Trunk Bay after arriving at 1?

gumby_ng

Arriving on St Thomas at 1.....is it not worth the travel time to head over to Trunk Bay......not too much daylight left after getting there.

Are we better off doing to Sapphire or Coki then?

Any car rental places that close later? We are there till 9. Or do they have a key drop off? We could stay out at the beach till it gets dark and drive back in the evening.

Thanks.

Edited by gumby_ng

Arriving on St Thomas at 1.....is it not worth the travel time to head over to Trunk Bay......not too much daylight left after getting there.

Are we better off doing to Sapphire or Coki then?

Any car rental places that close later? We are there till 9. Or do they have a key drop off? We could stay out at the beach till it gets dark and drive back in the evening.

Thanks.

I don't think going to St. John is worth it for a 1:00pm arrival. Assume ship is on time and you are one of the first off, you will not arrive at Trunk until after 2:00pm and if it is fall it will be dark around five.

And do not stay on any beach in St. Thomas after dark. That sounds like the craziest idea I have ever heard of, unless you are looking to be robbed, or possibly even worse. Stay until sunset and leave before the sun is fully down.

Would you please tell me more about this? Was it through the cruise ship or with an independent company? If not through ship, how did you book? What was the cost?

Thank you very much!

We did this excursion through Royal Caribbean's shore excursions. Honestly, I don't remember how much it cost. Ballpark, maybe $50 per person? Trunk Bay is absolutely gorgeous. Truly one of the most beautiful beaches I've been to.

Trunk Bay is beautiful. If you have never been and enjoy snorkeling, you should go. It is not nearly as crowded in the afternoon. Stay a couple of hours at Trunk then head back to Cruz Bay. Go to one of the restaurants on the water and watch one of the most beautiful sunsets you will ever see. Then jump back on the ferry to STT.

If you decide to stay on St. Thomas--Sapphire Beach is gorgeous with very good snorkeling. Magen's Bay is pretty and has a nice bar/food. Coki is very pretty, but I do not feel very safe there. It is really the only beach in St. Thomas that I have been to where I was anxious and somewhat worried. Lindqvist is amazing, but there are no facilities there. It is naturally pretty and will hopefully stay that way. Like St. John, I would stay on the beach a few hours, maybe until about 4:30ish, and head back to the port area. Many places there to catch a nice sunset.

As far as renting a car, the roads there make me very nervous-- no way would I drive them after dark. But that may just be me.