Try NCL?

mamamzee

As of right now -- if we can't find a Celebrity cruise we want (1st choice), we will head over to NCL as our second choice. We do the following to bring the experience up to Celebrity levels:

--make sure you have the UDP (ultimate dining package); they may offer one as a perk, usually 3 nights of a 7 night cruise. We will buy all additional days and eat every evening meal in one of their great alternative restaurants.

--avoid the buffet.

--eat breakfast/lunch in the MDR or at one of their alternative restaurants.

Do this, and the food will be better than Princess, HAL and Royal Caribbean. On par with Celebrity.

Entertainment is better than Celebrity's. We've always had the UBP, but they do charge a hefty pre-paid gratuity for each person.

Cabins are a bit smaller, but they are well designed and have a glassed in shower.:) Happy bright colors, not the brown on brown, with a touch of ugly you get on HAL and Princess.

Enjoy!

Kel:D

First of all, I am not a bargain shopper. Frankly a great experience is what I look for. Just got off the Infinity in a Sky Suite..had all four perks included, unlimited internet, OBC from Celebrity and my TA, premium beverage package, and gratuities. I did not have a bill when we left the ship. Additionally Lumanie was a splendid experience.

Additionally not that I would have gone on NCL, for the same trip with their pathetic food, in a suite, the price was double Celebrity. Many years ago NCL had a decent product, but not anymore.

Additionally Celebrity is smoke free...

We have sailed on royal, celebrity and princess multiple times and wanted to try Norwegian. I booked a mini suite on the escape and will NEVER take a cruise from them again unless they change a lot! The food in the main dining room and buffet was almost uneatable, which forced us to pay out of pocket for specialty restaurants, which tastes like main dining room food on every other line. Every time we turned a corner it felt like we had to pay extra for something, even the free drink package wasn't free, you still have to pay taxes and gratuities on it. The shows were always all sold out unless you booked the first day. The pool was a quarter of the size it should have been. There was never a deck chair after 10am anywhere. We found over all most of the crew members were less friendly than other lines. Hope this help! [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On several cruises that we have booked on other cruise lines, certain amenities were downgraded after booking -- but we were grandfathered in. I keep reading on CC that whenever NCL makes a downgrade, even folks after final payment get the shaft. That is what will keep me from even considering NCL after next month's Pride of America cruise [where thankfully most of our suite perks have been maintained since booking -- except of course that we can no longer bring bottled water onboard!!!]

This is a huge issue with NCL. We have decided we will only cruise them again if the price is really, really good because we don't know what changes will be implemented between payment and getting on board.

It's not so much that any particular change has us upset, it's that you just never know when one will come and affect you. The "uncertainty principle" has us double questioning every cruise we book with them.

And, for the most part, they don't grandfather you in unless it was a contractual item.

Hi everyone...

Here is my 3 cents -- 1 cent extra for inflation...

Where do I begin... We are avid cruisers - with over thirty cruises on various lines. We went on one NCL cruise several years ago -- and those initials are never to be spoken of in our home again.

The NCL pluses -- the room was beautiful with a three section bathroom, entertainment was excellent, but the food was the worst food we have ever had on a cruise. The service was marginal at best. My Partner ordered a shrimp cocktail at dinner and it was those little teeny - tiny baby shrimp used in shrimp salad on the plate -- we looked at each other and laughed. The paella I ordered had one shrimp, one mussel and a scallop.

We feel the Specialty restaurants should be something special -- not to be forced into because the MDR is terrible.

Don't let me even start on how the people were dressed.They looked as if they just came back from Coney Island -- and that was on formal night. First and last time for us on NCL. We will stick primarily to Celebrity and Princess.

Happy Sailing!!!:)

Edited by neilrr

I'm always surprised when I hear these horror stories of miniature shrimp and hillbillys on "formal night". It's interesting because when we switched to cruising on NCL the food was better than Princess in the MDR and much, much better in the buffet. At that time Disney had better food than NCL, but on our last Disney cruise NCL does better. We eat mainly in the MDR (I actually think the specialty restaurants are not that good for the amount of surcharge.)

There are no formal nights on NCL. None at all.

They have either a "Norwegians Night Out" or a "Dress Up or Not" night, but it isn't as strict as what I hear about X's Chic dress code. The dress code, every day of the cruise, is the same: men are asked not to wear shorts and to wear closed toe shoes in the fancier main dining room and one of the specialty restaurants (Le Bristro). It has been this way since the early 2000s.

We are happy to sail on Celebrity, NCL & Princess. As a rule we tend to select our cruise based on itinerary & value. Value to us does not mean price - rather a combination of itinerary, amenities/perks & price. At times, it appears NCL has better itineraries available than Celebrity.

As others have pointed out, we have experienced culinary challenges with NCL. Therefore, we have learned w/ NCL to factor the expense of an Ultimate Dining Plan into the value assessment. It's important to us to enjoy our dinners - hence the UDP purchase.

NCL has strong entertainment & Howl @ the Moon (dueling pianos) on the larger ships is a lot of fun!!!

We are always open to new experiences and have never left a cruise unhappy. To the OP - ultimately you get to have the fun of sorting through the conflicting feedback/recommendations to make your own decision. Happy Sailing whichever line you select :)

I'm always surprised when I hear these horror stories of miniature shrimp and hillbillys on "formal night". It's interesting because when we switched to cruising on NCL the food was better than Princess in the MDR and much, much better in the buffet. At that time Disney had better food than NCL, but on our last Disney cruise NCL does better. We eat mainly in the MDR (I actually think the specialty restaurants are not that good for the amount of surcharge.)

There are no formal nights on NCL. None at all.

They have either a "Norwegians Night Out" or a "Dress Up or Not" night, but it isn't as strict as what I hear about X's Chic dress code. The dress code, every day of the cruise, is the same: men are asked not to wear shorts and to wear closed toe shoes in the fancier main dining room and one of the specialty restaurants (Le Bristro). It has been this way since the early 2000s.

I noticed "asked". Does that mean they still get admitted? I'm fine with formal night/chic or Smart casual. I'm NOT fine with dining with a bunch of pax that looked like they went to a trailer trash jamboree! Is this how I'd expect people to dress in an upscale shore side restaurant? I'd hope not!

We are not experienced cruisers but know many of you are. We've done 3 Celebrity Aqua class, one HAL where we got lucky and got a Neptune suite, and one Disney concierge. Loved all of them; DH needs a handicapped room.

Good friends are doing a NCL in July and want us to go along on a 7 day western Caribbean. It's not all that cheap and I've always gotten the opinion that NCL was kind of cheesy and nickel/dime sort of line. That may be TOTALLY untrue. We can't afford the Haven and I don't even want to spring for the Mini Suites.

Would we be happy?

OP, would you mind saying what ship you'd be on with NCL?

In the past year I've been on the Getaway twice and the Celebrity Eclipse once, so I can give you some 'fresh' info.

I can say that I found the food much better on the GA than the Eclipse, and the entertainment on Eclipse was laughably bad. (Literally. Stepping onto an elevator from the atrium area from whence some sort of wailing emanated, we were all quiet and confused for a minute until someone tentatively said "I think that's supposed to be a Whitney Houston song?" and we all burst out laughing.)

Pax on X were more 'upscale', but that also meant the cruise vibe was pretty boring, unless you count people screaming at the bartenders about their Platinum status.

The main "win" for X in my eyes was the Solarium. You won't get that kind of solitude on NCL without paying extra for it (I recommend Thermal Suite passes).

I always dress up on the NCL dressy night. Lots of people do.

Have done princess, celebrity, Ncl and rccl. We like them in that order, but are going on Ncl jade in January, taking another couple with us. I actually thought the food in the mdr on Ncl is better than royal. The same in the buffet. We did not have a problem with service anywhere we ate. I like the low key atmosphere on Ncl and didn't find it any worse than other lines for "nickel and diming". Everyone is different and expect different things from their cruise. You are on holidays. Have a good time and don't sweat the small stuff.

I noticed "asked". Does that mean they still get admitted? I'm fine with formal night/chic or Smart casual. I'm NOT fine with dining with a bunch of pax that looked like they went to a trailer trash jamboree! Is this how I'd expect people to dress in an upscale shore side restaurant? I'd hope not!

They might get admitted. I suspect you would not be happy on NCL with your standards.

However, here in Los Angeles, it is indeed the way people dress to an upscale shore side restaurant ... you will find flip flops and tee shirts, shorts and torn jeans in very fancy restaurants. I always wondered why cruise passengers want to play "dress up" like they did when they were five years old when no one else dresses like that in real life. But I guess my location determines my outlook.

If the food is good I don't care how Larry the Cable Guy is dressed!

They might get admitted. I suspect you would not be happy on NCL with your standards.

However, here in Los Angeles, it is indeed the way people dress to an upscale shore side restaurant ... you will find flip flops and tee shirts, shorts and torn jeans in very fancy restaurants. I always wondered why cruise passengers want to play "dress up" like they did when they were five years old when no one else dresses like that in real life. But I guess my location determines my outlook.

If the food is good I don't care how Larry the Cable Guy is dressed!

Perhaps people in LA generally dress that way, but people in the SE tend to dress up a little more. Sure, we have the crude wear, especially when the weather is hot, but in nice restaurants, that type of clothing is not normal.

We are not experienced cruisers but know many of you are. We've done 3 Celebrity Aqua class, one HAL where we got lucky and got a Neptune suite, and one Disney concierge. Loved all of them; DH needs a handicapped room.

Good friends are doing a NCL in July and want us to go along on a 7 day western Caribbean. It's not all that cheap and I've always gotten the opinion that NCL was kind of cheesy and nickel/dime sort of line. That may be TOTALLY untrue. We can't afford the Haven and I don't even want to spring for the Mini Suites.

Would we be happy?

We tried NCL a few years ago, it was ok, asked for more salad dressing at dinner, and was handed a bottle of Kraft :eek: of the 7 lines we have tried, they rank 7th.

We've tried NCL, RCCL, Celebrity and MSC.

We prefer Celebrity for sure, but wouldn't go as far as saying NCL was bad.

We absolutely loved our NCL cruise.

We had a suite (non-haven) so had a seperate restaurant for breakfast. For dinner, we went to the Italian restaurant a few times (we love Italian food).

The biggest plus for us was the spa (additional cost). It was always very sereen in there and the views were to die for.

That said, we still prefer X because of the atmosphere, the food and the service.

Friends don't let friends cruise NCL.

NCL=Neveragain Cruise Line.

:D

I wish this had been posted before we booked our cruise on the Jewel. Staff were great sad they had to keep apologizing for our beverage package. "Sorry ma'am you must pay for your mocha" "Sorry sir you can't get bottled water" etc. Quietest cabin steward ever, OK he was probably shy, but two hellos during the 5 days!!! Zero direction for disembarkation, good thing we were seasoned cruisers we would still be waiting in our cabin ( OK we aren't that stupid ;) ).

The best thing we did was purchase the thermal suite pass. But everytime we were there we were subjected to humans that have no concept of respect for silence. I was disappointed in how small the area was to enjoy as a couple. I guess it was just the Jewel but we won't be discovering any other NCL ships.

It was an experiment, we enjoyed some of it, but back to X for us, I prefer the serenity.

Joanne

I totally disagree with mailmama's statement that all entertainment including in the atrium is not free. As other's have posted - only the entertainment that offers a dinner is there a charge. I am a Platnium member on NCL so have experienced a number of the ships. My only complaints were with the MDR on the Epic (could have been a server issue) as well as the pool situation with the Getaway. Our normal travel partners just returned from the Escape and had a terrific time. I took a short four day on the Sky last year for my birthday. I was a bit nervous as it is an older ship. I was extremely pleased with the level of service and food. We only book balconies so I can't comment on the Haven, although it looks heavenly. We have also cruised HAL, Princess, Celebrity, RCCL and Carnival.

I sailed the 4 day Bahamas on the Sky with the 'all inclusive' drink package. It was a fun, affordable cruise that got my DH hooked on cruising...but it was a bit of a disappointment for me. As mentioned before the Sky is their oldest ship and it is definitely showing its age. In addition, it is clear that NCL is not putting its best entertainers or chefs on this ship. Certainly not a cruise from hell, but I wouldn't describe it as a luxury experience. I do not think the Sky is representative of the rest of NCL though....but that's just a guess, not based on experience.

Would we be happy?

I have cruised NCL In everything from a studio cabins to Haven Aft suite. I loved all the experiences. My DH and I have sailed 4 times in a Haven Aft suite on the Breakaway. We've also sailed the Pride of Hawaii twice. There are very good sales on Haven Suites after final payment. Book a cabin and then upgrade after final payment. We are sailing on the NCL Jade next summer. We are done with Celebrity for a few years. Switched our 2018 cruise from Celebrity to Crystal. Celebrity was our first choice in cruising but things have changed so time to try new ships. Worst cruise experience for us was QM2...best was the old HAL Ryndam. I think the ship and itinerary are more important than the cruiseline.