a lady in front of us that had saved 17 chairs!! There were a lot of families and many of them would save an entire row. What a joke

Glad they are enforcing it!

I will say that on the Legend in March, we were on Lido at about 10 on a sea day and there were some chairs that were "saved" next to ours. We ended up just putting all of their stuff on one chair at guess what time!? 1:00!! They came back about 1:30 and got pretty violent and began throwing things at us. In this situation it would've been nice of Carnival had enforced their own rule.

Sorry but I won't wait forty minutes if deck chairs just have towels in them, I move them and use the chairs now. Now if a chair has personal items in them I won't touch them just in case the person is in the pool, bathroom, getting food, etc....

So, if I get up and go to the bar and get a drink, and only leave my towel on the chair, you will steal it.... wow, you are as bad or worse then the people who are chair hogs.. according to you, anytime someone leaves their chair to go to the bathroom, they must leave a person item on the chair or they will lose their chair..

So, if I get up and go to the bar and get a drink, and only leave my towel on the chair, you will steal it.... wow, you are as bad or worse then the people who are chair hogs.. according to you, anytime someone leaves their chair to go to the bathroom, they must leave a person item on the chair or they will lose their chair..

My rule of thumb is, if no one is sitting in it, and only a Carnival towel, than it is available. IT IS EMPTY!!!!!!!

Best suggestion I heard about chair hogs...

If after watching a reasonable amount of time, you remove items from chairs, move the chairs. When people finally show up and sees chairs are in a different order, it really confuses them because they can't figure out what chairs are "theirs".

I never get the cruisers who have no kids, don't get in the pool but feel the need to have a chair by the pool.

Me, give me a chair away from all the noise in a secluded location, a book and I am good to go.

To each their own I guess.

I have to agree with bigdog. You are worse then the chair hogs and I have no love for chair hogs.

I'm sorry but I don't find leaving a lounge chair any different than getting out of a park bench to go for a drink. You don't own those chairs. Once you leave them, you've lost them. I can see if it's a couple and one goes and the other saves their chair. Then when that person comes back, the other person goes. A simple "Spouce just went to the bathroom (wherever) and will be back shortly." That I can see but seventeen chairs in a row saved for hours with no one ever showing up is just plain rude.

Carnival has been monitoring this for the last couple of years. On the Dream in 2011, there was an officer timing the empty chairs. He instructed the cleaning crew to remove the articles left on the chairs after 30 minutes. There were some irate people but he held his ground.

Edited by RWolver672

I'm sorry but I don't find leaving a lounge chair any different than getting out of a park bench to go for a drink. You don't own those chairs. Once you leave them, you've lost them. I can see if it's a couple and one goes and the other saves their chair. Then when that person comes back, the other person goes. A simple "Spouce just went to the bathroom (wherever) and will be back shortly." That I can see but seventeen chairs in a row saved for hours with no one ever showing up is just plain rude.

Carnival has been monitoring this for the last couple of years. On the Dream in 2011, there was an officer timing the empty chairs. He instructed the cleaning crew to remove the articles left on the chairs after 30 minutes. There were some irate people but he held his ground.

I agree that that chairs saved for hours with no one showing up is rude. So you deem a couple as being more special then a solo person and gets his chair saved but a solo can not? This is rude. Either it should be if nobody is sitting there it is free for anybody else (no saving what so ever), or a person can go (to get a drink, go to the bathroom, get some food) and leave something behind (be it a spouse or a towel) and come back to his seat.

I agree that that chairs saved for hours with no one showing up is rude. So you deem a couple as being more special then a solo person and gets his chair saved but a solo can not? This is rude. Either it should be if nobody is sitting there it is free for anybody else (no saving what so ever), or a person can go (to get a drink, go to the bathroom, get some food) and leave something behind (be it a spouse or a towel) and come back to his seat.

To avoid any conflict, whether you're traveling solo or with someone, why not ask someone nearby to keep an eye on your things and let him/her know that you'll be returning shortly? And, if you're looking for a chair and see one that's got items on it but is unoccupied, why not ask someone close by how long has the chair been empty? Glad to see that Carnival is finally enforcing the "No Chair Saving" policy.

During our Christmas cruise on the Breeze, there were employees tagging items left in deck chairs. My husband and I got a kick out of watching towels, books, sunglasses, etc, be removed from chairs and given to attendant in towel kiosk after the appropriate amount of time. Well done, Carnival!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I didn't see the tags on our last cruise, but we did notice the difference. While people were still saving chairs, we were always able to locate at least one lounger where I could keep an eye on my daughter. Before the new policy went into place, my older two came back to the cabin nearly in tears because EVERY single seat on the Triumph was "taken", just crazy.

Just got off the Dream. On the Serenity adult area, about 30% of the chairs were "saved". I asked the Carnival employee standing next to the sign with the rules on it. He came around, looked at the sign, and said "We don't do that."

Even worse on the regular decks. My daughter said that 6 chairs near her were reserved for 4 hours, and nobody ever showed up.

There is a huge difference between someone getting something and coming right back and the fact that people are saving them for hours and never coming back. As far as the solo cruiser, like someone else mentioned, if there is a person next to you, ask them to save it for you for a few minutes, not hours.

We have long given up on waiting for people to return. We just look for chairs without any thing on them. I'm not going to ruin my cruise by getting into a shouting match with some inconsiderate jerk.

There is a huge difference between someone getting something and coming right back and the fact that people are saving them for hours and never coming back. As far as the solo cruiser, like someone else mentioned, if there is a person next to you, ask them to save it for you for a few minutes, not hours.

We have long given up on waiting for people to return. We just look for chairs without any thing on them. I'm not going to ruin my cruise by getting into a shouting match with some inconsiderate jerk.

More than once, especially when it comes to confronting a disgruntled passenger, I've thought it would be fun to be fluent in a second language, such as Mandarin Chinese or Russian. Then, you could pretend like you don't understand English, and just keep talking in some foreign language. Of course, you'd have to be a pretty good actor and keep a cool head.:D