Question about wait time for Anytime Dining

On the Sunshine June 19th departure, requested Early Dining, but, waitlisted. Thinking maybe the Anytime will be a blessing since we have not done that before, but, have 2 kids and want to know what the anticipated wait time is for a table for 4 (and, if a table for 4 is an option, for that matter) if we go at 6:00 or 6:30? Someone told me if you don't make it in with those lining up early, that you can have an hour and a half wait?

We've chosen anytime dining since they started offering it. We still shoot to be there right away but allows us flexibility if we're on port later. We just got off the breeze a week ago with a group of 4 and never waited at all.

Thanks for the reply, does this mean no wait even if you go at 6:00 or 6:30, or is there a time like 7:30 when people go to avoid any waiting?

On the Sunshine June 19th departure, requested Early Dining, but, waitlisted. Thinking maybe the Anytime will be a blessing since we have not done that before, but, have 2 kids and want to know what the anticipated wait time is for a table for 4 (and, if a table for 4 is an option, for that matter) if we go at 6:00 or 6:30? Someone told me if you don't make it in with those lining up early, that you can have an hour and a half wait?

Who was that 'someone'?

I have never had a wait.

an acquaintance, said folks line up at the beginning, 5:30-5:45 or so, then they seat as many as possible, but, that leaves anyone who didn't make it in the first "round" to wait for tables to open, and that takes a long time? Hoping they are just wrong. Appreciate all the helpful people on this forum!

We had a table for 4 once with anytime. One night we saw a huge line and went somewhere else instead of waiting and came back 15-30 minutes later and had no wait at all, (this was when they were first opening).....other cruises table for 2 and waited just a minute or two.

an acquaintance, said folks line up at the beginning, 5:30-5:45 or so, then they seat as many as possible, but, that leaves anyone who didn't make it in the first "round" to wait for tables to open, and that takes a long time? Hoping they are just wrong. Appreciate all the helpful people on this forum!

It can happen like that, but why would anyone want to line up and wait? Just go anytime after the place opens until they close. One time I was told it would be a few min and I turned around to look at the ship in the glass box and I didn't get more than the ship name read and I was being tapped on the shoulder to come on.

Think of it as going to a popular place at home. Exactly the same concept.

It can happen like that, but why would anyone want to line up and wait?

For a couple of reasons we need to have supper close to 6:00 or so, and am trying to determine if we should try to see the maitre d about somehow getting confirmed for early dining, or if we can make do with ATD.

Go right at 5:45-6:00 and you shouldn't have a wait. That's what we did on glory couples weeks ago. Never a line and plenty of tables. By 6:30 it was pretty full most nights.

Btw, this was our 4th cruise, all with ATD. This was the same experience each time.

Edited by kona_wahine

For a couple of reasons we need to have supper close to 6:00 or so, and am trying to determine if we should try to see the maitre d about somehow getting confirmed for early dining, or if we can make do with ATD.

If you go early you should have no problem. We've been doing it since they came out with it and even when we did not go early we have never waited more than 15 minutes.

Think of it as going to a popular place at home. Exactly the same concept.

Except a popular place at home can sometimes have an hour or more wait.

We have only done Any Time Dining on two of our five Carnival cruises. I only remember waiting about 15 minutes one time. I think that was on the Paradise back in 2012. I don't remember what time we showed up.

If you want Any Time Dining, be sure to sign up for it early. We tried to switch to it on our last cruise from late traditional, but it was booked up and they wouldn't let us switch.

Edited by dioxide45

You should have no problem getting a table between 6 and 6:30. There is usually a wait between 6:45 to 7:15.

We have always done anytime dining. Unlike others, we have waited a very long time. Elegant night can be a challenge and can be a long wait if you don't time it right. . Go early while everyone is doing the 'meet the Captain or whatever' stuff they are doing.

Waiting 60 minutes or so is the exception rather than the rule but it does happen, so have an alternate plan just in case.

Just a quick note - you can also ask for the same wait team each night with ATD if you like the one you have the first night. That might cause you a few minutes wait, but it is worth it if you know you really love the wait team!

We have always done anytime dining. Unlike others, we have waited a very long time. Elegant night can be a challenge and can be a long wait if you don't time it right. . Go early while everyone is doing the 'meet the Captain or whatever' stuff they are doing.

Waiting 60 minutes or so is the exception rather than the rule but it does happen, so have an alternate plan just in case.

Thank you for the heads up. Can you say what times were the most likely to encounter long waits?

Just a quick note - you can also ask for the same wait team each night with ATD if you like the one you have the first night. That might cause you a few minutes wait, but it is worth it if you know you really love the wait team!

Thank you, we were planning on doing just that, as that would best approximate the experience of the set dining time. Question: About how much time does it take to enjoy the meal, from seating until you are finished dining?

With Any Time Dining on the Splendor we usually go between 6:00 - 7:00.

The wait is usually 15-20 minutes. We like the wait cuz we will sit in the atrium with a drink and relax for a few minutes.

We discovered the tables are so crowded in that we started requesting a booth. Even with my dislike of booths I preferred them in the DR because you don't feel as jammed in.

The wait for a booth added 5 or 10 minutes to the wait but we didn't mind at all.

Can you do ATD if you have 7 people? Is it best to do traditional?

Traditional

Except if you get there right when it opens or after 7:30-8:00

Just like a regular restaurant, the more people the longer the wait.

I have done Your Time Dining since its inception. The most we've had is eight people and even then the longest wait was about twenty minutes.

The key is to go at times other than the standard dining times. For some reason people still want to eat at 6:30 and 8:30. If you arrive around 6 or 7:30 you will usually have less of a wait. I did 9:00 p.m. once on Carnival and will never do it again. That was the only time we had cold food and poor service.

Tables for two usually have the least amount of wait time.

If you want the same waitstaff, each night, then your chances of a wait are increased.

Take care,

Mike