Taxi or limo

franmadre

We will be taking a cruise roundtrip Barcelona next May and there will be three of us. Will be staying a couple of days in Barcelona before and after cruise. What is a better mode of transportation between airport - hotel - cruise dock?....taxi or private limo? We are concern with taxis overcharging. Do we have to negotiate rates before getting on? Are there fix rates posted like some other big cities? Any recommendation on good reliable limo service and rates? What are the approximate costs to be expected? Appreciate any advise.

I don't see the need of a private limo for 3 people.

Taxis are plentiful and reasonably priced. You do not "negotiate". There are meters and set amounts extra for luggage/early/late departures/luggage etc.

From the airport to most central hotels near Placa Catalunya you should expect to pay about 30euros.

Going back to the airport usually costs more(not sure why).

You can find taxis near most hotels so no need to call ahead as they will charge extra for that service as well.

We've never had any sort of problem with taxis in Barcelona. Some drivers do speak some English and a bit of Spanish in return helps. Be sure to take one using a meter, otherwise you might get a driver who might attempt to "bargain".

Sometimes, with extra luggage, we've used a limo service, and it is nice to see the driver in Baggage Claim holding a card with your name on it. You can book in advance and know beforehand what your cost will be. The major services charge about the same......

• 4 weeks later...

All the taxis in Barcelona are metered. They will add extra for each piece of luggage put in the boot (trunk).

If you intend to pay by credit card then make sure they accept them before you get in as not all taxis take them.

I always find it usefull to print out the name and full address of the Hotel to show to the driver (in a reasonable size font 14-16) - it makes a big difference especially if he is older and not so good with English/American accents.

BTW, Taxi drivers in Barcelona do not 'expect' tips, but are always very happy if you round up the fare. If the ride is 28 euros then give him 30..etc..

We were in Barcelona last year, and it was very simple to take a taxi from the airport to our hotel downtown. As noted above, many of the taxi drivers in Barcelona do not speak English, so it is a good idea to have the name and address of your hotel written down.

Even though we are cheap, this is one area we've decided to splurge a bit. We are coming in separate groups; one group is all inexperienced international travelers. After a very long day of travel and an overnight flight, it seems worth an extra 30 EUR to have them met by a friendly driver with everything prearranged.

I understand that at restaurants, too, tips are appreciated but not expected (except, perhaps, from US tourists); is that correct? Also, what is the protocol regading tipping bellmen, doormen, and the concierge at hotels in Barcelona?

We have six in our group with a lot of luggage. Does anyone know of a place to reserve a limo in Barcelona? I had not thought of this until I saw this thread. Sometimes it is cheaper to reserve a van or limo than pay two or three taxis.:D

We always use Juan at autosvillars dot com. Very good English, meet you at the airport and have very nice vans. When we return from a cruise and have an early flight he is there waiting for us and we are able to catch 10:00 flight. :)

We always use Juan at autosvillars dot com. Very good English, meet you at the airport and have very nice vans. When we return from a cruise and have an early flight he is there waiting for us and we are able to catch 10:00 flight. :)

I emailed Juan yesterday, and he promptly answered my request.

I mentioned that he was recommended on cruise critics, and he was delighted.

His costs are in line with my other quotes, but he doesn't require payment in full like the other two companies I contacted.

Will give him a try. Like you we have a 10:00A flight when we return to Barcelona, and don't won't to have stand in line waiting for a taxi.

Wondering about how much gratuity for limo service, 10%?

Thanks,

Mari:)

Archived