Should Cruise Lines cease stopping in Santorini???

Joe12

Hello,

I have a quick question.

Judging by the Greek economy has been going recently and also for the safety and wellbeing of the donkeys do you think that the cruise lines should stop calling at Santorini and perhaps stop somewhere else like Crete or Turkey etc.

What are your thoughts.

Joe

No one is required to use the donkeys. So you can avoid that issue if you chose.

I wonder why you are worried about the economy in Santorini, as opposed to all of Greece? There are many threads here on the Greek situation, and you will see that Greece is heavily dependent on tourism. There is no threat to tourists, and if the cruise lines avoid Greece, what do you think that will do to their economy?

You do realize that Crete is part of Greece? And you want the donkeys to be killed because they're no longer of use, and the people of Santorini further impoverished? I really do not understand your reasoning.

Edited by Langoustine

For the life of me I cannot figure out this question…….

First of all the donkeys have been hauling things up the side of the caldera for a very long time. They are "beasts of burden" and are well taken care of.

Second the problems with the economy in Greece is all over…. not just in Santorini so why single it out ??? And since the ports (and other areas) of Greece depend HEAVILY on tourist dollars how would it help to stop going there?

And third, there are many many cruises that already go to Crete and Turkey AND Santorini all in the same cruise….. I know I have done them many times.

I don't know….. but I don't get it ????? :confused:

No,

Judging by the abuse of the donkeys and the fact that the passengers can actually be injured during the ride makes me think that it would be better that they trim Santorini from their ports.

Plus, the island was pretty nasty when I visited 2 years ago. Children begging, dirty streets, Horrible.

Maybe we are just disagreeing on things but I do not want the donkeys to be killed and while some may think of them as "work animals", there is a difference to them doing work and being abused by those idiots who whip them and don't feed them. The whipping can also injure guests.

Anyway, lets close this thread.

Thanks

Joe

Oh, pleeeeeeease. Donkeys have been used as work animals throughout the Mediterranean for hundreds of years. There is a simple solution, if you don't like it, don't go.

Santo rink isn't just a cruise stop, it is a very popular holiday destination for thousands of Europeans every summer.

Plus, the island was pretty nasty when I visited 2 years ago. Children begging, dirty streets, Horrible.

I was lucky enough to be in Santorini twice that year, I don't understand how anyone can describe it as horrible. It is a beautiful place.

No,

Can't comment on the treatment of the donkeys (mules?), but you are not describing the island we have visited twice, and will once again this autumn.

Sorry that your experience didn't match ours.

I'm glad that others have enjoyed the island but the mistreatment of the donkeys is in my opinion disgusting and I don't know why the cruise lines would continue stopping there if they knew what was going on.

Thanks for your opinions but please do NOT add anymore posts and lets close the thread.

Edited by Joe12

I'm glad that others have enjoyed the island but the mistreatment of the donkeys is in my opinion disgusting and I don't know why the cruise lines would continue stopping there if they knew what was going on.

Thanks for your opinions but please do NOT add anymore posts and lets close the thread.

ImageUploadedByForums1438346369.786702.jpg.e7aeeecc22a1e2057dc790cafd9459c1.jpg

Santorini is definitely worth visiting. If one doesn't want to use a mule it isn't necessary.

ImageUploadedByForums1438346259.099314.jpg.4115137b0a46dc0e8a70dee2351a3df5.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1438346288.846858.jpg.cb5989f5e60869f7535a5dcf5647f222.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1438346337.853072.jpg.8ed34b216b84194f20260df19332ff83.jpg

It don't work that way, Joe.

Any of us have the right to start a thread, but none of us have the right to close it just because everyone disagrees.

Including me ;)

Soon we'll find someone else to disagree with & this thread will drop to the bottom :D

JB :)

Santorini is iconic and beautiful. Anyone who does not want to go there choses a cruise that stops elsewhere. Like other businesses the cruise business is driven by the demand of its customers. Right now, there is demand to go to Santorini so the cruise lines have no reason to cut it as a destination.

Hello,

I have a quick question.

Judging by the Greek economy has been going recently and also for the safety and wellbeing of the donkeys do you think that the cruise lines should stop calling at Santorini and perhaps stop somewhere else like Crete or Turkey etc.

What are your thoughts.

Joe

I must say that I disagree with anyone wanting to deprive any one in the future of being able to visit the beautiful Island of Santorini. I have been twice on cruise stops and always wanted to go back and spend at least a week. We will be visiting again in October and plan to rent a car.

As for the donkey question—It seems that we should not deprive the donkeys or the donkey keepers from making a living. The tram has taken a lot of business away from the donkeys. My first visit was to ride a donkey and it was ok except I thought the donkey was getting too close to the wall and was going to scrape my leg. I never noticed any animals being mistreated. For centuries the donkeys have been taking the residents of Santorini up the hill and it is better than walking at my age, but I will take the tram.

Donkeys are pack animals and whether they are on gold expeditions or packing humans up Santorini makes no difference, that is what they do. Giving donkeys guidance and initiative may be misinterpreted as being cruel, but it is necessary to show the donkey his job.

We will be on a 10 day cruise from Istanbul and Santorini will be the highlight of this cruise.

http://www.tomsportguides.com/Santorini-07-22-2013.pdf

See this link for some very nice info.

http://www.tomsportguides.com/plan.html

Hello,

I have a quick question.

What are your thoughts.

Joe

The chance of getting shot by an police officer in the USA is probably higher than being bitten by a Santorinian Donkey because he was treated badly :cool: :)

You started this thread whether to make a point or just to see what reaction you would get...you got it and now you don't want anymore posts...oh dear...boo hoo:(

A bit snarky, aren't you.

I was asking for peoples opinions, I don't mind people disagreeing but you are just being rude and comments like that are the reason I want to close the thread.

If you're going to be rude, go elsewhere.

Edited by Joe12

(1) IF there are children begging in the streets of Santorini shouldn't that be of more concern than MULES that have to work for a living? (Hey, don't we all?) (2) Nobody's economy was ever helped by putting people out of work. (3) "Snarky" is a mode of expression. It's perfectly legal and sometimes quite called for. (4) You can't open a discussion and then tell everyone they have to shut up now.

(1) if there are children begging in the streets of santorini shouldn't that be of more concern than mules that have to work for a living? (hey, don't we all?) (2) nobody's economy was ever helped by putting people out of work. (3) "snarky" is a mode of expression. It's perfectly legal and sometimes quite called for. (4) you can't open a discussion and then tell everyone they have to shut up now.

:d:d:d:d

No,

Judging by the abuse of the donkeys and the fact that the passengers can actually be injured during the ride makes me think that it would be better that they trim Santorini from their ports.

Do you honestly think that the alternative to working for these mules (not donkeys) would be eating their fill of hay in a green pasture somewhere? Not likely....

Also, you must have Santorini mixed up with some other island if you think it's "nasty" and "dirty". It's definitely not that.

Hello,

I have a quick question.

What are your thoughts.

Joe

They are not donkeys, they are pack mules that have been bred to carry huge weights up steep hills.

If you don't want to ride them don't but don't use that as a lame excuse to avoid Santorini.