tallinn

mucc

Can anyone tell me the distance from the pier to the center of Tallinn?

Also can one get from the town center to the amphitheater without being on a tour?

By center, if you mean where the town hall is, it is about 20-30 minutes.

Kirk

...on foot. And we had to do it twice because when we were almost back to the ship, my partner realized he had left a bag of souvenirs lying on the floor of a cafe we had stopped at to have a snack. Right around we turned and rushed back to get it. Luckily, it was still in the spot he left it, under the table where we had been sitting.

...on foot. And we had to do it twice because when we were almost back to the ship, my partner realized he had left a bag of souvenirs lying on the floor of a cafe we had stopped at to have a snack. Right around we turned and rushed back to get it. Luckily, it was still in the spot he left it, under the table where we had been sitting.

Great you got to see old town twice!:p

Kirk

Someone was looking out for you!!:):):)

Also can one get from the town center to the amphitheater without being on a tour?

The amphitheatre where the movie 'The Singing Revolution' was made (and where the annual gathering of the people singing their songs takes place) is in Pirita, about six miles north-east of Tallinn.

I don't know how to go there via public transportation, but there is at least one person on this forum who lives there and might be able to help.

Keep in mind to do the Old Town and the amphitheater both would take quite a while. I assume from your question about the distance to Old Town that you have not been there. I would highly recommend doing that first and foremost.

The amphitheatre where the movie 'The Singing Revolution' was made (and where the annual gathering of the people singing their songs takes place) is in Pirita, about six miles north-east of Tallinn.

I don't know how to go there via public transportation, but there is at least one person on this forum who lives there and might be able to help.

Keep in mind to do the Old Town and the amphitheater both would take quite a while. I assume from your question about the distance to Old Town that you have not been there. I would highly recommend doing that first and foremost.

Thank you so much for your Baltic cruise report and especially for the walking tour of Tallin. You have helped me so much with my shore excursions! Better than a guidebook!

it will take you as long to walk to Tallin from the edge of the pier as it takes to walk from the ship to the pier gates-it is very large!

you get off the ship walk several hundred yards till you reach a long craft market. Once you get through that it's another few hundred yards till you reach the HOHO buses.Another few hundred yards and you're at the pier gates-halfway to town!

if you're fit no problem but my husband was awaiting a hip replacement and boy did that seem a long walk!

Lyn

it will take you as long to walk to Tallin from the edge of the pier as it takes to walk from the ship to the pier gates-it is very large!

And its a bit deceptive as the terrain is open after the harbour exit and the first town walls seems so close . In fact the walk from the quay all the way to the town hall is 2 km (1 1/4 miles) if you take the main road left of old town and then turn right along Viru.

We followed Lair Bears walking tour of Tallin. It was excellent and we saw so much. We walked from the ship to the gates and then followed the tour.

We had a very enjoyable day and can thoroughly recommend the walk and Tallin.

Susan

Thank you for those nice comments.

If you should ever go to the Bahamas you might also be interested in doing the Nassau Walking Tour http://www.*****.com/nassau

What a fantastic job you have done with Tallinn...and I also peeked at Nassau. Thank you so much for taking the time to put this together and to share it with us all. :)

If you go the Lair Bears website (listed in his reply), he has a very nice walking tour of Tallinn.

Kirk

I printed it all out and this was my attempt at filming it

I think I got most of it. Thanks again to Lair for making Tallinn so easy for the rest of us.

Lair Bear,

We will be in Tallinn on a cruise in August. I have printed out your walking tour and plan to follow it. How, and how far in advance did you make lunch reservations at Olde Hansa? Also I have read about a "sweater wall" where local women sell the items they make and I was wondering if your tour takes us past this. It is on Muurivahe St. Thanks for your help!

Jane

Lair Bear,

We will be in Tallinn on a cruise in August. I have printed out your walking tour and plan to follow it. How, and how far in advance did you make lunch reservations at Olde Hansa? Also I have read about a "sweater wall" where local women sell the items they make and I was wondering if your tour takes us past this. It is on Muurivahe St. Thanks for your help!

Jane

When we were there mid July (I believe) we did not make a reservation and were seated (six of us) fairly soon on the deck in front. The weather was spectacular that day, so very few sat inside. I really don't think it is necessary to make the reservation. When I put the walking tour together I thought it might be a good idea, but then again not necessarily. Perhaps others had a different experience.

The city wall along the east side, near the Viru Gate is where you find the stalls with lots of knit goods. There are sweaters, hats, shawls, etc. It is just a little north of number 13 on the map. I should have marked it, but you cannot miss the spot.

I printed it all out and this was my attempt at filming it

I think I got most of it. Thanks again to Lair for making Tallinn so easy for the rest of us.

Excellent!!!! You did a great job putting this video together.

You know how to make things interesting with slow panning and not going back and forth like you see so often. The titles, colors and details are just right and really add a lot.

I like to add this link to the Walking Tour if that is OK with you.

PS What does a Cornish Pastyman do?

It was a short walk for us (40's and 50's) but it can be a slight problem for those that are not walkers or disabled. :)

Excellent!!!! You did a great job putting this video together.

You know how to make things interesting with slow panning and not going back and forth like you see so often. The titles, colors and details are just right and really add a lot.

I like to add this link to the Walking Tour if that is OK with you.

PS What does a Cornish Pastyman do?

Hi Lair Bear

Thanks for your kind words. Your blogs are fantastic (as is the whole website) and I would be very pleased for you to add that link to your walking tour, which made my day in Tallinn so easy.

What does a Cornish Pastyman do ? I eat a lot of Cornish Pasties, as my waistline will attest. And this one is lucky enough to be able to take a lot of holidays (although not as many as you) !

Thanks again, Tony

We followed Lair Bears walking tour of Tallin. It was excellent and we saw so much. We walked from the ship to the gates and then followed the tour.

We had a very enjoyable day and can thoroughly recommend the walk and Tallin.

Susan

I have pdf'd all of LairBears "walks" for the Baltic. I'm thinking that that "Rick" guy should be careful!! LOL

Marilyn