Tipping with Thomsons

This will be our very 1st cruise and understand that tipping is included with Thomsons. If we still want to tip for the service we received can we do so? Also when, do we do only a daily basis or at end of cruise? We have also booked a blessing as it is our 25th anv. Any tips and hints would be greatly received. Many thanks Jane.

This will be our very 1st cruise and understand that tipping is included with Thomsons. If we still want to tip for the service we received can we do so? Also when, do we do only a daily basis or at end of cruise? We have also booked a blessing as it is our 25th anv. Any tips and hints would be greatly received. Many thanks Jane.

Yes, tips are included in the price of your cruise and tipping aboard is not expected or required.

However if you wish to tip some extra to your cabin steward or waiters etc you can do so. I reckon most people who tip extra will do so on the last full day of the cruise.

One of the good features of Thomson is the no tipping required policy so you can give nothing extra with a clear conscience if you wish.

However, the person you are most lilely to interact with is your cabin steward/stewardess and on both our previous cruises we found them to be very helpful and friendly. If you are in a 3 star hotel it is normal to leave a bit for the housemaid so we used that as a basis and left £15 in an envelope on the bed at the end of a 1 week cruise. It is of course entirely optional.

The whole tipping business is an embarrassment for the cruise industry which is why many lines now deduct a standard amount per person per day unless you specify otherwise. The problem is that it is really a clash of cultures as for Americans, who make up a big proportion of customers, tipping is a way of life and an integral part of their economy. The people who serve you in the US rely on tips as a major part of their income and by not doing so you are essentially lowering their wages rather than getting back at their employers.

I like the Thomson approach and will accept the 'standard' charge on other lines on the basis that it is really just part of the fare which you can budget for in advance.

Interestingly, on our last trip, Transatlantic on QM2 where a standard amount per day is deducted for 'tips', the Americans on our table were not intending to tip the waiters on the basis that they felt this was enough. We did leave a small amount for the cabin stewardess though.

As we will be sailing on the inaugural cruise of Majesty and a proportion of the crew will have been transferred from the Destiny the day before, I reckon they are going to have to work pretty hard to keep up the standards people will be expecting. I rather doubt that Thomson will be paying them any bonuses!

Can I just add a point for anyone going ashore in a Spanish port.

Tips are not expected - or paid by locals - in Spain. Taxi fares may be rounded up to the next Euro, nothing should be left for a single drink or Coffee in a bar and an absolute maximum of 5% should be given in a restaurant (locals again will just round up to the next Euro).

Hope this helps.

Hi Jane,what ship are you going on,we had a blessing last year on Spirit for our 20th anv, it was brilliant.

Regards to tipping,we tip our cabin stewards,and as we keep the same table waiters and wine waiter we tip them as well, as they all give us excellent service throught,nothing is any trouble for them.

Exactly what we do too.

The beauty of Thomsons is "a tip" is exactly that, given when you feel it is deserved, not obligitory, and certainly not as an excuse for the cruise lines to pay less wages!

I must add that every cruise we have been on with Thomsons we have willingly left tips for the excellent sevice we always receive.

We tip our cabin steward on day of departure or night before.We also tip the bar staff/bar waiter/ess regularly(tend to have the same one or two who you get know).

The beauty of Thomsons is "a tip" is exactly that, given when you feel it is deserved, not obligitory, and certainly not as an excuse for the cruise lines to pay less wages!

I must add that every cruise we have been on with Thomsons we have willingly left tips for the excellent sevice we always receive.

And the important word you used happy v is 'willingly' which is exactly what it should be - something you have chosen to give because you want to show your appreciation to specific crew who have given you exemplary service and in a cheerful manner which all adds to your cruise experience.

For those people who choose not to - that's fine too. No-one should feel under pressure to tip on Thomson - personal choice.

I really object to cruise lines who have mandatory tipping or even those which apply it then you have the embarassment of asking for it to be removed. Cruise lines which hide behind this policy are being duplicitous imo. They should be honest, add the tips to the price of your cruise and pay their crew proper wages. How awful to take their customers on an expensive holiday then pile on the guilt by saying the crew only get decent wages if you tip them! It's moral blackmail. Thomson's system is by far the best imo. You know where you stand and aren't embarking on a guilt trip!

And the important word you used happy v is 'willingly' which is exactly what it should be - something you have chosen to give because you want to show your appreciation to specific crew who have given you exemplary service and in a cheerful manner which all adds to your cruise experience.

For those people who choose not to - that's fine too. No-one should feel under pressure to tip on Thomson - personal choice.

I really object to cruise lines who have mandatory tipping or even those which apply it then you have the embarassment of asking for it to be removed. Cruise lines which hide behind this policy are being duplicitous imo. They should be honest, add the tips to the price of your cruise and pay their crew proper wages. How awful to take their customers on an expensive holiday then pile on the guilt by saying the crew only get decent wages if you tip them! It's moral blackmail. Thomson's system is by far the best imo. You know where you stand and aren't embarking on a guilt trip!

That sums it up in a nutshell

I agree the cabin staff are so worth their tips , and we also tip waiters throughout the week because you usually find you get the same ones. Also if you go the same table for dinner would tip there as well . Just think if you would do it at home then why not here ..

Mrs.C :)

I agree- they even ask for full tips from any children in your cabin as well! on our last princess cruise we were shelling out $36 daily on gratitutes! As kruseeka says you can go to the pursers desk to have the auto tip removed, however if you choose to remove it and you tip the select few, they arent allowed to keep it, so the purser must tell the staff who has removed the auto tip!:eek:

So I'm confused now with Thomson are tips included in the cruise price? or just not expected?

so why still tip?

If we dont tip will they think we are mean?

No, tipping is not expected but a lot of people choose to do so which complicates things further I suppose. But if you do choose to give something extra on Thomson it only needs to be a pretty nominal amount. On other lines the 'auto tips' can amount to a considerable sum which you definitely need to budget for. As an example, on Cunard it can be between $11-$13 dollars per person per day.

So I'm confused now with Thomson are tips included in the cruise price? or just not expected?

so why still tip?

If we dont tip will they think we are mean?

Dont be :) Tips Are included and they are not expected.

Why still tip ? = Personal choice. Example a waiter in the show lounge used to keep his eye on our drinks and if they needed to be replenished ,he was there ,two new drinks on our table as he knew what we wanted.

That to us each and every night was good service beyond what we expected and as a way of thanks we gave a few pounds to him .

I dont think he would have thought us mean if we had not done so .

Hope that helps ;)

We left a small tip in the cabin last year because we felt the stewards went above and beyond. Although we tried making our own beds every day, they still appeared to be remade.

As we only ever ate in the Lido we never had a waiter if we had then maybe we would have given him one at out last meal.

But one Thomson's big selling points for us was the included tips as it avoids any embarrassment and makes budgeting easier.

Dont be :) Tips Are included and they are not expected.

Why still tip ? = Personal choice. Example a waiter in the show lounge used to keep his eye on our drinks and if they needed to be replenished ,he was there ,two new drinks on our table as he knew what we wanted.

That to us each and every night was good service beyond what we expected and as a way of thanks we gave a few pounds to him .

I dont think he would have thought us mean if we had not done so .

Hope that helps ;)

I agree - tips are included and you have no need, nor should feel obliged to tip.

If, as kalos says, you feel you have had especially good, personal sevice (usually from a crew member you have developed a relationship with over your holiday - we always go to the same table for dinner so have the same waiters who look after us very well) then a small tip is up to you. But a small tip - not the kind of tipping described above of say £10 p.p. per day on other cruise lines. And the service you get will be the same whether you tip or not!

Wow! Tipping opens a can of worms! Thanks for all your replies. So glad we have booked with Thomsons. I think I would have had a melt down dealing with tipping on some of the other companies. Gunn, we are going on the Dream and I am very excited at our blessing. The other half is not the most romantic of people so when he suggested it I was over the moon. I booked it with Thomsons over the phone and pre booked the cabin. I have got an invoice with it confirmed but gather all else is done when we get on board. One other question on tipping, do we give sterling or euros? Thanks again.

Wow! Tipping opens a can of worms! Thanks for all your replies. So glad we have booked with Thomsons. I think I would have had a melt down dealing with tipping on some of the other companies. Gunn, we are going on the Dream and I am very excited at our blessing. The other half is not the most romantic of people so when he suggested it I was over the moon. I booked it with Thomsons over the phone and pre booked the cabin. I have got an invoice with it confirmed but gather all else is done when we get on board. One other question on tipping, do we give sterling or euros? Thanks again.

I'm sure you will have a fabulous time - and congratulations on your anniversary. I'm certain it will be most memorable too because of the way they make you feel so special once on board - particularly if you have something to celebrate!

We usually give the currency of wherever we're sailing - so in the Med euros would be our choice.

You will let us know all about it when you get back won't you? :)

The normal thing is to have champers and choclate dipped strawberries in your cabin on arrival,but ours was a surprise for the d/w she did not know till the very last minute,and we had the added bonus of being great friends with all the entertainers,especially the cruise director {Ray} who pulled a lot of strings to get it done as a surprise.you should meet the social director at some stage who will make all the arrangements,which will include dinner at the captains table,cake and flowers,and the blessing should take place on the bridge and at sea,loads of pics will be taken as well,enjoy.

Archived