Luggage Handling Question

f3red

For our HAL Alaska cruise aboard MS Amsterdam departing Seattle on 14 August, we are arriving SEA on Saturday (13 Aug), staying at the Airport Hilton and taking the HAL transfer to the pier. I wonder if we will have to retrieve our bags from the bus or if they will just be taken to our stateroom (Neptune Suite).

Edited by f3red

For our HAL Alaska cruise aboard MS Amsterdam departing Seattle on 14 August, we are arriving SEA on Saturday (13 Aug), staying at the Airport Hilton and taking the HAL transfer to the pier. I wonder if we will have to retrieve our bags from the bus or if they will just be taken to our stateroom (Neptune Suite).

Since you are using HAL's transfer service, your bags will be delivered to your stateroom, with no need for you to claim them at the pier prior to boarding the ship.

Smooth sailing ...

I'm glad to have these reports from the "troops" as it were. We were told so many things, and have trouble keeping it all stratight. I guess the only solution to that is to cruise much more often!

Thanks again,

f3 :)

On two HAL transfers we were asked to "identify" our bags as they were removed from the bus hold, but we did not need to handle them physically.

That's a good policy. If for some reason a bag didn't get on the bus, better to know sooner than later when you may not be able to track it down and retrieve it. And it's good for the bus company because if a bag doesn't make it to your stateroom, they can say "not our fault."

How are you getting a HAL transfer from the hotel? Do you have to return to the airport to meet the bus?

Information I have is that pickup is at the hotel, with details provided at hotel check-in.

f3

That's a good policy. If for some reason a bag didn't get on the bus, better to know sooner than later when you may not be able to track it down and retrieve it. And it's good for the bus company because if a bag doesn't make it to your stateroom, they can say "not our fault."

Makes sense. Honestly, most things do make sense. Eventually... ;)

The few times we've used cruise line transfers we always have gotten off the bus and watched our bags until we see they moved inside the terminal. I think maybe two or three times we've been asked to identify our luggage coming off the bus before it went in to the terminal. I do remember one cruise out of Ft Lauderdale where we stayed in a HAL hotel and used the transfer where they actually brought a separate truck for all the luggage. Even then we did the best we could and we stayed outside the bus until we saw our bags go in the back of the truck.

Recommend you verify (watch) your bags get loaded onto the bus and then given to the dock people when you arrive at the port - just to be extra safe.

Last September in Seattle at pier 91 we had to walk our bags to the point where they are loaded on the x-ray belt. We did not have a HAL transfer but the walk is some distance from the front door.

Recommend you verify (watch) your bags get loaded onto the bus and then given to the dock people when you arrive at the port - just to be extra safe.

We've done that, too.

OK, I admit it, I'm obsessive--I watch the airline check-in agent tag our bags to make sure the correct airport code is on them. You never know, sometimes paying attention to these details can avert a disappointment.

We've done that, too.

OK, I admit it, I'm obsessive--I watch the airline check-in agent tag our bags to make sure the correct airport code is on them. You never know, sometimes paying attention to these details can avert a disappointment.

I like your obsessiveness.......we're the same way. Trust but verify.

F3red - we used the HAL transfer from the airport to our Seattle hotel. When you get to your Seattle Hotel you will be handed a 'hotel letter' from HAL that includes luggage tags to be put on your luggage. You are told to put the luggage near the door (in your room) before 8am the next morning. Your luggage will be delivered directly to your stateroom on board.

You will then be told to meet in a central meeting area with others to be transported to the dock on embarkation day.

If you are doing a round trip cruise from Seattle I would recommend using the luggage direct service that is offered on board when you return. It's $20 per person but is worth it. Your luggage is taken direct from your suite to the airport and you don't have to worry about it till you return home. It's a great service for the price IMO.

F3red - we used the HAL transfer from the airport to our Seattle hotel. When you get to your Seattle Hotel you will be handed a 'hotel letter' from HAL that includes luggage tags to be put on your luggage. You are told to put the luggage near the door (in your room) before 8am the next morning. Your luggage will be delivered directly to your stateroom on board.

You will then be told to meet in a central meeting area with others to be transported to the dock on embarkation day.

If you are doing a round trip cruise from Seattle I would recommend using the luggage direct service that is offered on board when you return. It's $20 per person but is worth it. Your luggage is taken direct from your suite to the airport and you don't have to worry about it till you return home. It's a great service for the price IMO.

This is wonderful information. I'm glad you went into detail since you answered some of my questions. We will arranged to have a HAL transfer to and from a HAL recommended hotel.

Do you remember what time you met in the central meeting area to be transported to the dock on embarkation day?

JimAOK1945 - I don't remember the exact time but I do know it was after 9am and before 11 am. We were dropped off at the pier were the buses park and entered the terminal that was designated for the Amsterdam. Other ships were also embarking at the time.

It took maybe 1 hour (perhaps less) to get our key passes/ID photos, give them our passports to copy and answer a wellness questionaire, be called to board by group and finally find our cabin. They also take pictures of you to later on buy.

We were then allowed to go to the Lido for lunch. The lunch was actually wonderful.....or maybe we were hungry.

JimAOK1945 - I don't remember the exact time but I do know it was after 9am and before 11 am. We were dropped off at the pier were the buses park and entered the terminal that was designated for the Amsterdam. Other ships were also embarking at the time.

It took maybe 1 hour (perhaps less) to get our key passes/ID photos, give them our passports to copy and answer a wellness questionaire, be called to board by group and finally find our cabin. They also take pictures of you to later on buy.

We were then allowed to go to the Lido for lunch. The lunch was actually wonderful.....or maybe we were hungry.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question and provide such wonderful information. I am obsessive about details, especially when traveling. It helps me relax and enjoy myself since I will know what to expect.

Thanks again! :)

First post by Paulinda, that was exactly our experience on July 9TH. We were supposed to check-in with a HAL rep. in lobby between 9and 10AM. There was a large group, some for HAL and some for Princess. Our bus to Westerdam departed about 10:45.

First post by Paulinda, that was exactly our experience on July 9TH. We were supposed to check-in with a HAL rep. in lobby between 9and 10AM. There was a large group, some for HAL and some for Princess. Our bus to Westerdam departed about 10:45.

Was there a separate bus just for the HAL group?

Yes Jim. There was a HAL Cruise Consultant who directed us to the lounge area and made the announcement to board the bus when it arrived. They were all Holland America passengers. There was another bus for other cruisers on a different line who apparently met in different lounge.

We were glad we weren't on any other line as there were literally at least a thousand more passengers on their ships. Amsterdam is a smaller ship holding appx. 1300 plus crew. We boarded fairly quick compared to the other larger ships.

Who are your cruising with? Who ever, have a great cruise.

Yes Jim. There was a HAL Cruise Consultant who directed us to the lounge area and made the announcement to board the bus when it arrived. They were all Holland America passengers. There was another bus for other cruisers on a different line who apparently met in different lounge.

We were glad we weren't on any other line as there were literally at least a thousand more passengers on their ships. Amsterdam is a smaller ship holding appx. 1300 plus crew. We boarded fairly quick compared to the other larger ships.

Who are your cruising with? Who ever, have a great cruise.

I'm cruising with my wife. We will be on the Maasdam. It's our first HAL cruise so it will be a new and exciting experience for us.

I really appreciate all the detailed information people are sharing. The HAL board is extremely helpful!

Thanks!!!

I just signed up for Luggage Direct. I filled in all the blanks but it didn't ask for my credit card number after I clicked on finish.

How will I be billed? Is the cost added to my on board account? Anyone know? :confused:

Did you sign up for LD thru the HAL website? We signed up a day or two before our cruise ended and our charges were on our ship board account. Maybe if you used the website they do the same. Don't know that for a fact.

Alaska is so different than anything else we been too. Enjoy the wildlife and have a great time!

Did you sign up for LD thru the HAL website? We signed up a day or two before our cruise ended and our charges were on our ship board account. Maybe if you used the website they do the same. Don't know that for a fact.

Alaska is so different than anything else we been too. Enjoy the wildlife and have a great time!

I signed up through the HAL website. You're right, the charges will probably be added to our onboard account.

We are really looking forward to this cruise. Thanks for your help.

Edited by JimAOk1945