Time required between flight arrival and next flight depart at London Gatwick airport

Cruizann

My DH and I will be flying from Toronto to London Gatwick airport in November and would like to take a flight to Lisbon and then onto to Funchal Medeira the same day. Our flight from Toronto To London Gatwick with West Jet will arrive at 9:10 am and the flight to Lisbon on TAP Portugal will depart at 10:40 am. Is this very risky or will their be enough time to catch the TAP flight at 10:40 am. Thank you for all your advise.

Assuming that your flights are not booked 'through', there is a free service called Gatwick Connects for passengers whose luggage is not booked through. http://www.gatwickairport.com/at-the-airport/flying-in/gatwickconnects/ I believe that this means that you stay airside and never officially enter the UK. You will clear customs and immigration at Lisbon.

You should have an hour and a half, which is OK, just about, providing that your first flight is not delayed. I am sure that I read somewhere that Eastbound flights are often early, but I wouldn't bank on it.

I guess it all depends on your attitude to risk.

Edited by Bob++

My DH and I will be flying from Toronto to London Gatwick airport in November and would like to take a flight to Lisbon and then onto to Funchal Medeira the same day. Our flight from Toronto To London Gatwick with West Jet will arrive at 9:10 am and the flight to Lisbon on TAP Portugal will depart at 10:40 am. Is this very risky or will their be enough time to catch the TAP flight at 10:40 am. Thank you for all your advise.

Considering all the grief Westjet has had with the 767s they're flying to LGW, I would say this is pretty much a non-starter. I would personally schedule at least a day between flights to allow for any possible delays/cancellations.

I consider that to be quite tight. There's a terminal change involved to make the LIS flight. If you can through check, or use Gatwick Connects service, it may be ok but me, I'd be nervous about it.

Agree, that would be a horrible nervracking 24 hours.

I am sure that I read somewhere that Eastbound flights are often early ...
I think that's myth, frankly.
Considering all the grief Westjet has had with the 767s they're flying to LGW, I would say this is pretty much a non-starter.
Even without any airline-specific grief, I would have said that a 90-minute inter-terminal transfer across two tickets is a non-starter anyway. I absolutely would not do this, and I'm not as risk-averse in relation to air travel as many are on CC.

I flew into Heathrow from Washington, DC earlier this year on United, then out of Gatwick to Tenerife the next morning on BA. I usually like to overnight if I'm on separate tickets, just in case there's some long delay. Took the National Express and stayed at the Premier Inn there at Gatwick, good hotel and not expensive for an airport hotel it was only 50 pounds.