Windsurf Cabin Size

Northern Residence

Everything I have read about Windstar is very appealing, a change from traditional cruising. Everything that is, except for the cabin size and no balcony. I am somewhat claustrophic and worry that 188 square feet will feel terribly small.

We did a river cruise in Europe in a 153 sq ft cabin and were very unhappy(it didn't help it was cold and rainy so we couldn't open French balcony)

Could I have some feedback from some of you who have sailed on the Windsurf? I'm sure there are many like me who don't like small spaces.

I am also claustrophobic. I was worried about the cabin size, but we found it sufficient and comfortable. When the curtains are open the sunlight streams in which makes it feel very open. The layout is such to maximize the space and I had no problems at all. Our cruise on the Surf was a B2B in the Med and with 11 ports in 14 days and many activities on the ship we were never in the cabin long enough except to sleep and shower. Even if the weather is inclement, there is plenty of space for everyone indoors so you won't be stuck in your cabin.

My husband and I have been on several Windstar cruises as well other ships. Though the cabins on Windstar are 188 sq. ft., they are beautiful and very comfortable. Neither of us is claustrophobic so I can't address that. However, we are used to having a balcony and still prefer a Windstar cabin with portholes.

My husband and I have been on several Windstar cruises as well other ships. Though the cabins on Windstar are 188 sq. ft., they are beautiful and very comfortable. Neither of us is claustrophobic so I can't address that. However, we are used to having a balcony and still prefer a Windstar cabin with portholes.

I concur with these statements. We use our balconies on others ships to get away from the crowds. Don't need to on Windstar.

I am in the "same boat" as the poster. That is reassuring. In a related question the portholes are of course sealed and you are getting air through the ship's HVAC versus direct ocean air. Could anyone also comment on the quality of the air?

Once we get to our cabin for the first time I always turn the thermostat down to the lowest setting. If you change the thermostat setting it usually takes 1-2 hours for the temperature to actually change in the cabin. We tend to like it cooler when we sleep and this last time only used a sheet, no blanket. Also, make sure to turn your lights off when you are not in the cabin because they are halogen and tend to warm the cabin if left on.

• 1 month later...

When I booked Windsurf, I was a bit anxious about not having a veranda. My spouse was so excited about trying Windstar, I reluctantly booked. Asked people on this forum about location, etc. based on the responses, I booked deck one midship. Cabin was excellent. 2 portholes at water level was our view. Often water splashed making it look like a front loading washing machine. We laughed about it. It was so easy to get a chair on deck outside that we soon forgot that we did not have a veranda. In fact, we have since booked on other lines in an ocean view. While I still have booked veranda cabins on some cruises, I realized that having a veranda is not a necessity. I would rather be on Windstar for one week than many cruiselines for 2 weeks. It was that good. After just disembarking from a cruise(not Windstar), I am looking at options for next spring. My last cruise took me to many ports that I had not been to previously. Ship was much larger(700). I prefer less people. Thinking Windstar. I will look at their cruises. Hope I find a cruise that interests me.

Do not dwell on having a veranda. Instead think of enjoying being out on deck anywhere on the ship. No crowds, attentive service, great food, and lots of fun.

• 1 month later...

We were on the Windsurf last spring. We had a standard cabin and while it was very well appointed-good storage and lighting- it did get a bit claustrophobic. The porthole was dirty and did not provide much natural light. The only comfortable place to sit in the room and read or watch TV was on the bed. I know that people will say that they don't spend enough time in their cabin for it to matter, but it did matter to us. On the plus side, the bathroom had one of the best configurations that we have ever had in a standard cabin on a cruise. I liked Windstar but would only go again in a suite level room.

When I have an attack (seldom) I find that reading for a few minutes is the cure. The Surf, and all WS??, has a small snake light on each side of the bed, making it very easy to read without disturbing your companion. The HVAC is quiet and works well. The cabins are very dark at night, so I tend to leave the bathroom light on but shut the door, this gives sort of a "night light" effect.

The WS cabins feel just fine for a week since they are so well designed. And lots of outdoor uncrowded spots to hang out. I thought I'd be claustrophobic in them but was not. That being said we're doing a suite next year but for the two bathrooms, not room size. 3 weeks with one bathroom will not work for me.

One more piece of info. The air vent is situated so it sort of blows onto the side of the bed closest to the door. Sleeping on that side of the bed offers some air movement. What gets me is the combination of an enclosed space and no air movement.