Pacific Coastal Cruise what type clothing

It is highly unlikely while at sea you will be able to wear warm weather clothes like capris or shorts.

Do a search for sites like accuweather for weather patterns and history in each of your ports. As we don't know what ports you will be stopping in, the weather could vary pretty widely.

Edited by CruiserBruce

In the SF Bay Area alone, there are five micro-climates. Weather is so variable year-round and morning to night that you can always tell who are regular bridge commuters by the clothes bar hanging over their back seats. Bottom line: layers always at the ready in Northern California.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Dress in layers. Bring some shorts, capris and long pants. Also a jacket. It will be cool at night.

April weather can be anything 50's and rainy in San Francisco to near 100s in Los Angeles. Those are the highs. At night San Francisco might get 10 degrees cooler, Los Angeles 40 degrees cooler. On sea the temps can be very cool.

We will be sailing out of San Diego in May and will be stopping at Catalina Island, San Francisco and Victoria, British Columbia. We then disembark in Vancouver. I was checking on weather, and it sounds rather spring like. I was thinking pants with layers, such as lightweight sweaters over short sleeved shirts, then maybe lightweight infinity type scarves? This way I could remove the scarf if it was warm, then the sweater, if needed.

We are flying from New York to San Diego, and although I am not the type to worry about packing light, I am aware that jeans and sweaters will be heavier than shorts and tank tops like we need for the Caribbean. :D:D

• 1 month later...

Sorry so long getting back to this post just have had so much going on.

The ports we will be making stops at are a follows which may help you all better as one the people that posted said didn't not what ports we would be visiting.

Leaving LA, San Francisco, Santa Barbara, San Diego, Ensenada, Mx

April 18th-25th, 2015.

Thanks for any in put.:)

I see that most of your cruises have been warm weather cruises in tropical waters. The Pacific Ocean is not warm, nor is it tropical. It is a cold ocean and the winds that blow off it are cool - much different than the Caribbean, Florida or the eastern gulf coast of Mexico. You will need layers at a minimum if you wish to be out on deck while cruising. A windbreaker will make a difference.

Most of your ports will be lovely in the spring. Your two northernmost California ports will likely be cooler than the others, but the likelihood of cold weather here is not great. You should be fine with a sweater if temperatures are cool. San Francisco can be damp and cool. If you are not used to the damp then you may feel cooler than the actual temperature suggests. Capris are good, but have long pants "at the ready."

Have a great time exploring the Pacific coast!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Native Californian here and live in San Diego. We've cruised a lot, and are doing the coastal California cruise for a fun getaway. What I'd offer is that I rarely take jeans on cruises -- usually pack something a little spiffier. But for the California cruise, I am packing jeans, a sweatshirt, and a windbreaker. That will be my go-to daytime wardrobe. It is usually quite cool on the California coast, and people on the West Coast are very casual. Even in Santa Barbara.

Native Californian here and live in San Diego. We've cruised a lot, and are doing the coastal California cruise for a fun getaway. What I'd offer is that I rarely take jeans on cruises -- usually pack something a little spiffier. But for the California cruise, I am packing jeans, a sweatshirt, and a windbreaker. That will be my go-to daytime wardrobe. It is usually quite cool on the California coast, and people on the West Coast are very casual. Even in Santa Barbara.

So true that people on the West Coast are very casual! There's a noticeable difference from other regions in the U.S. In the Pacific Northwest, we are not only more casual, but you'll also find more subdued and darker colors - perhaps to match our frequently gray skies.