Copenhagen Hotels

LTC

Does anyone have any recommendations for a reasonably priced/conveniently located hotel? Thanks

We stayed at Hotel Bethel, located right on Nyhavn Canal.

Simple lodging, good breakfast, amazing view!

Link to their website:

http://www.hotel-bethel.dk/

Trip Advisor link to Hotel Bethel:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g189541-d237647-Reviews-Somandshjemmet_Bethel-Copenhagen_Zealand.html

We are booked at the Copenhagen Strand, which is on the canal. We got a family room through booking dot com and as I checked back I was able to get a lower price by $300 and breakfast every day.

Previously, my Mom and I stayed at the Admiral, which was a fantastic place. Not especially cheap, and we upgraded to a Jr. Suite. It was a great hotel with a wonderful restaurant, Salt, and a fun bar.

Both hotels are in the Nyhav area, which might not be the most centrally located, but I think it is so beautiful there!

All the hotels have good and bad written about them, so it's a leap of faith! You can also ask the Copenhagen local who has a thread on this site.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a reasonably priced/conveniently located hotel? Thanks

Like alexandra cruiser, we stayed at and loved the central location and "style" of The Square. Tell us more on what specifically you seek when you say . . . "reasonably priced"?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 65,588 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Since we'll only be in Copenhagen for a day and a half pre-cruise we were thinking of staying at the airport Hilton. From their website it appears that we could get the metro from the airport to town for touring. We are planning to use Princess transfers to the port, and they're only available at the airport. What are the downsides to that plan?

We read through the reviews on Tripadvisor to help us in choosing a hotel to best meet our needs and preferences. DH insisted on a hotel with AC and we found most hotels in the city do not have it. Depending on when you travel, and your own comfort level, that may or may not be a consideration. We had great luck on Priceline for the Marroitt.

Since we'll only be in Copenhagen for a day and a half pre-cruise we were thinking of staying at the airport Hilton. From their website it appears that we could get the metro from the airport to town for touring. We are planning to use Princess transfers to the port, and they're only available at the airport. What are the downsides to that plan?

For our fellow Ohio residents, the big downside with an airport hotel is that you could be missing some or much of the immediate, potential charm and beauty of Copenhagen.

Walking around in Copenhagen is so much of the wonderful beauty and glory for this great city. Staying at the airport and taking mass transit in and back could make it harder to enjoy fully some of night going to Tivoli, seeing the lights, being up early in the am (as your body clock has not adjusted, yet), etc., etc. My early morning walking around in Copenhagen was so, so super wonderful. You got a better "feel" for how those who lived there experienced their city. Lots of bike riders, seeing the spectacular architecture, street art, etc. Below are a few of my favorite visuals from Copenhagen. You can see it, kind of, if staying at the airport, but WHY???

Immersion is important to experience a city and you do that better by staying at a "local" hotel close, within and around the city. Staying at a Marriott is OK, but is that really Denmark and Copenhagen?? Being "UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL" can be important, at least for me, personally. Having visited 22 different countries in Europe, I like to feel like I'm staying there, not just visiting or passing through. Sorry for my mini sermon. Just sharing!! Once you do Copenhagen, you'll love it!!

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 65,732 views.

Copenhagen’s famed Tivoli has a wide variety of entertainment happening each day and evening. Here, we enjoyed this super energized “BIG BAND” performance, including the Duke’s famed “Night Train” sounds. This park inspired Walt Disney for his great 20th Century creations! Tivoli’s history goes back to 1844. Very unique and special place that is so handy. If possible, visit there in the evening when the lighting makes things so much more magical!!:

TivoliBigBand.jpg

Lots of great statues and interesting architecture in Copenhagen to enjoy as you walk around in this historic city.:

1-CPH-StatueonWalk.jpg

Copenhagen’s Nyhavn or “new” Harbor is actually old and charming. This waterfront entertainment district is lined by brightly colored 17th and early 18th century townhouses and bars, cafes and restaurants. Serving as a "heritage harbor", the canal also has many historical wooden ships. Lots of people and fun activity!!:

Boat.jpg

This is the Gefion Springvandet fountain we walked past on our afternoon stroll back to our docked ship. This is Copenhagen’s largest monument and was built in 1908. It is based on a Scandinavian mythical tale of the goddess Gefion who plowed the island of Zealand out of Sweden. It was donated by the Carlsberg Foundation on the occasion of the brewery’s 50-year anniversary.:

1A-Copenhagen-Fountain.jpg

Bike riding in Copenhagen is super big and busy in the Danish Capital. You need to keep an eye out, especially during the early morning later afternoon “rush hours”. Folks are on the way to work with an “intensity”.

CPNBikeRiders.jpg

Copenhagen's City Hall and its large Square are in the heart of the main downtown, near Tivoli and the central train station. Completed in 1905, it was designed in the "National Romantic" style with inspiration from the Siena City Hall. Dominated by its richly-ornamented front wth the gilded statue of Absalon just above the balcony, its tall, slim clock tower is 345.6 feet or 105.6 meters tall. It is one of the tallest buildings in Denmark.:

1-CPH-CityHall.jpg

We read through the reviews on Tripadvisor to help us in choosing a hotel to best meet our needs and preferences. DH insisted on a hotel with AC and we found most hotels in the city do not have it. Depending on when you travel, and your own comfort level, that may or may not be a consideration. We had great luck on Priceline for the Marroitt.

What price was your successful bid at the Marriott? For what date?

For our fellow Ohio residents, the big downside with an airport hotel is that you could be missing some or much of the immediate, potential charm and beauty of Copenhagen.

Walking around in Copenhagen is so much of the wonderful beauty and glory for this great city. Staying at the airport and taking mass transit in and back could make it harder to enjoy fully some of night going to Tivoli, seeing the lights, being up early in the am (as your body clock has not adjusted, yet), etc., etc. My early morning walking around in Copenhagen was so, so super wonderful. You got a better "feel" for how those who lived there experienced their city. Lots of bike riders, seeing the spectacular architecture, street art, etc. Below are a few of my favorite visuals from Copenhagen. You can see it, kind of, if staying at the airport, but WHY???

Immersion is important to experience a city and you do that better by staying at a "local" hotel close, within and around the city. Staying at a Marriott is OK, but is that really Denmark and Copenhagen?? Being "UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL" can be important, at least for me, personally. Having visited 22 different countries in Europe, I like to feel like I'm staying there, not just visiting or passing through. Sorry for my mini sermon. Just sharing!! Once you do Copenhagen, you'll love it!!

Do you have a suggestion in the new harobr area?

Walking around in Copenhagen is so much of the wonderful beauty and glory for this great city. ............................

Thank you for the pictures and comments! IMHO: you are so right in the "imersion" attitude for getting the feel of the places we travel. So of our best times happend when we were actually lost on the way to the next "important" stop. :)

What price was your successful bid at the Marriott? For what date?

We are travelling in July. I bid $101 for my first bid and it was accepted (price before taxes, etc.). I have read on the boards that others have not been so lucky with bids up to $150. We may have won because we are staying for two nights rather than one. We booked last fall.

and I posted info about it,,I think to YOU,,,haha..not sure.

Very large,quiet,great views ,close to restaurants and grocery.

Good for family,since former apartments.

Only drawback is location,,across river from city central,,but easy taxi ride and closer to airport on way home.:)

Do you have a suggestion in the new harobr area?

petel: Walking around in Copenhagen is so much of the wonderful beauty and glory for this great city. ............................ Thank you for the pictures and comments! IMHO: you are so right in the "imersion" attitude for getting the feel of the places we travel. So of our best times happend when we were actually lost on the way to the next "important" stop.

Sorry for FritzG' date=' we didn't stay in the new harbor area, so I don't have the specific suggestions/experiences to share for there. [b']One of the "realities" for Copenhagen is that prices and availabilities will vary so much from week to week and day to day.[/b] Depending on the cruise ships departing, conventions in town, etc., prices and avails go up and down, lots and lots!! I would also get something booked early and then check back. On two different times, prices went down as we got closer to our dates for being there. That's just the way these hotel computer booking systems work. Those computers try to maximize and adjust pricings as they project how demand will be for each different day and week. It does vary so much and change quickly, UP and down!!

Appreciate the nice comments by patel on my pictures and seconding the comments about "immersion". YES, getting the feel for "being there" is important! Agree on "getting lost" being one of the fun experiences for traveling in certain parts of Europe, discovering special surprises and locations, etc.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 73,417 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 65,820 views.

We are travelling in July. I bid $101 for my first bid and it was accepted (price before taxes, etc.). I have read on the boards that others have not been so lucky with bids up to $150. We may have won because we are staying for two nights rather than one. We booked last fall.

You are so lucky!

I have been trying for almost a month now to get the Marriott on Priceline. I've successfully bid for it twice in the past in 2007 and 2010. But this time around, I'm not having any luck at all.

Started at $99 have gone all the way up to $149 and still haven't gotten it.

But then again, I need a hotel in August (busiest time of the year for Europeans to travel) and for a Saturday night....

I'm going to keep trying for another month before I give up and just find a hotel to book!

• 3 months later...

Ok this will sound like a silly question - but I have never booked a hotel on Priceline and don't know how it really works. I have been reading CC posts that some people have gotten the Marriott in Copenhagen for a very inexpensive rate. How exactly does that work? I thought that with Priceline you don't know the hotel you get until after you bid and accept the bid. Is there a way to tell which hotel you are bidding on?

Ok this will sound like a silly question - but I have never booked a hotel on Priceline and don't know how it really works. I have been reading CC posts that some people have gotten the Marriott in Copenhagen for a very inexpensive rate. How exactly does that work? I thought that with Priceline you don't know the hotel you get until after you bid and accept the bid. Is there a way to tell which hotel you are bidding on?

Correct, you don't know the hotel you're bidding on. What you're bidding on is a star level. In Copenhagen, the highest star level is 4, and 95% of the time if someone wins a bid on a 4* hotel in Copenhagen it's the Copenhagen Marriott. But it's definitely not a guarantee.

In Amsterdam, I ended up bidding on Priceline and got a hotel that turns out to be one of Amsterdam's best, but no one ever knew that the hotel even participated in the Priceline program, and no one has ever heard of a winning bid at this hotel before I got it.

You can read more about how to bid, recent wins that others have gotten, and what hotels are most likely at certain star levels at:

http://www.betterbidding.com or http://biddingfortravel.com

We stayed at The Square for one night pre cruise at the end of June. It was exactly as we expected, good location on Town Hall Square, very close to the Train Station and Tivoli, and the Stroget starts across the Square. It seems to cater to business travelers, we were the only American's that we saw during our stay. It is clean and quiet and the staff courteous and helpful. We upgraded our room to a deluxe, it was still small for American standards, I would hate to see what the standard room looks like. Bathroom was fine. Our rate included breakfast which was a good deal for us, nothing too elaborate but substantial enough. The Dane's do not eat the same kind of breakfasts that Americans are used to but there was a decent selection of meats, cheeses, fruits and bakery items. The croissants are not what you will get in Paris! This hotel has A/C but you will be lucky if you need it, the weather has been pretty cool in Copenhagen this summer, 60's F.

We had stayed at another Hotel during our previous 4 day stay in Copenhagen, also on the Town Hall Square, the upscale Kong Frederick. It was lovely but a bit snooty (we arrived looking disheveled from the plane) the prices have skyrocketed over the 7 years since we were there so we opted out of that hotel for this visit.

If we are lucky enough to visit Wonderful Copenhagen again I think I would prefer to stay near Nyhavn. It is also a good central location and there are more restaurants in this area. We walked over to this area along the Stroget from the Square, took a canal boat ride and had dinner. This is a good plan if you are arriving from overseas and have just one day.

To put things in to perspective regarding price, just think how much you would pay to stay in any clean, pleasant hotel in any major city, certainly not much available for under $150 or even $200.

One warning about staying in this location, there is construction going on to extend the subway lines in the Town Hall Square and Nyhavn area. Nothing you can do about this but not the same picture perfect view. There were not any noise issues from the construction or night street noise as some have complained in other posts.

Loved the airport Hilton. It was so convenient. Food there was good and the rooms had floor to ceiling windows and comfy beds. Once you get cleaned up- there is a train from the airport (through a glass tunnel and up an escalator from the Hilton) to Tivoli Gardens- City Center. This was inexpensive, clean and easy to use.

On the day of the cruise you can save money by using the train and then taking a short taxi ride to the ship.

Archived