If cruise price goes down, am I Screwed???

granni10

Unless you booked early saver you can't take advantage of price drops after FP.

However, you can ask to be moved to a higher category if available (and pricing is equal or lower than your current category). So, not totally screwed, but no OBC either...

Apparently, even Early Saver may not be protection from price drops. The cruise I booked several months ago is now $100 less. I haven't made final payment yet (which is due next week) and I have been trying unsuccessfully for nine or ten days to get the price adjusted. I have sent in three or four Price Protection forms AND been told over the phone by a Carnival representative that I definitely qualify for the drop and she would note it on my account but STILL no adjustment has been made. It is VERY frustrating because I was kind of afraid to book under ES to begin with because I've taken many cruises and KNOW that the prices can drop. But I thought I was safe with Carnival's Price Protection program. Unfortunately.......NOT.

If we pay in full for our cruise 77 days before our cruise date, and the price of the cruise goes down, is there anything we can get or do? Or are we SCREWED???

Thanks

it makes no difference when you pay.

What matters is Carnival's final payment date. They will refund the money up until their final payment date.

All rates get price drops until midnight the night before Carnival's date.. it makes no difference if as you say.. you paid early.

It depends on the length of the cruise.. when the final payment date is.. so Im not sure.. but if you are only paying 2 days early.. chances are in those 2 days.. no price drops.

Apparently, even Early Saver may not be protection from price drops. The cruise I booked several months ago is now $100 less. I haven't made final payment yet (which is due next week) and I have been trying unsuccessfully for nine or ten days to get the price adjusted. I have sent in three or four Price Protection forms AND been told over the phone by a Carnival representative that I definitely qualify for the drop and she would note it on my account but STILL no adjustment has been made. It is VERY frustrating because I was kind of afraid to book under ES to begin with because I've taken many cruises and KNOW that the prices can drop. But I thought I was safe with Carnival's Price Protection program. Unfortunately.......NOT.

Zoey they are pretty backed up. They ask for 5-10 business days to process. If it has been more than that call them on MONDAY because that department is not accessible during the weekend so they can research your request. I know i put in a request..1st time took 3 business days to come back...the last one too about 10 business days. Don't give up on ES just yet.;)

It does take a few days and even up to the full 10 days to get the response from early saver forms. If you send in multiple forms that only clogs up the system even further. I love early saver.. I have saved untold amounts of money on the cruises i have booked with it. I have $460 in OBC for my cruise in two weeks....I also saved $120 a room for three rooms booked for a march cruise. be patient and give them time to process the paperwork.

If you are before final payment date, why not call the person you booked with for the credit instead of the form. All rates are adjusted before final payment date.

If you were satisfied with the price you booked at why would you think you were screwed if the price went down/

Wouldn't YOU be upset if this was you??? I feel like alot of your posts are so HARSH!!! Now I can see why JH spoke of you in his blog last week. Geez. People come here for support, not criticism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you were satisfied with the price you booked at why would you think you were screwed if the price went down/

It does take a few days and even up to the full 10 days to get the response from early saver forms. If you send in multiple forms that only clogs up the system even further. I love early saver.. I have saved untold amounts of money on the cruises i have booked with it. I have $460 in OBC for my cruise in two weeks....I also saved $120 a room for three rooms booked for a march cruise. be patient and give them time to process the paperwork.

Why would you be satisfied? Wouldn't YOU want the decrease, or do you not bother?

Read the bottom post here, that's why!!

Wouldn't YOU be upset if this was you??? I feel like alot of your posts are so HARSH!!! Now I can see why JH spoke of you in his blog last week. Geez. People come here for support, not criticism.

I don't see Stu's response as harsh at all. In fact, I think there is great truth in it. If you find a price that you book at, you obviously must feel it is fair. I never count on a price drop. I certainly would never feel 'screwed' if the price went down after final payment. That is the chance that one takes - wait and see what happens or get what you want and be happy.

I don't see Stu's response as harsh at all. In fact, I think there is great truth in it. If you find a price that you book at, you obviously must feel it is fair. I never count on a price drop. I certainly would never feel 'screwed' if the price went down after final payment. That is the chance that one takes - wait and see what happens or get what you want and be happy.

I guess I feel differently. I have paid a higher price than I am used to paying, or higher than I paid in the past.. because thats what it was.. and for whatever reason .. I wanted to be on that exact cruise.. so I paid the price.

It for sure doesnt mean I am satisfied with the price .. just because I said ok Ill pay it. that is something people say that makes no sense to me either. like a cop out.. well you must have been satisfied with the price or you wouldnt have agreed to book it.. ahh well not actually.

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be thrilled to know you could have saved $$$$$. I think that's all the OP is saying. ANYONE would be upset to find out they COULD have booked for cheaper. His replies just always seem to come across as rude, IMHO

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be thrilled to know you could have saved $$$$$. I think that's all the OP is saying. ANYONE would be upset to find out they COULD have booked for cheaper. His replies just always seem to come across as rude, IMHO

Exactly;) We all know the price we booked for, the point is why sit back and let the next person get it for$100 cheaper while you sit by and say "oh, well, I'll just pay it".

Actually you are wrong in my particular case - I do not get upset if the price drops after final payment. It is the chance that I take in order to get the specific room that I want. If I was willing to settle for something else (possibly below the pool or near the kitchen or above a late night lounge ... you get the idea :eek: ), then, sure, I'd book at the last minute and take advantage of some good pricing.

Besides, if you really are that concerned over price drops and ensuring that you can get them, book ES.

I guess I feel differently. I have paid a higher price than I am used to paying, or higher than I paid in the past.. because thats what it was.. and for whatever reason .. I wanted to be on that exact cruise.. so I paid the price.

It for sure doesnt mean I am satisfied with the price .. just because I said ok Ill pay it. that is something people say that makes no sense to me either. like a cop out.. well you must have been satisfied with the price or you wouldnt have agreed to book it.. ahh well not actually.

I would not book a ship if I had to settle for a price though, especially if I thought it was too high. That would be the difference here.

Perfectly reasonable question.

Sure OP, strive to get the best deal you can, but don't get yourself into a funk. If you're correct about qualifying for the price drop, keep up the pressure to get it applied. If not, if the price was worth booking for, it doesn't make sense to let it put a damper on your vacation.

If we pay in full for our cruise 77 days before our cruise date, and the price of the cruise goes down, is there anything we can get or do? Or are we SCREWED???

Thanks

You would only be screwed if the price of the cruise went up and they billed you for the increase.

Like!!!!!!!

I agree. And everytime I see his/her name, I remember it and it can only be because of some of his harsh, sarcastic comments. Can't think of any other reason I would remember him:eek:

This is cruise critic and people have the right to state their own opinion. Some people just aren't very tactful. Now, back to the subject at hand. If the price goes up before final payment would be be willing to cough up the the extra price increase? I think not. Remember, the whole purpose of price decrease is to increase new bookings; not to give current passengers refunds...just from a business stand point. Carnival is in it to increase stockholders value and to general a profit. Cruise lines; however, allow under most fares (not all) to give you price adjustment up to final payment date; not when you make final payment. If you paid in full prior to final payment and the price goes down the cruise lines will either give you a refund for the difference on however you made final payment-check or credit card. Remember, when you book early you get the dining time and cabin selection of widest & best available so you pay a premium for that luxury. After final payment date, that's it and you're locked with the fare as penalties kick in. The people that book last minute - get the crumbs. I would highly advise you not to look at prices after final payment as it might only upset you. Cruise lines frequent (and you should count on it) discount prices to fill ship up to full occupancy after final payment.

This is cruise critic and people have the right to state their own opinion. Some people just aren't very tactful. Now, back to the subject at hand. If the price goes up before final payment would be be willing to cough up the the extra price increase?

I didnt know that was the subject at hand.

I have not been cruising all that long, and I remember only a few years ago when all rates got price drops until the ship left port. No one back then ever said.. hey is this fair.. would you pay if the price went up.. no, they said, well if Jack is paying less.. I want to pay less too.

Archived