?'s For past travelers to Cook Islands on TP

gulllake

Hello!

My husband and I are traveling on the TP leaving on Feb. 15 for 10 days. I would like to know if anyone has traveled there with Air France. We are but can't find any comments on the airline.

We arrive at 4:00 AM Monday morning. Yuck! Would you suggest we check into a hotel for a few hours or hang out at the airport or pier until the Ferry can take us to Moorea where we will be staying for 3 days before cruise.

Also, is it best to exchange our money at the airport or once we arrive in Moorea?

Would anyone know if you can rent a car at the pier in Moorea? Any suggestions as to what to do there?

Once we get on the TP I understand that you are to request robes and egg crate mattress, if not done before. Is this still necessary? Not to show my age but does the 'makeup' area have a magnifying glass?

I have met some other CC's who will be on same cruise and we were wondering if the life boat drill is on the first night on ship of the first night we set sail?

I enjoy to snorkel but have gotten a little concerned with comments on the drift snorkel excursions. I'm not that strong and can I hold everyone up? Not a good way to make friends!

We have not signed up for a Sunset Cruise as of yet, is this something that we can pick up on the dock? If not which one is better from what you have heard. We have signed up for Marcs tour and some of Princesses tours, but I'm wondering if we can do better and have more fun in picking them up off the pier?

I would like to thank you for taking the time to read and answer this. We are very excited about our upcoming trip and any suggestons will be greatly appreciated.

PS What a great site!!!!

Um, okay, while I can't answer all your questions, I'll give some of them a shot.

Air France, haven't travel on them, but you might check with Princess and see if they have any day rooms set up. You could at least drop your luggage and get a shower before the first ferry (I think it leaves at 6 a.m., but don't quote me)

Can't say that I saw a car rental spot on the ferry pier, but I'm sure your hotel could arrange something for you. Talk with them and see if they can have something for you there - they would also know when the ferries start running.

Moorea is a fun island to drive around. There is the Tiki Theater village, many beautiful beaches, definietly check out the fruit juice plant (their speciality is various fruit flavored rums. It's just a great island to hang out on. It isn't as busy as Papeete, but that's only a ferry ride away, plus you have some time there once you board.

You can request the robes and the egg crates, but we didn't have to. It will depend upon what sort of room you have. Our mattress was great, but we were in an OS, so we expected nothing less. Also had robes, but we never used them (it was too hot!)

You don't need to exchange money unless you want to. We exchanged a little, but ended up using USD mostly. There was only two places we needed CFP, a small art shop on Papeete and a grocery store in Fare, Huahine. Best exchange rate was at the bank in Papeete, but the hotels weren't bad either.

Okay, yes, there is a magifier on the make up mirror and lots of soft light.

Drift snorkle - you won't be the only less-than-strong snorkler and you can go at your own rate. Be up front with the guide and (s)he will do what's best for you. Remember, it's really important to them that they have happy customers - their charter with Princess relys upon this.

Mmm, mustering - it was the second night as we were leaving the harbor. The first night, there were flights getting in at ungodly hours.

Can't help with the sunset cruise, but there are lots of options both on shore and via the ship.

Hope this has helped a little. If you have any more questions, let me know.

Cheers!

Charlie

I was on the TP in August--guess I'm so blind I can't see the magnifying mirror--always bring my own--can't see to take care of the contacts--let alone--just trying to look decent

We just booked tonight for our 2nd TP trip--we were on it last August--rather a rocking/rolling trip--but,--not so bad to stay away.

Nancy:D

Hi, we were on TP in July 2004. We exchanged money at the airport, but the ship actually exchanged it for us at a 1-1 rate. The rate was close at the time, but the ship was still a deal! There really wasn't much of a need to exchange money, most everyone takes US dollars.

The weather was bad the day we did the drift snorkel, and the drift was really fast! My husband doesn't swim, (he brings his own ski belt for snorkeling) but it wasn't scary, just disappointing because everything was a blur.

The muster was the day you sail, right after sail away.

We reserved car rentals on the internet for Tahiti (walked a few blocks to pick it up) and Moorea (they picked us up at the pier.) Be sure to check the tires, we got one flat driving out of the lot in Moorea and another our last day in Tahiti.

We took Stephane's tour to Tahaa (shark tour) and again with him in Bora Bora, he's at the dock in Raitea and Bora Bora.

We did Marks 4x4 with Picnic.

The TP is great and you'll have a wonderful time in FP.

We're going again in August 2007.

llarsen

Hello!

My husband and I are traveling on the TP leaving on Feb. 15 for 10 days. I would like to know if anyone has traveled there with Air France. We are but can't find any comments on the airline.

We arrive at 4:00 AM Monday morning.

Did you book this flight or is it Princess Air?

We are taking them to Papette from LAX in May.

We have traveled Air France before and have been happy with them--Paris to and from LAX I think--then connecting flights to Barcelona and froom Rome

Last year we to Air Tahiti Nui to Tahiti through Princess because they had it all tied up. This year we've chose Air France because it is cheaper for the days we are traaveling.

we get in 3:50 am also--then we are taking a plane to Bora Bora about 7 am--staying 4 days then onto the ship

Have a great cruise

Nancy:D

I would like to know if anyone has traveled there with Air France. We are but can't find any comments on the airline.

I have flown Air France several times to Tahiti. I've always had a good flight. The only negative for me is the early hour they arrive in Tahiti.

We arrive at 4:00 AM Monday morning. Yuck! Would you suggest we check into a hotel for a few hours or hang out at the airport or pier until the Ferry can take us to Moorea where we will be staying for 3 days before cruise.

I wouldn't go to a hotel for the few hours you'd need to wait. It'll take a little while for you to get through immigration, get your luggage and walk through customs. There are ferries leaving Papeete for Moorea at 6:05, 7:30, & 9 AM. You could take a taxi to the ferry dock and just head for Moorea.

Would anyone know if you can rent a car at the pier in Moorea? Any suggestions as to what to do there?

There is car rental at the ferry dock in Moorea. You might want to reserve your car in advance. I usually use Avis. There is lots to do and see on Moorea. I would grab something from one of the markets for breakfast and then head to the hotel. You'll have a couple of days to explore. You might consider getting a travel guide for Tahiti, which would have some sightseeing suggestions.

Chris

Archived