St. Thomas: Ultimate Island Experience

Carnival offers a shore excursion on St. Thomas that they call the Ultimate Island Experience. I'd love to get some input from people on this excursion. If you've been on it, please share your experience.

We are also interested in doing the Skyride. I am under the impression that is right by the cruise terminal...is this correct? Would it be realistic to hop on that on the way back to the ship?

For those who are familiar with the island, based on this description, do you think it would be worth while?

From Carnival's web site:

Experience all the highlights of the U.S. Virgin Islands’ most popular island, including: a variety of beaches, spectacular views, historical locations, and the ultimate shopping experience.

On this comprehensive excursion you will:

• Begin with a scenic ride along Skyline Drive offering breathtaking views of Charlotte Amalie Harbour, the Caribbean Sea, the British Virgin Islands and Magen's Bay, rated by many travel magazines as one of the top ten beaches in the world.
  • At Drake's Seat, enjoy a great photo stop of these spectacular views before continuing down to the heart-shaped beach at Magen's Bay for two hours of sun, swimming and fun.
  • Continue on to famous Blackbeard's Hill, the "Williamsburg of the Caribbean".
  • Prior to exploring the historic surroundings of Blackbeard's Hill, relax in the sun and enjoy any of the three delightful swimming pools.
  • Take a self-guided tour through completely restored historical buildings set on approximately 5 acres of grounds dating as far back as the late 1600's. Historic structures include the world famous Blackbeard's Castle and former manor houses Villa Notman, Britannia House, Crown House (once used by visiting Danish Royalty), Haagensen House, the Rum Museum and Hotel 1829.
  • See lush tropical gardens, terraces, fountains and a 20-foot waterfall that add to the splendor of the settings.
  • At your leisure, hop aboard one of our continuous shuttle buses or take a short walk via the famous 99 Steps to Main Street to indulge your passion for the great recommended shopping in St. Thomas.

Note: This excursion ends downtown. Guests are responsible for the return transportation to the ship. Duration depends on the guest's personal touring and sopping time. Changing facilities are available.

TIA for any tips/advice/input you can offer...

I too was just looking at this for our stop in STT! Have already done the "Godfrey' tour - wanted to get to Magen's bay this trip - and this sounds like it has a little bit of everything!

Awaiting some feedback!

Frouf:D

Godfrey is very accommodating and will take you to Magen's bay if you wish. Last trip we toured with Godfrey and ended up at Sapphire Beach but I understand the facilities there are now closed.

This trip considering Megan's Bay or Coki (I understand the snorkelling is much better at Coki?). May take the Sunny Liston tour (just for a change) or the Ultimate Island Experience - presuming I can get some feedback on it??

Looks like there have not been many 'takers'?

Froufie

• 6 months later...
Carnival offers a shore excursion on St. Thomas that they call the Ultimate Island Experience. I'd love to get some input from people on this excursion. If you've been on it, please share your experience.

We are also interested in doing the Skyride. I am under the impression that is right by the cruise terminal...is this correct? Would it be realistic to hop on that on the way back to the ship?

For those who are familiar with the island, based on this description, do you think it would be worth while?

From Carnival's web site:

Experience all the highlights of the U.S. Virgin Islands’ most popular island, including: a variety of beaches, spectacular views, historical locations, and the ultimate shopping experience.

On this comprehensive excursion you will:

• Begin with a scenic ride along Skyline Drive offering breathtaking views of Charlotte Amalie Harbour, the Caribbean Sea, the British Virgin Islands and Magen's Bay, rated by many travel magazines as one of the top ten beaches in the world.
  • At Drake's Seat, enjoy a great photo stop of these spectacular views before continuing down to the heart-shaped beach at Magen's Bay for two hours of sun, swimming and fun.
  • Continue on to famous Blackbeard's Hill, the "Williamsburg of the Caribbean".
  • Prior to exploring the historic surroundings of Blackbeard's Hill, relax in the sun and enjoy any of the three delightful swimming pools.
  • Take a self-guided tour through completely restored historical buildings set on approximately 5 acres of grounds dating as far back as the late 1600's. Historic structures include the world famous Blackbeard's Castle and former manor houses Villa Notman, Britannia House, Crown House (once used by visiting Danish Royalty), Haagensen House, the Rum Museum and Hotel 1829.
  • See lush tropical gardens, terraces, fountains and a 20-foot waterfall that add to the splendor of the settings.
  • At your leisure, hop aboard one of our continuous shuttle buses or take a short walk via the famous 99 Steps to Main Street to indulge your passion for the great recommended shopping in St. Thomas.

Note: This excursion ends downtown. Guests are responsible for the return transportation to the ship. Duration depends on the guest's personal touring and sopping time. Changing facilities are available.

TIA for any tips/advice/input you can offer...

if you would like to see our pics from Magens bay 7th Dec 2006 please go to http://www.pictage.com and the event is Purvis & Taylor. It is a beautiful place. I have been to many many lovely places, but this has got to be one of the best.

if you would like to see our pics from Magens bay 7th Dec 2006 please go to http://www.pictage.com and the event is Purvis & Taylor. It is a beautiful place. I have been to many many lovely places, but this has got to be one of the best.

Thanks for the info on Magen's Bay - did you take this tour? How was it? Was the beach crowded? What were the swimming pools like?

Thanks,

Froufie

We were undecided as well about what to do in St. thomas. I found Henry Christopher on line (www.eeetours.com) and loved hime. He took us anywhere we wanted to go and we had him all day. We could've went to Meagans bay but opted to go to Coki beach with our kids! Loved it!! There were no waves and the snorkeling was great. Henry is a retired police officer and is now a Pastor. E-mail me if you have any questions ! jsbenton1@yahoo.com

Thanks for the info on Magen's Bay - did you take this tour? How was it? Was the beach crowded? What were the swimming pools like?

Thanks,

Froufie

we didnt do a tour as we were getting married, but if we ever go back to St Thomas, I think I would like to spend longer at Magens bay, and go swimming, clear clean water, very clean beaches ( they are very strict, we werent allowed our confetti) and even when we left at after midday , it wasnt crowded by any means. The cable car up to Paradise point was easy to just turn up and book, although allow a good two hours. You can walk back to the ship from there.

Delice

• 1 month later...

We did this tour with RCCL in spring last year. We hadn't been to St Thomas before, and thought it was a good introduction to the island. We loved our time at Magen's Bay, but have read that the snorkling is better at other beaches. We just enjoyed the beach and cooling off in the sea.

Blackbeard's Hill was interesting, with lots of information about various pirates that operated in the Caribbean, and there are lots of statues around depicting them. We only saw one pool (I think) that wasn't very big, but only a very few people using it, or relaxing on the loungers beside it. There were great views back to the ship from here.

We walked back down the hill into town, but there was a shuttle bus you could use.

We had planned to ride up to Paradise Point at the end of the day, but because we were late returning, there wasn't time to do it. Next time!

Could we tour Haagensen House and /or other historical buildings in the area at the end of the organized tour? Some of our group really like history and feel they might miss this part if we take the Ultimate Island Tour. Through Costa they offer Historical Sights and Highlights which includes touring Old Quarters, Haagensen House, Blackbeard's Tower, 99 Steps and Paradise Point, but no beach time. Any suggestions on doing the tour, the beach, and the historical homes? Are all three possible?

As you walk from Blackbeard's Hill down the 99 steps to Main Street, you pass Haagensen House, Hotel 1829 and other historical buildings that you can do a self-guided tour of. This is at the end of the island tour, so you could take your time if you weren't rushing to do shopping. If you had people with different tastes in your group, some could spend time exploring the historical houses while others went shopping and then you could all meet up at an agreed time.

Have a wonderful time!

On the Ultimate Island Tour, you do all three; Blackbeard's Hill, Beach and Historical Houses. They don't however, include the Paradise Point tram.

I don't know about the Costa tour.

We had intended to do the Paradise Point ride at the end of the day, but were late getting back so didn't have time.

Archived