Just cancellation coverage, nothing else

KirkNC

Is it possible to just buy coverage for trip cancellation without all the other stuff (medical, evac....etc)? I have been to several sites and they all have combined or comprehensive coverage but I just want trip cost covergae. I am either stupid or it doesn't exists.

I haven't seen one you can buy, but check out your credit card. Many offer it as a benefit. Some conditions still apply, like pre-existing conditions, and you have to charge all expenses for the trip to that card. That might work for you if the limits are high enough.

From everything I have learned over the years, the only policies that cover cancellation are comprehensive policies.

As for the credit card policies, they have low coverage limits for cancellation, usually $1500. If that meets your needs, fine, as it is a no-cost policy. But if you need cancellation for higher amounts, I think that comprehensive is the only option.

Just got a new benefits E-mail yesterday They have a much longer .pdf but I don't know how to post it. Not exactly free. The card is $95/yr, but it has other benefits.

Travel Protection*

TRIP CANCELLATION/TRIP INTERRUPTION INSURANCE

If your trip is canceled or cut short by sickness, severe weather and other covered situations, you can be reimbursed up to $10,000 per trip for your pre-paid, non-refundable travel expenses, including passenger fares, tours, and hotels.

Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver

Decline the rental company’s collision insurance and charge the entire rental cost to your card. Coverage is primary and provides reimbursement up to the actual cash value of the vehicle for theft and collision damage for most rental cars in the U.S. and abroad.

Travel Accident Insurance

When you pay for your air, bus, train or cruise transportation with your card, you are eligible to receive accidental death or dismemberment coverage of up to $500,000.

Travel and Emergency Assistance Services

If you run into a problem away from home, call the Benefit Administrator for legal and medical referrals or other travel and emergency assistance. (You will be responsible for the cost of any goods or services obtained.)

Lost Luggage Reimbursement

If you or your immediate family members' checked or carry-on bags are damaged or lost by the carrier, you're covered up to $3,000 per passenger.

Trip Delay Reimbursement

If your common carrier travel is delayed more than 12 hours or requires an overnight stay, you and your family are covered for unreimbursed expenses, such as meals and lodging, up to $500 per ticket.

Baggage Delay Insurance

Reimburses you for essential purchases like toiletries and clothing for baggage delays over 6 hours by passenger carrier up to $100 a day for 5 days.

Thanks for the responses. It does appear that the only way to get it is via a comprehensive policy. I have looked at the Chase card but since this would be for a world cruise even the $10,000 is not enough.

Good info on the Sapphire Preferred. The benefits guide I last saw was a few years old and li it was $5000; seems they have doubled it.

Yes, it looks pretty good with the new limits, but they still don't cover pre-existing conditions. :(

• 1 month later...
Is it possible to just buy coverage for trip cancellation without all the other stuff (medical, evac....etc)? I have been to several sites and they all have combined or comprehensive coverage but I just want trip cost covergae. I am either stupid or it doesn't exists.

If you have a United Airlines Explorer Visa and use it to pay for your cruise/airline tix/etc., you have cancellation insurance up to $10,000 for covered reasons.

That said, not having primary health or Medicare supplement insurance that has international coverage, including evac, or not buying a comprehensive policy is a REALLY bad idea.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Interesting to see Kirk posting this question since we know this guy/gal is a long-time frequent cruiser. I am thinking (out loud) that the cruise line's own policy might be about the best deal for this situation (their medical sucks but cancellation provisions are pretty reasonable). We have often preached the benefits of just self-insuring cancellation costs, but in Kirk's situation even we would be looking for some kind of cancellation coverage.

Hank

P.S. Bon Voyage and we hope you post a full review upon your return

• 1 month later...
Interesting to see Kirk posting this question since we know this guy/gal is a long-time frequent cruiser. I am thinking (out loud) that the cruise line's own policy might be about the best deal for this situation (their medical sucks but cancellation provisions are pretty reasonable). We have often preached the benefits of just self-insuring cancellation costs, but in Kirk's situation even we would be looking for some kind of cancellation coverage.

Hank

P.S. Bon Voyage and we hope you post a full review upon your return

Do you want insurance to be reimbursed if you have to cancel your cruise/trip? If so. Royal Bank and other do supply it in Canada. However, it is quite expensive. I do know that RBC are now in the US but now sure in what capacity. We get annual insurance for trip insurance i.e. illness, accident, etc. for up to 30 day only $280+ Canadian for as many trips as you want but not over 30 days, you can add days if necessary.

On a personal level our son had a very serious injury while in Mexico and RBC was great, covered all expenses which we believe were in excess of $100,000.00 and even paid to MedVac our son to Alberta.

I repeat over and over to people the policy sold by HAL is a trip cancellation policy as the best they offer only pays $10,000 in medical coverage. It concerns me people may not realize they are getting cancel for any reason coverage and are delighted with that until they have an accident or become ill while on the ship.

That, however, sounds like the sort of policy your are seeking, Kirk. If HAL offers it, do other cruise lines?

I always purchased just medical/cancellation (once we went on Medicare) as we self-insured the price of the trip. We were willing to take the hit if we had to cancel the trip and had a penalty but were not willing to risk possibility of huge medical bills.

It is the cancellation/trip interruption that makes for high premiums. The medical/evacuation coverage is considerably lower premium.... at least that was my experience.

I now purchase both cancellation and medical since the passing of my DH. Seeing my travels may be with friends, I want to know if they cancel for a covered reason, I will be covered.

Edited by sail7seas