What to do in Rhodes for the day??

Kiwi_cruiser

My review ( Santorini and Rhodes with Photos) details several highlights of this beautiful island . Lots of pictures. Read for details.. We visited Mount Filerimos and the Monastery , the Acropolis , Old Town , and the Palace and Street of Knights. An amazing place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wander around the old town for six to eight hours. It is great.

Totally agree with Moviefan2010. We loved wandering in the old town. Went up the Street of Knights and came upon the palace. We found it pretty cool to be in a place where actual knights used to live. Some interesting artifacts in the museum within the palace (but i am a bit of a history nerd) A lot of shops set up within the old town took some time to explore too. I bought some sweet sneakers there. (Try the coffee flavored Ouzo; pretty good) And we certainly enjoyed the feeling that we were within what was once/still is a walled city. With a stop for a quick lunch we easily took up at least 7 hours of time.

We also enjoyed the museums and medieval feel of the city. However, my most vivid memory is of the painful cobblestones. They are smaller and rounder than those in most cities we have visited. Although I wore tennis shoes, the stones hurt my feet. My daughter ruined a pair of flats.

We also tried to walk to the Temple of Apollo. We only had the cruise ship map as a guide and it was inadequate. Nobody could give us the exact location of the ruins. After walking for an hour, we gave up and headed back to the ship. I should have researched the location in advance!

We have never been to Rhodes before and I was wondering what is their to do there?

What do you do when you go there?? :)

Is there any private tours you would recommend??

Any tips/advise/ideas are very welcome. :)

Hi. We just came back a last month on RCI's Aegean cruise and stopped in Rhodes. A private tour company, Nick Rhodes private tours was recommended and a few of my fellow cruise passengers used them - we had a great time and the tour guide was great (I forgot his name). http://www.rhodesprivatetours.com

The owner Nick is very pleasant and made sure we are having a good tour. I would use them again. The Lindos Acropolis is wonderful if you can climb up 300 steps and St. Paul's Bay is beautiful. I'm not with your cruise but just would like help you with your search of private tour in Rhodes. Have fun and be safe.

Issah

Rhodes is made up of an old town in the walled area and the new. You can wander around for hours. There must be over 100 shops and market stalls. There is a castle t the top with a small entrance fee. Great restaurants for food or just a drink or stop for a gyro in your hand

Well it's not like anywhere in Florida that I have visited!

I thought the same thing :eek:

Google pictures of Rhodes Old Town and I'd love to know which part of Florida that is like :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
My review ( Santorini and Rhodes with Photos) details several highlights of this beautiful island . Lots of pictures. Read for details.. We visited Mount Filerimos and the Monastery , the Acropolis , Old Town , and the Palace and Street of Knights. An amazing place.

Got a link?

We just returned from our Med cruise 2 days ago. You could EASILY spend the entire day in Rhodes… the Old Town & a small beach are right where you get off the ship. We opted to go on a private tour to take us out to beautiful Lindos and to see a little more of the island, and we included time for lunch at a wonderful seaside restaurant, Argo, with incredible views. It was spectacular! We used Rhodes Private Tours, and set it up via email communication with Nicholas… no deposit required. Both Nicholas and our driver, Andrew, met us at the port, then Nicholas caught up with us again at the restaurant to ensure all was going well. It was a wonderful day, very reasonably priced and we STILL had time to roam around Old Town when we ended our tour! :) http://www.rhodesprivatetours.com