Help needed, Florida cruising

BigKeith

Hi everyone.

Im just in the planning stages of BigKeith's Big Christmas and New Years getaway. Im sure mlst of you know i love my cruise ships so i'm hoping to get on as many ships as possible over around three weeks over the holiday period. Im prepared to drive between PC, Tampa, FL and Miami (Id best get used to those automatic cars and turning right at roundabouts :S). So far im having a bit of a headache though, i want to visit as many varied ports as possible but can repeat visits if necessary. It's looking like the cruises will be on my three favourite lines, RC, X and Carnival but slotting them together seems logistically difficult. Any advoce for an easy way of doing this to maximise as many ports visited?

Also, when driving from the more northern ports, should i give a day before boarding a ship in Southern Florida or could i easily do this on the actual day?

Thanks

Big Keith

Hi everyone.

Im just in the planning stages of BigKeith's Big Christmas and New Years getaway. Im sure mlst of you know i love my cruise ships so i'm hoping to get on as many ships as possible over around three weeks over the holiday period. Im prepared to drive between PC, Tampa, FL and Miami (Id best get used to those automatic cars and turning right at roundabouts :S). So far im having a bit of a headache though, i want to visit as many varied ports as possible but can repeat visits if necessary. It's looking like the cruises will be on my three favourite lines, RC, X and Carnival but slotting them together seems logistically difficult. Any advoce for an easy way of doing this to maximise as many ports visited?

Also, when driving from the more northern ports, should i give a day before boarding a ship in Southern Florida or could i easily do this on the actual day?

Thanks

Big Keith

Not sure which "northern ports" you mean but it's about 250 miles (350 - 400 km) from Tampa to Fort Lauderdale. At least a 4 hour drive. I just used Google Earth to estimate the distances. Distances in the US can be deceptive if you're just looking at a map. If it were me I would definitely plan on getting to the port the day before - that way if there would be any delays (flat tire, etc.) I've got a buffer and I would have a chance to relax a bit before getting on board.

You do not mention a budget or if you are cruising with children?

I would stick to sailing from FLL or MIA

Some lines will do Eastern Caribbean then a Western Caribbean so you could do a B2B less stressful than running from ship to ship

If your budget will permit have a look at Oceania's Holiday cruise

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/findcruise/caribbean/rva121220/default.aspx

More inclusive than the mainstream lines but also more $$ ;)

Then you could do another cruise or land tour for the other week you are on holiday

I have to agree -- have a day between those cruises.

Also keep in mind that holiday cruises are expensive.

And hotels fill up quickly during that time.

You need to move forward on those plans now.

I was considering following the Trotter Brothers' example and renting a motorised home to save checking into hotels

You do not mention a budget or if you are cruising with children?

I would stick to sailing from FLL or MIA

Some lines will do Eastern Caribbean then a Western Caribbean so you could do a B2B less stressful than running from ship to ship

If your budget will permit have a look at Oceania's Holiday cruise

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/findcruise/caribbean/rva121220/default.aspx

More inclusive than the mainstream lines but also more $$ ;)

Then you could do another cruise or land tour for the other week you are on holiday

This is partly my point though, being a ship fanatic i love getting on as many ships as possible, I would just prefer to have a varied range of ports

This is partly my point though, being a ship fanatic i love getting on as many ships as possible, I would just prefer to have a varied range of ports

With a bit of research you could probably find several ships sailing from Miami that would sail to different ports without repeating them

Miami you may have 3 to 6 ships sailing from there daily so lots to choose from

good luck in your quest

You are not too exact with dates, but how about this:

Carnival Glory, Dec 16 - Miami: Nassua, St Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk

Carnival Glory, Dec 23 - Miami: Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman

Adventure of the Seas, Dec 30 - San Juan: St Croix, Barbados, St Lucia, Antigua, St Maarten

13 ports, no need for a camper, return air about $500 MIA - SJU.

You are not too exact with dates, but how about this:

Carnival Glory, Dec 16 - Miami: Nassua, St Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk

Carnival Glory, Dec 23 - Miami: Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman

Adventure of the Seas, Dec 30 - San Juan: St Croix, Barbados, St Lucia, Antigua, St Maarten

13 ports, no need for a camper, return air about $500 MIA - SJU.

That's great, very helpful and i sppreciate it, the dates look about right for me. The only problem, i was hoping for perhaps four different ships

Fort Lauderdale & Miami are pretty close together (45 minute drive), should be very easy to arrive at one and depart from the other in the same day. There are probably shuttle busses from one terminal to the other.

That's great, very helpful and i sppreciate it, the dates look about right for me. The only problem, i was hoping for perhaps four different ships

It becomes a trade off between different ports and different ships. Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

Archived