Celebrity Alaska White Pass RR excursion question

montereybob

Is it true that no food is provided on the train? Are there places that the train stops where food can be purchased?

Most of the rides are only three or four hours long. So no need for food. I brought a bottled water from the ship. They do have some longer excursions combined with other activities. I think they provide food on those. The also have an option to ride in the Club Car that has food and beverage. Of course that costs more. I think there may have been a snack shop at the stop in Canada before returning.

Edited by Charles4515

No food on the train. We booked independently and were so glad we did. We had the last train car all to ourselves and had terrific views on the open deck at the back of the train. There weren't a ton of us so we had plenty of room to move around for picture-taking.

I booked through the cruise line, had the last train car and had terrific views also. I also spent my entire time on the back of the train.

There were only a few of us on the last car - so we could move around. Not crowded at all.

Not much different booking through cruise line than direct.

------

There is a more expensive excursion for the White Pass that does include food. I wouldn't bother though.

Edited by Coral

Not much different booking through cruise line than direct.

When I did it on another cruise line (HAL), they charged about the same. The difference of booking thru the ship was that they picked up cruise excursion passengers dockside.

Edited by Charles4515

If you are worried about hunger on the trip, no matter the length, there are several places in town where you can order food to go and take a picnic along. It is a great trip. A couple of days a week the old steam driven train runs the route. We were lucky to take that trip. It was a lot more fun than going on the diesel powered trip.

We booked through Chilkoot -- the walk to the train is very short, we had plenty of room on our dedicated train car, got a nice lunch after disembarking the train, then a van ride to Bennett Lake and back to the ship. The ship [this was Princess in 2013] charged $129 pp for a 3.5 hour train up and back tour; we paid $229 but got an 8 hour tour that took us into the Yukon. The train ride up was interesting; doing it again on the way down would have been repetitious, so the van ride down was a good addition.

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

When I did it on another cruise line (HAL), they charged about the same. The difference of booking thru the ship was that they picked up cruise excursion passengers dockside.

Same here. There was no savings by booking directly.

Slightly different twist. I was traveling with a group of 4. We chose to rent a car and drive. Cost us about $100.00 and we were able to drive all the way over to Carabobo Crossing and had a wonderful lunch.

The route of the road is pretty close to that of the train and we had the day to ourselves.

Slightly different twist. I was traveling with a group of 4. We chose to rent a car and drive. Cost us about $100.00 and we were able to drive all the way over to Carabobo Crossing and had a wonderful lunch.

The route of the road is pretty close to that of the train and we had the day to ourselves.

I have taken the train 2x, the bus 1x and a car 2x.

The train and the car (bus) have slightly different views and routes, both equally enjoyable in different ways. You get commentary on the train which was very valuable. In the car, you can stop when you see a bear, take pictures leisurely, travel at your own pace, etc...

If you have done the train one year, next time do the car or vice versa. Both excellent. For a family the car is definitely cheaper. Just make sure you reserve your car ASAP as they sell out.

On both of my train rides, people fell asleep on the way back. Most were elderly.

I have taken the train 2x, the bus 1x and a car 2x.

The train and the car (bus) have slightly different views and routes, both equally enjoyable in different ways. You get commentary on the train which was very valuable. In the car, you can stop when you see a bear, take pictures leisurely, travel at your own pace, etc...

I agree that that commentary on the train was very valuable. It was worth taking the train for that alone. Also I found the train ride itself enjoyable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk