New Queen Elizabeth to be Costa Luminosa Class?

cruise44

A recent press release about Costa's new ship has the same statistics and shipyard as the new Queen Elizabeth:

Fincantieri’s Marghera yard in Venice has laid the keel of Costa Cruises’ latest ship, Costa Luminosa. The 92,700 GT, 2,260-berth ship will be the first in a new class for Costa. A sister ship (moved to Cunard Line?) to Costa Luminosa will also enter service in 2010.

Is Carnival going make the new Queen Elizabeth a part of another cookie cutter modified class of ships? The name deserves better.

Yup - that's about the size of it.

There has been no time for new one off design work. The tonnage, use of same yard etc etc leaves little to the imagination. Similarly the rumour machine has not rattled to the tune of tenders being placed or designs being compared

Have a look at the HAL Eurodumb due to debut next year for a sneak preview of the ugly future of "Arival" Cruising

A recent press release about Costa's new ship has the same statistics and shipyard as the new Queen Elizabeth:

Fincantieri’s Marghera yard in Venice has laid the keel of Costa Cruises’ latest ship, Costa Luminosa. The 92,700 GT, 2,260-berth ship will be the first in a new class for Costa. A sister ship (moved to Cunard Line?) to Costa Luminosa will also enter service in 2010.

Is Carnival going make the new Queen Elizabeth a part of another cookie cutter modified class of ships? The name deserves better.

That is exactly what I read and surmised that if Cunard were to build a replacement, that was the slot available in the shipyard to be taken. Let's hope it is a slot for construction only and NOT a clone of a Carnival design.

Sounds plausible.

Let's hope that Cunard learned from their Vista 4/Arcadia experience and take the time to make the necessary changes to the basic design the first time around.

Is the Luminosa design nice looking? Or is it just "a Carnival ship with some extra tonnage so they call it a new class"?

There don't appear to be any images available of this 'new class' of ship - anywhere!!!

Ken

Oh yes there are

http://www.worldcruise-network.com/projects/costa-luminosa/images/1-costa-luminosa.jpg

Interior desing by Joe Farcus - so its another Farc up

Includes a golf driving "range" and a Grand Prix driving simulator - hold me back!

This is Costa Mediterranea and Costa has not said that Luminosa is a sister of that ship. References to Costa Serena are confusing as that ship is over 110,000 tons and Luminosa is 92,000 tons. Every other Costa ship has had a 'photo' issued of an identical sister with the new ship's name superimposed - Luminosa has not and the blurb refers to her as a 'new class'. Mysterious - especially as Queen Elizabeth is larger than QV and Cunard have not mentioned her being a sister of QV ..... :eek:

Ken

The image is from Costa's press release and describes the Luminosa as a smaller sister ship to the Serena - which is itself unpleasantly like the Eurodam.

So - undoubtedly there will be some fine differences, Cunard funnel etc, but , I think you will find in 2010 that the Serena image is essentially what is coming - in no way can something off the peg like this be a fitting successor to the Cunard legend in my book

The image is from Costa's press release and describes the Luminosa as a smaller sister ship to the Serena - which is itself unpleasantly like the Eurodam.

So - undoubtedly there will be some fine differences, Cunard funnel etc, but , I think you will find in 2010 that the Serena image is essentially what is coming - in no way can something off the peg like this be a fitting successor to the Cunard legend in my book

I think the image is from the World Cruise Network website with copious reproductions of Costa images - not a Costa press release???

Serena is not that similar to Eurodam, infact Eurodam is externally very much like QV. So I suspect that Luminosa will be an enlarged Eurodam/QV and QE will be similar. I'm sure the internal layout of QE will differ greatly from the other Vistas just as QV does.

Ken

They should have kept the QE2 for longer & spent their money on a complete overhaul of cabins & any necessary behind the scenes work - there arent' many ships still in service that look as a great as the profile of QE2!!!!

Cannot wait until I am back onboad in a few days!

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

If this is the ship, then high up there are a lot of cabins forward in the Costa design. Then the Carnival Destiny look to the decks at the front. Not my choice for a design either, but maybe someone will rework it for Cunard.

costa-Serena.jpg.8e29f7469aad927160f0a5cd4c34387c.jpg

Obviously you are all much more knowledgeable about Cunard than me, however, I was curious if this ship would have the Cunard look vs a Carnival style cruise ship. Based on your attachments and reading the comments, it appears it will not look like previous Cunard vessels. Did I understand all that correctly? It's a shame, but sort of nice not to have a "poor replica" of QE2.

Well i tried to get a picture to go. Here is try #2.

I think I have some good news. :rolleyes: The photo attached is of the post -panamax Carnival Conquest class design. The new QE is sized for Panamal Canal transit, similar to QV. The Serena pictured is a sistership to the Carnival Liberty. I've been on a sistership, a few feet smaller, the Magica. Believe it or not, it handled some serious seas quite well, but make no mistake, these ships are not ocean liners. These ships are no way related to the Vista class QV or Eurodam derivatives. Costa's current Vista ship is the Mediterrania for comparison.

Cunard, please don't give us a Vista class ship unless it is so heavily modified we can all comfortably call it her a Liner.

Obviously you are all much more knowledgeable about Cunard than me, however, I was curious if this ship would have the Cunard look vs a Carnival style cruise ship. Based on your attachments and reading the comments, it appears it will not look like previous Cunard vessels. Did I understand all that correctly? It's a shame, but sort of nice not to have a "poor replica" of QE2.

Until the time to replace Queen Mary 2 comes, there won't be another "real" liner.

There isn't the work to keep her busy as well as justifying - and repaying - the very much higher costs.

Matthew

Kindly Chap, Not that I disagree with your previous post,But why would the new Queen Elizabeth cost 40% more to build than the Queen Victoria(Mrs. Brown)? I do know that ocean liners cost 40% more to build than cruise ships. Regards Cedric1902(Jerry is my real name)

Kindly Chap, Not that I disagree with your previous post,But why would the new Queen Elizabeth cost 40% more to build than the Queen Victoria(Mrs. Brown)? I do know that ocean liners cost 40% more to build than cruise ships. Regards Cedric1902(Jerry is my real name)

Inflation, to some extent? Higher cost as early example of new type?

Higher requirements in terms of materials?

Faster powerplants?

Otherwise I'm not sure.

Jerry - let's hope I'm wrong. I'd love to be. But I really don't think I will be.

Matthew

Jerry,

There are only so many shipyards on the planet. The backlog to construct offshore drilling rigs, for instance, is several years. The cost of steel is skyrocketing and there is a real shortage of the trades, ie. welders, plumbers, electricians. Everybody is competing for the same talent and materials.

The increase in price is simply the result of supply and demand.

Paul

Archived