Beijing to Osaka Apr 2005 - help appreciated!

stingraynz

Hi

I am just beginning my research for an upcoming cruise including these ports: Beijing, Dalian (China), Shanghai, Pusan (Korea), Vladivostok (Russia), Nagasaki (Japan), Osaka (Japan) on Sapphire Princess April 2005. We are also planning on seeing Tokyo and Kyoto while in Japan post cruise.

ANY sort of information or tips would be appreciated since we have not yet ventured to Asia and are quite excited. Especially interested on things we can go on our own, private tour guides, favorite ship tours, currency and so on.

Thanks

CHANDRIS/MV Victoria S.Caribbean Dec 1984

EPIROTIKI/The Oceanos S.Caribbean Dec 1986

NCL/ The Dreamward W.Caribbean Dec 1997

PRINCESS/Regal Princess Panama Canal Jan 1999

NCL/Norwegian Crown Bermuda Oct 1999

PRINCESS/Pacific Princess Bermuda Sep 2000

RENAISSANCE/R IV Tahiti&FR Polynesia Mar 2001

NCL/Norwegian Dream South America Feb 2002

PRINCESS/Pacific Princess Bermuda Sep 2002

PRINCESS/Sun Princess Mex Riviera Dec 2002

RCCL/Radiance Of The Seas S.Caribbean Mar 2003

CELEBRITY/Constellation Northern Europe Jun 2003

PRINCESS/Dawn Princess S.Caribbean Dec 2003

PRINCESS/Royal Princess SA/Africa/Med Apr 2004

NCL/Norwegian Sun Exotic Caribbean Dec 2004

PRINCESS/Sapphire Princess ASIA Apr 2005

• 1 month later...

I amassed tons of info on private tours of these ports when we were scheduled to go on an Asian cruise 2 years back. Unfortunately we had to cancel and I am still not there!

I did mention 2005 to spouse and this time he did not COMPLETELY say no, so it may be workable.

If you wish to have any of the urls I amassed, let me know.

Carol

We were on a Pacific Princess a couple of months ago, and spent some time in a few of these ports. Beijing is a great tourist city, and it is possible to get around on your own via taxis and the subway/metro. However, this is a very large city. We were very pleased with the location of our hotel (Beijing Hotel) since it was adjacent to a very high class shopping street. Beijing also is one of the best shopping ports in the world (even cheaper than Bangkok) and its lots of fun. Make sure you leave a few hours to go to the so-called Pearl market where you can buy cheap clothes/purses/ or excellent pearls (the best of the pearls is on the 4th floor). I picked up Ralph Lauren and Gregg Norman shirts for about $2. My wife bought some really nice formal purses for about $5 each (comparable to stuff we have seen in Saks for $200. You will want a guide or tour for some of the major attractions such as the Forbidden City (its huge). You will also need a tour to see the Wall..since its more than an hour drive from the city.

Shanghai can easily be done on your own with the help of a guide book. This is a large city, but the best exploration is done on foot. The port is a long walk into the center of town..or a short taxi ride.

Pusan (also spelled Busan) leaves much to be desired. Its a short taxi ride (or bus) from the pier into the town center where there is a major shopping district full of small shops. The fish market (adjacent to this shopping district is truly amazing and lots of fun. You will not believe the stuff that is sold in this market. As to shopping, we were very disappointed. Prices are higher than in China..and the Koreans do not like to bargain like the Chinese. We were only in this port a few hours...and many of us thought it was too long.

Nagasaki - This was my first return visit to Japan, which had been my home in the late 60s for over 2 years. The folks in Nagasaki went out of their way to welcome our ship (they had a band playing on the pier). The highlight is the museum at the site of the Atomic Bomb explosion. You can get there on your own by using the streetcars (there is a stop in front of the pier). Overall. this port is not great when compared to many other Japanese cities...but it does offer a good perspective of Japan for those who have not spent time in this fascinating country.

You mentioned visiting Tokyo and Kyoto and those are great choices. Kyoto is a very special place...and great for one or two days. Tokyo is an absolutly huge city...but it has a great subway system. I spent weeks in this city (during the 60s and 70s) and still only managed to see a small part of this sprawling metropolis. The unfortunate problem with Japan is that its outrageously expensive for Americans due to the weak dollar. In 1970 the exchange rate was 360 yen to the dollar. Today, its close to 1 to 1. Be very careful about dining in restaurants that cater to tourists..as the price might be staggering. On the other hand, you can have a lot of fun eating in the same places used by the locals. Most restaurants display their food with plastic displays in their windows..and these usually will have the prices (this is very helpful). In Tokyo and Kyoto you will have no problem finding English menus...(a problem in Nagasaki) but the Japanese will always try to be helpful..and you can always point to the displays to help in ordering lunch/dinner.

Hank

Hi Carol

Thanks for the offer to send me the URLs you have collected while doing your asia cruise research. If you wouldn't mind e-mailing them to me at StingrayNZ@aol.com I would appreciate it. I think you should work on the spouse to come on the sailing as well. From what I understand princess has been running a few promotions on that sailing and it is filling up.

Hi Hank

You have been a main source of info on CC thus far, along with HelenB and RKACruiser who is a friend I met on a previous cruise.

I have mentioned to you before I always appreciate and use your info it is always very concise. You have already gave me good insight on the pre-cruise tour to Beijing and I am really looking forward to that.

This current post you gave includes even more info on the shopping (especially the markets) that we are very interested in the seconds and the knockoffs. So thanks again. You mention the pearl market in Beijing is that different that the silk market? Previously I have only heard of the silk market. Does this mean there are two that I have to make sure I go to? ;)

I'm going to add this info to the rest of my data collection.

Yes, the so-called Pearl market is a different market (and location) from the silk market. Off the top of my head I cannot remember the Chinese name of the Pearl market (I could look it up for you when I am home). The Pearl market is in an air conditioned building (great in the summer) and has 4 floors. The first two floors have hundreds of stalls with "knockoffs" and some of these are pretty high quality (my Rolex is still ticking). The third floor has lots of jewelery vendors, but the quality is questionable. On the 4th floor is where you will find the good jewelers, although you need to be careful. We had been told by some airline employees (who go to Beijing every month) to go to a place called "Sharon's" (on the 4th floor) for pearls. We were amazed at this shop where they literally had thousands of necklaces and had their own workshop. We ran into a lady from Atlanta who was in the process of buying several hundred strands to re-sell in the states (it was her business). I am no fan (or expert) on pearls, but Sharon had about every type and quality of pearl on earth. Its was fun to compare the different kinds (i.e. salt water vs fresh water) and the prices were a fraction of what they would be in the US. But the most fun were the knockoffs (many are actually made in the same factories as the real stuff). The only problem is that you need to hold your breath when you come back through US customs..because they could seize any knockoff (this normally does not happen). It does make one wonder when you see a purse or wallet that sells for hundreds of dollars in the states...and they are selling in Beijing for $5 - $10. The bargaining is a lot of fun, and its amazing how low they go when you start to walk away (competition is a good thing). I still think I overpaid for my Ralph Lauren shirts (2 for $5). By the way, buying watch knockoffs (like Rolex's) is not an easy task. They have many levels of quality for these fakes. I bought one cheap fake Rolex for $5...but the top quality fake (about $12) was well worth the "big bucks." China was so much fun that we would go back tomorrow if we had the time.

Hank

Hank

Thanks Hank

Thanks for shopping info - this is what I really need. I have already added your previous reply to my notes. You should be aware they even rate before "Frommers".

It's OK you don't have to look up the name of the Pearl Market for me. I looked it up in my Beijing guide and I see it is right across the street from the temple of Heaven. Now, this is the important question; How did you find or get time while on the cruise tour? We are taking the same one. I didn't see any sort of shopping free time alotted on the schedule and I know the cruiselines never go to the markets. That is one thing I hate about the cruiseline tours. Was the pearl market close to the hotel (walking distance or by cab?). Or did you sneak over there while at the Temple of Heaven? This is my worry about Beijing and not having a lot of free time.

By the way what hotel did you stay at on the cruisetour and what did you think?

Big Thanks

Ahhh. the time question. Its why we generally avoid organized tours (impossible to do in China). We actually had a minor "mutiny" on our tour when a few of us asked our guide (Jason) to help us find some free time. We visited the Temple of Heaven at about 3 in the afternoon,, and some of us left the "tour" at that site and went off on our own. The Pearl market is across the street from the entrance to the Temple of Heaven and was open till very late in the afternoon (maybe even to about 7). Kathy and I left the tour and went to do some shopping, however we only had about an hour because we needed to get back to the hotel (10 min taxi ride) to get ready for dinner. On the day we were to return home (we finished our tour in Beijing) we had a 4:30pm flight and didn't have to leave the hotel until about 12:30. So, we went back to the market at about 9:30 (it opens at 9) and spent a few fun hours. The guides provided for our group (run by the government owned CITS) were excellent well-trained (and college educated) professionals that seemed to be willing to do anything to please. We had a great group of travelers (about 22) and our guide was always willing to work at adjusting our schedule to suit the majority. On our 9 day tour within China (we flew to Xian, than flew to a port to do a 3 day Yantzee cruise) we had the same guide from beginning to end. He (Jason) did a great job getting us through the airports, onto the cruise, and to our various meals. In each city outside of Beijing, we picked-up a 2nd local guide who handled the local tours (although Jason certainly knew enough to do this himself). Although my wife and generally detest being on structured tours, the entire tour experience in China was terrific from beginning to end.

Hank

Hi Hank,

Once again, I learn so much from your posts! I have been looking into a private pre-cruise tour through TravelChinaGuide.com. They would pick us up at the airport, transport us to a hotel, then with just a guide for my daughter & myself, take us around for 3 days, then fly to Xi'an for 3 nites, sightseeing during the day, and upon return flight to Beijing would transport us to the ship. Does about $1900 for the 2 of us sound right or is it too high? Would appreciate your input.

Suzie

Suzie, When it comes to private tours, I am far from an expert. My wife and I have traveled around the world pretty much on our own since we honestly dislike tours. China was the exception since its difficult to do this country independent to a tour guide. Our tour was a package add-on though Princess Cruises...and they subcontracted to China International Travel Service (http://www.cits.com) who is the largest travel company in China. This company is wholly owned by the Chinese government, and we were very impressed by all the staff (all college educated) and their ability to quickly cut through the so-called red tape. We had some long private discussions with our guide (Jason) about the tour business in China..and he mentioned that their company runs tours in different price brackets depending on the class of hotel, food, etc. Our tour was considered in their highest class, so we went to the best hotels and ate in good restaurants (this would be debatable). We would have felt comfortable arranging our own dining in the large cities such as Beijing and Xian....but all of our meals (except for one dinner in Beijing) were included with the tour. Its hard to price tours in China, since they always have higher prices for foreigners vs the Chinese. As an example, the internal air fares are at least twice as high for tourists as they are for locals. On a cost per day basis, your price sounds reasonable...but you might want to do some comparison pricing with CITS. Also keep in mind that guides do expect tips (many consider $8 - $10 per person per day reasonable).

Hank

Went on same cruise about few years ago.

Nagasaki : A gourp of us actually rent a taxi for our tour , the taxi driver take us to Butterfly Lady House, Peace Garden , A. Bomb Museum etc., Personally , I like it because we can walk on our pace. October there is festival going on in Nasagsaki and there is big shopping mall within walking distance from the dock.

Vladivostok : Amount all the port we went, this is the wrose port. Don't join any tour if you are able to leave the ship without joining one. On our trip, Cruise line say that we are no allow to leave the ship unless we join one. On that early morning , we just walk off and most the area are within walking distance. there is musuem, street market and a surmaine on land.

Pusan : as other mentioned above . The street market is huge and a lot of people. We ask a very nice young fellow about the temple we saw on the tour offer by the cruise line . He took us to sudway , help us but the tickets and show us the way to get to the temple. After a short ride about 3 stop . we walk up to the surface and took a short taxi rdie about $4 us to the temple and we saw the tour bus from our cruise line arrive. The temple ( could not remeber the name ) is very nice and is a full function temple . On the day for our visit , we saw a tradition celemory for the death and monks doing their daily routine in there living quater. On the way back, we have to wait a long time for taxi, finally we took a mini-bus down the hill and took subway back to town. the whole trip cost us around $7us per person and the ship charge $70.

Shanghai : I believe still a two days stop over. We join the tour to go to river cannel on the frist day . and the second day we tour on our own. We went to a place use to be a temple and changed to a tourist shopping area and the "Yu Garden" in the middle. The garden is unique and there is a old tea house about hunderd years old. It cost around $8us per psrson ( expenses ) for tea and snack. Amount the snacks are peanuts and the cuelness and smallest rice wrap I ever seen ( like the one you eat at chinese dim sum restaurant wrap by lottous leave ). Shopping is OK on the main street.

Dalian : We join the local tour at the port. She took us to a theme park. However , most the attraction such as the dolpin pool are closed. After the theme park, ladys amount our group ask the tour guide took us the shopping area for the local. Dalian the fashion city of China. She drop us off at the street . I join the ladys for bargain hunting. The clothes are nice and cheap. Bargain and bargain hard ! I just couldn't believe how much you can lower. My friend brought a lady suit for $80yuen from $400yuen asking price. Wow, that is bargain !

Beijing : What could I said. It is a big city. I am going back in 9 days for my second visit. Things are change so much in Beijing. There is so much to do and so little time.

Archived