Newly Elite...how does free laundry work?

sunsetbeachgal

This is DH and my first cruise after attaining Elite status. Yippee!! How exactly does the free laundry work? Do I just stuff the clothes into the paper bag and fill out the form and do they know I'm Elite, or is there some other procedure I should follow? How long does it take to get the clothes back?

This is DH and my first cruise after attaining Elite status. Yippee!! How exactly does the free laundry work? Do I just stuff the clothes into the paper bag and fill out the form and do they know I'm Elite, or is there some other procedure I should follow?
Just stuff the bag and fill out the form. I never bother putting the $$ amount in, just the number of each type of item. They will catch that you're Elite but I put a bit squiggle down each side where the charges should be and write in big letters at the bottom, "Elite." I usually leave my bag on the bed before heading to dinner, mostly because I'm never sure what time I'll be up in the morning. The bag has to be out by 9am for the next day service. If I don't leave it out the night before, I stick it outside my door when I get up so it makes the 9am cut-off.

You do not get same day service with Elite to make sure you check the "Next day." Otherwise, you'll be charged the full amount for the rush service.

Perfect! Thanks! My only other concern is the mini-bar, as we do not drink hard liquor, but I understand that I can trade in the little liquor bottles for soda, bottled water or beer, one for one. We are now both Elite...is there only one "set up" per cabin?

Carole

Carole, congrats!

All that I can add to Pam's excellent synopsis is that we separate cleaning (aka dry cleaning) and laundry into two separate bags with two separate slips.

Don't worry about $ on the slip, but do make a big issue of number of items in the bag. I write it in the special instructions area, circle it and write Free Elite.

Laundry on the Emerald last year routinely stretched to 2 days (i.e. in by 9am Monday, back Wednesday evening). Hopefully you'll have better luck, but plan accordingly.

As for your minibar, yes you can get sodas and waters for the liquors and beer. As Astroflyer posted earlier, you can also get two coffee cards.

A Med cruise on a new ship as an Elite! Aren't you a happy camper..er, cruiser?

Perfect! Thanks! My only other concern is the mini-bar, as we do not drink hard liquor, but I understand that I can trade in the little liquor bottles for soda, bottled water or beer, one for one. We are now both Elite...is there only one "set up" per cabin?

Carole

The set-up for two Elites in a room is two bottles/cans of each item. Identify what you don't want and phone Room Service. They will come and trade out the bottles you don't want, leaving cans/bottles of what you do want.

hi Jeanne!

Yes, a good cruise to start off Elite with! I will definitely be checking out the pool and hot tub areas on the Royal, especially on the sea days and will report live if the internet isn't too slow, as some have reported it is. We are traveling with family members and have three inside cabins in a row near the forward staircase on Baja Deck, so balcony size and lack of center stair case won't affect us as much. I hope I love the ship...am looking forward to something different!

One side note about laundry that I have read on CC. They can be a bit hard on your cloths. Possible fading, shrinking has been reported. We have not had those issues but just be aware of what you send.

Joe

One side note about laundry that I have read on CC. They can be a bit hard on your cloths. Possible fading, shrinking has been reported. We have not had those issues but just be aware of what you send.Joe

I don't have Elite yet, but I noticed the same problem with shrinking in the self-service laundry. My clothes never fit at the end of the cruise as well as they did at the beginnning;)

I don't have Elite yet, but I noticed the same problem with shrinking in the self-service laundry. My clothes never fit at the end of the cruise as well as they did at the beginnning;)

I have heard that there may be another reason for this.

Just stuff the bag and fill out the form. I never bother putting the $$ amount in, just the number of each type of item. They will catch that you're Elite but I put a bit squiggle down each side where the charges should be and write in big letters at the bottom, "Elite." I usually leave my bag on the bed before heading to dinner, mostly because I'm never sure what time I'll be up in the morning. The bag has to be out by 9am for the next day service. If I don't leave it out the night before, I stick it outside my door when I get up so it makes the 9am cut-off.

You do not get same day service with Elite to make sure you check the "Next day." Otherwise, you'll be charged the full amount for the rush service.

As usual, excellent suggestions from Pam.

We also write "ELITE" in big block letters on the bag as well as on the tag. We also leave the bag on the bed when we go to dinner and our room steward usually takes it when the bed is turned down. You will find laundry charges on your shipboard account, but they will be followed by equivalent credits categorized as type "LL-WASH RFD".

Carole

There is only one set up per cabin. You can also trade the entire set up for 2 coffee cards if that's your preference. Call room service to arrange the trade.

One side note about laundry that I have read on CC. They can be a bit hard on your cloths. Possible fading, shrinking has been reported. We have not had those issues but just be aware of what you send.

Joe

Even more fun is finding the little self adhesive tags they put on everything, I just found another one on DH shirt....we last sailed in January 2012! And he wears this shirt all the time! :eek:

Even more fun is finding the little self adhesive tags they put on everything, I just found another one on DH shirt....we last sailed in January 2012! And he wears this shirt all the time! :eek:

I come across one every now and then too.

I found one just this morning. :)

I have never sent any laundry out but I'm curious as to how they would keep my laundry separate from other laundry. I've seen the huge washers and dryers and I can't imagine just one cabin's laundry going into the washers & dryers without other laundry from multiple cabins.

I have never sent any laundry out but I'm curious as to how they would keep my laundry separate from other laundry. I've seen the huge washers and dryers and I can't imagine just one cabin's laundry going into the washers & dryers without other laundry from multiple cabins.

Apparently they put them in bags and throw them all in together! :eek:

They use a chemical process similar to dry cleaning, not hot water as some people think. A tag is applied to each piece. Not sure but I think they put each person's laundry in a bag and it goes through the washing process that way. They are probably dried the same way. Items needing ironing are put through a big ironing machine. If they need individual pressing, that's done separately. If you want something done separately, you should note it on your slip.

Can you ask for things to be wash in cold water. Also can you ask for some things not

to be put in the dryer. Just hung on a

hanger to dry.

They're not put in water, cold or hot. It's a wet chemical process. They won't hang dry as the laundry room doesn't have that capability. Your best bet is to use the self-serve washers and hang dry in your cabin. Put towels on the floor in case they drip.

Archived