Any CHEAP wi-fi hot spots in Nassau, St Thomas, St Martin?

DaveNetMan

Going on the Carnival Dream in April. Does anyone know of any inexpensive wi-fi hotspots in Nassau, St Thomas or St Martin? Would like to check in online at least once during our trip. I know a place in Cozumel MX that was only $2 an hour, and am hoping to find something similar in any of the 3 ports I listed.

Thanks,

Dave

Where is WiFi free in San Juan? I tried getting a signal from our balcony when docked in San Juan in November but couldn't.

I just posted the answer to this question above....Burger King has free wifi. I was there last week, bought a soda, sat down and logged in for about an hour. It is a quick walk from the pier. Ask anyone where the BK is and they will point you in the direction.

:o Yes I saw your answer but had no clue what "BK" meant.

Sorry. So many abbreviations people use these days, we have to become mind readers to get the message. :D

Thanks for clarifying.

We know where Burger King is..... we've been to San Juan a great many times but have not tried or looked for free WiFi other than on our veranda when docked.

Be careful about using your iphone or any smartphone for that matter for wifi or calls thinking you won't be charged.

First, the charge for the calls depend on the carrier and if the calls are included in your plan. Even though Verizon has always claimed my calls in San Juan are included in my plan, they always charge me as a roaming call and when I get home, I have to argue with them about the charges.

If I use wifi and data through Verizon in San Juan, I am always charged as well.

As for St Thomas, Verizon does not include it in their plan and I was charged a per minute rate of about 1.99 or 2.49 (forgot which) when I was there last year.

If I use wifi or data through Verizon in St Thomas, I was always charged additionally as well.

However, I think if you are able to find free wifi in either country/city, there is a way possibly to connect with your phone to use the net and data (so as not to use Verizon's network. I would call your carrier and ask and then ask that they confirm in writing both the charges as well as how to connect to wifi not through the carrier. Verizon has form emails as to charges for all the countries.

Be careful about using your iphone or any smartphone for that matter for wifi or calls thinking you won't be charged.

First, the charge for the calls depend on the carrier and if the calls are included in your plan. Even though Verizon has always claimed my calls in San Juan are included in my plan, they always charge me as a roaming call and when I get home, I have to argue with them about the charges.

If I use wifi and data through Verizon in San Juan, I am always charged as well.

As for St Thomas, Verizon does not include it in their plan and I was charged a per minute rate of about 1.99 or 2.49 (forgot which) when I was there last year.

If I use wifi or data through Verizon in St Thomas, I was always charged additionally as well.

However, I think if you are able to find free wifi in either country/city, there is a way possibly to connect with your phone to use the net and data (so as not to use Verizon's network. I would call your carrier and ask and then ask that they confirm in writing both the charges as well as how to connect to wifi not through the carrier. Verizon has form emails as to charges for all the countries.

I have a Verizon phone, and voice in San Juan is free (indicator shows as 'Extended Network'. In St. Thomas, the ominous little triangle is present, indicating that you are indeed roaming.

As for using wifi....Verizon has nothing to do with that service, so they shouldn't be charging for it. If you are charged, you must have been using their data service instead of wifi....

In St. Martin we caught the ferry over to the downtown/shopping area. Hang a right from the ferry dock, and go past the stores (Lacoste) and bars, and there's a few stores with free wi-fi. You'll know the area as a lot of the ships crew will be sitting on steps, rocks, or benches with their laptops, smartphones and tablets.

Archived