Bring Wine Aboard?

meshol

how would they know if it was in your luggage?

The rule is there as a curtesy to other cruisers, the Porters will take your luggage its stacked in big piles, and re stacked and taken on board, lifted and dropped.

Bottles may well break and damage your clothes and the luggage and clothes of many other people.

If it's in checked luggage, DCL has also been known to take it.

Also known 'not' to take it, ie May/May not, they do not have a confiscation policy. but RCCL will always take if found and will be looking for it, and a visit to the naughty room is arranged.

PS The previous posts were in slight *jest*. :D

It been reported here that they call you down to the luggage and confirm the bag and then advise you that they will return it at the end of the cruise!.

AKK

I know that will be the case on RCCL, I know many people who have tried it on DCL and it got through. But I would point out again people shouldn't do it as it can damage their and other cases.

how would they know if it was in your luggage?

They xray the luggage before they bring it onboard.

Some folks who are flying put their wine in bubble wrap in the checked luggage, take the wine out when they get to FL, put the wine in the carryon and check the heavy bags with the porter at the port. Seems like a lot of work, but you shouldn't put wine in the bags that get thrown around and stacked high at the port.

I know that will be the case on RCCL, I know many people who have tried it on DCL and it got through. But I would point out again people shouldn't do it as it can damage their and other cases.

I totally agree....when you can carry it onboard, why take the chance to ruin other peoples property?

AKK

The fur was flying a few days ago when DCL announced they would limit alcohol carried on to 1 bottle of wine OR 6 bottles of beer per person - effective Sept. 19, 2011! That lasted less than a day before DCL rescinded the change, but don't be surprised if DCL implements that change in the future with more advance notice.

The fur was flying a few days ago when DCL announced they would limit alcohol carried on to 1 bottle of wine OR 6 bottles of beer per person - effective Sept. 19, 2011! That lasted less than a day before DCL rescinded the change, but don't be surprised if DCL implements that change in the future with more advance notice.

We've been warned.

Now it's time to shame the abusers, those that carry wine into dining rooms and spirits into public places.

The servers aren't going to say anything, we need to before they bring the limits back.

We've been warned.

Now it's time to shame the abusers, those that carry wine into dining rooms and spirits into public places.

The servers aren't going to say anything, we need to before they bring the limits back.

Mick we have had some loud disagreements.........but in this case I totally support you!:D

AKK

We've been warned.

Forgive this newbie for the question - I certainly don't want to be part of the problem so appreciate the clarification and boundaries! But what is the issue with having an 'adult' beverage in our personal container, say, poolside? Frankly, how would anyone know if we were drinking coke or rum and coke? I can fully understand plunking down a bottle of pinot on the table as if to say to the waiter 'ha ha, you're not getting tipped for this!' I would never BYOB to a restaurant that served wine, but we bring beverages to outdoor events where they sell crappy cheap beer and wine and that's not an issue.

And if the poolside scenario is frowned upon, where are you suppose to enjoy the drinks you bring onboard... verandah only?

Thanks for your help.

Forgive this newbie for the question - I certainly don't want to be part of the problem so appreciate the clarification and boundaries! But what is the issue with having an 'adult' beverage in our personal container, say, poolside? Frankly, how would anyone know if we were drinking coke or rum and coke? I can fully understand plunking down a bottle of pinot on the table as if to say to the waiter 'ha ha, you're not getting tipped for this!' I would never BYOB to a restaurant that served wine, but we bring beverages to outdoor events where they sell crappy cheap beer and wine and that's not an issue.

And if the poolside scenario is frowned upon, where are you suppose to enjoy the drinks you bring onboard... verandah only?

Thanks for your help.

Why wouldn't you BYOB at a restaurant? ti's a common practice that restaurants fully support! They charge corkage for it, and MOST people have the courtesy to tip their server as if they ordered a bottle from the wine list. We BYOB--although we'd never bring a bottle to a restaurant that they had on their list--that would be beyond tacky.

Why wouldn't you BYOB at a restaurant? ti's a common practice that restaurants fully support! They charge corkage for it, and MOST people have the courtesy to tip their server as if they ordered a bottle from the wine list. We BYOB--although we'd never bring a bottle to a restaurant that they had on their list--that would be beyond tacky.

Haha, we're from PA - 'til the law... can only BYOB in restaurants that don't have a liquor license. Even then, it's 'courtesy' to only do so in restaurants that advertise that they have a BYOB policy.

Thanks for your help.

I should have been more specific. If you want to bring a bottle of wine to dinner, fine. Pay the corkage fee. Others have recommended that you fill a glass in your room and carry it to the dining room, even leaving and going back for a refill.

As for the liquor, there have been times when groups have brought their own on board and actually set up group bars of sorts in lounges using their own liquor and the ship's free soda. It's very in-your-face to the servers who depend on the tips for their wages.

They do have good beer on board BTW. The beer ranges from the domestic pilsners Bud, Coors to Guiness, canned but still worth the pour.

Haha, we're from PA - 'til the law... can only BYOB in restaurants that don't have a liquor license. Even then, it's 'courtesy' to only do so in restaurants that advertise that they have a BYOB policy.

We eat regularly in New Hope and Philly restaurants, and I can't think of one that doesn't have a liquor license that doesn't encourage BYOB outside of sandwich places and taco joints. And who brings a bottle of wine to a taco joint?

I really don't think a bottle of wine at dinner is not the point........being able to bring your own onboard was/is(for the near term) a nice perk from DCL.......but some, not all, went way overboard....we all have seen posts about *Gee.can't I bring a whole cooler full?*, *can't I hide it in my luggage?*....setting up personal bars in lounges as noted here and I have seen one guy with a double 6 pack, by the pool..........in my opinion, these are over the top and abuse of the perk and the reason in time (and yes I beleive the policy will be changed) the rest of us will not be able to bring our own 1 or 2 or 3 whatever bottles of wine, beer, etc.

In the end it ever was a very big savings....but it was/ is a nice perk!

AKK

Archived