Newcsatle to Durham Cathedral

On weekdays and Saturdays, there are at least four trains per hour from Newcastle to Durham (& vice versa). The journey takes only 15 minutes or less, so don't get too comfortable in your seat! Return (round-trip) tickets cost as little as £5 per person. No need to buy your ticket in advance; just go to the station, buy your ticket there, & hop on the next train.

Durham Cathedral is well worth a visit.

Ah, of course... all those bridges.:)

Passengers can take the Metro from North Shields to Central Station in Newcastle. Metro (light rail) trains run every 12 minutes on weekdays, and the ride into Newcastle takes 26 minutes.

(There are several Metro stops in North Shields; not sure which is closest to the wharf. One could take a taxi... but good luck understanding the Geordies!)

As a local to County Durham you might find that you want to go to Durham first to make sure you see all you want to.Get to Newcastle central station and get the train to Durham-it's a lovely view as you approach the station.

Durham has the castle and Cathedral and if the tower is open it's worth paying the fee to climb to the roof for a view over Durham and the river Wear.That will give you your history fix

Newcastle I would suggest you concentrate on the regenerated riverside area with all the bridges.go to the viewing area at the top of the Baltic art centre for the best views along the river Tyne

there is a HOHO bus route that stops outside the station which can give you an overall impression of the city,however it is compact enough to explore on foot

Yes we North Easterners have a fairly unique accent-my colleagues from the south still ask me to speak slowly so they can understand me!

go to the viewing area at the top of the Baltic art centre for the best views along the river Tyne

The very best Tyne view is had from the BALTIC ladies' toilets. My (female) companion brought me in for a hurried look. It was a quiet time, obviously. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Fabandfortysomething, as you are a local Of County Durham I have a question for you with regard to the public transit on June 4 (the day we are in port). We are planning to use the transit to get us to Newcastle from the port and then onto Durham.Will our use of public transit be compromised by the holiday sched.?

Thanks

Hello Fabandfortysomething, as you are a local Of County Durham I have a question for you with regard to the public transit on June 4 (the day we are in port). We are planning to use the transit to get us to Newcastle from the port and then onto Durham.Will our use of public transit be compromised by the holiday sched.?

Thanks

ah yes

usually the bank holiday falls late May but has been moved into June to match up with the Queens jubilee.

There will probably be a reduced /Sunday service

I suggest you contact the Newcastle tourist info service at www.newcastlegateshead.com

or email tourist.info@newcastle.gov.uk

they should be able to help with a definitive answer

If you decide to visit the Cathedral in Durham there is a very good bus service from the railway station up to the Cathedral...quite a steep walk otherwise.

Go and visit the Quadrangle inside the Cathedral grounds to see where shots of Harry potter were filmed, good restaurant too in the Undercroft.

timetables for the public transport involved[look at sunday service for bank holidays]

www.eastcoast.co.uk for the trains between Newcastle and Durham

www.nexus.org.uk/metro for the light rail system that operates all over Tyneside including North Shields[where ship docks] and Newcastle central

Archived