Anyone Used Marva Shaw tour guide in Jamaica?

timetogosoon

Anyone used knowjamaica tours? I booked the duns river, tubing and beach tour... I've read the reviews, but anyone had this particular tour? How did you like it etc.?

Hi! We used her last year and LOVED her. We had Javia her son take us to Dunn's River, Tubing and tour around town and he was fabulous. I HIGHLY recommend them :cool: We are going back next May and plan on using her services again :D

we used Marva last month. We did the same tour that you are doing. We weren't interested in the beach so she took us back towards the port for some shopping - Harley Davidson, etc. Then she dropped us off @ Margaritaville with specific instructions on getting back to the ship. I would use her again without a doubt!!

Was the Dunns river and tubing fun? Because I am taking DH and him and I love outdoorsy stuff. I have only recently been wondering because there are so many tourists there. Was it crowded?

We really enjoyed both a lot. Once you get to the Dunns River you can pay extra for a guide - there are quite a few the group for that and they make you hold hands the whole time :rolleyes: We did it on our own (party of 4 in our group) and we had a lot of fun. It's a little creepy coming out because you have to go through their little village of aggressive sellers, but just say no thank you if you don't want anything and keep walking :eek: The tubing was fun as well, our guide sang down the river and it was a lot of fun, wish it was a longer tube ride, but it was still fun. Javia took us to a restaurant and sightseeing after that and we stopped off for some shopping and he waited in the car.

I used Marva a couple of years ago. Marva was our driver and Pat was the tour guide. We enjoyed our trip a lot. Javier met up with us at Dunn's and talked with my group(those who didn't do the falls). There is separate fee for Dunn's . Marva and Pat were excellent. I e-maile her alot prior to the trip because part of the group was going to do the tour while my mom, dad, and myself needed transportation to the hospital in Montego Bay if the ship could not port in Grand Cayman.

It's a little creepy coming out because you have to go through their little village of aggressive sellers, but just say no thank you if you don't want anything and keep walking :eek:

Actually, you don't have to walk thru the vendor's village. Just bear to the left, and walk out the gates.

Kids and I used her in 2007 to do both Dunns River Falls and a horse back ride from the mountian top, through an old Plantation, to the beach (and into the ocean). Would never of had time to do both without her. She was full of stories and information and has great passion for her country. She was great with the kids too.

• 3 weeks later...

We've used Marva each time we've been to Ocho Rios and highly recommend her. The first time we went there were just 4 of us and the second time 12 people in my group and she was wonderful. Very trustworthy, reliable and she will make sure you have a good time. You can't go wrong booking a tour with Marva Shaw.

• 2 months later...

Can you all please tell me what an acceptable tip is? And who all do we tip? We are going to do a historical drive with Marva (I know we tip her...how much is customary?), go to lunch at Scotchies (do we tip as we order here or tip at the picnic table or both?), Reggae Beach (we tip our servers, I know!), and then shopping and back to pier. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I am a pretty decent tipper (always give 20%+ here in states after meals, etc as long as we get good service), but I don't always know what is customary on excursions.

Thanks!

Does she do tours in Montego Bay? Is she safe? I hear so many negatives about private tours.

We just got back from a cruise last year and our favorite part was the private tours we did in St Marteen.

How does she do with children?

Thanks.

Do a forum search under Jamaica and you'll find lots of information about Marva. She gets nothing but awesome reviews (she and her son!), and everyone says they never felt unsafe with her/him. There was one guy who did say the van was older and that the front seatbelt didn't work, but he said there were plenty other seatbelts that did work. I am a little leary about using a private tour guide as well, BUT the most recent accident I read about was on a ship sponsored tour (all those poor people on the excursion in St. Thomas..or St. Marteen....that was a RCI Serenade of the Seas sponsored excursion), so I think it's best just to pick the one you feel safest with and go with your gut feelings! Marva has answered me back right away when I've emailed her, and she sounds like such a fun, enthusiastic guide eager to make your trip to Jamaica the best it can be!!

Use this guy - he has been doing tours in Jamaica for many years! Great guide - I have used him both from Mo Bay and Falmouth. Check out his website at http://www.TrevorHudlinTours.com - you will not be disappointed. We recently did the "observer" walk along the side tour at Dunn's Falls and it was great. One couple actually climbed the falls, but most of us walked beside it. Very scenic and he did a great job as usual. Another guide caught a ride into Ochos Rios with him on our way back and he told us all Trevor was the best in the business and he was from another company!

Whatever you do or wherever you go - def use a guide or tour. Check out his prices - much less than booking with the ship! He had a very nice van - we had a group of 10, but think it had a few extra seats remaining.

Anyone had problems getting an answer when emailing Marva? I have been trying for days, and it is hit or miss. I cannot get final answers or confirmation, which seems odd compared to all the positive notes on here....
I have used Marva before with wonderful results!! :p I e-mailed several days ago, and have not received a response, but we have until April, so I am not worried.. :)

Jamaica is quite 'laid back'.. !! You'll receive an answer soon... :D As will I..

I did finally get a note, but she still has not addressed any of the questions. I sent another email back and nothing since then.

We are in Jamaica in less than 2 weeks, so I am afraid we will have to find another alternative :(

I did finally get a note, but she still has not addressed any of the questions. I sent another email back and nothing since then.

We are in Jamaica in less than 2 weeks, so I am afraid we will have to find another alternative :(

I sent an e-mail over a week ago, and tho' I am a repeat customer, have heard nothing!..:(

Am making other plans as we 'speak'.... DRAT!:o

Archived