Whats your magic number?

mrneil001

Im always looking for the best deals when looking for solo cruises. I usually can find cruises about $60+/night, but occasionally run into $55+. If I find a cruise sub $50, I usually book right away depending where it departs from (calculating cheapest airfare). Late last year, Carnival had some crazy deals that were under $40 departing from MIA and FLL.

So whats your magic number? What price will make you jump to make the purchase?

It is not only price, length, ports. Got a great rate for August out of NYC $799 but I have been to the Bahamas a lot. So, I let it expire but it is still available. I will see what is available after my 14 night cruises.

Not into cruises to nowhere unless it is on a yacht[emoji572]️[emoji2]

For me it's not the price but whether or not I've already been to the ports and if I want to go back to them.

I'd rather go somewhere I haven't been to than go back to a place where I've been.

And I'm running out of places. <G>

Im always looking for the best deals when looking for solo cruises. I usually can find cruises about $60+/night, but occasionally run into $55+. If I find a cruise sub $50, I usually book right away depending where it departs from (calculating cheapest airfare). Late last year, Carnival had some crazy deals that were under $40 departing from MIA and FLL.

No magic number for me! I'm not looking for the lowest price, I'm looking for a ship and itinerary that I want. Yes, I'm looking for good value, but not the lowest price.

?? $40 to $60pp or just as a single??? best I have ever done is 90 a night? 120 a night is my limit.

For me to do Breakaway again, I estimate it as $800 for a last minute balcony- but I look at the trip as a whole.

Besides fare I have port fees $200, insurance $130, the tips at $84.

I also budget $300 for potential on ship expenses (specailites, excursions/bingo). I also start with $400 or $500 in cash (needed for bus, taxis, misc. for before cruise, tips during cruise and after cruise) and then factor in hotel price before cruise- next time would be one after as I am already in NYC on the potential date.

i.e last year cost of ship with balcony at around $780 was about $2,030.

When I did epic for $749 around $2,450total.

My 2013 Breakaway which had a base of $1,100 was around $2,300 perhaps

and when I did the Jewel in 2010 the base was around $600 and it finished at $1500.

If I am going from NYC as time goes on I try to keep it a 50/50 mix between the fixed ship and variable costs.

We all have our comfort zone when it comes to the cost of a solo cruise. Personally, I'm past looking at just the bottom line. I have no desire to book a cruise to the Caribbean or Mexico simply because it's dirt cheap. Been there, done that. I prefer to expand my horizons and look for good deals on destinations/itineraries that are on my travel wish list. If the price is something I can live with and within my budget, I'll book it.

Tony

We all have our comfort zone when it comes to the cost of a solo cruise. Personally, I'm past looking at just the bottom line. I have no desire to book a cruise to the Caribbean or Mexico simply because it's dirt cheap. Been there, done that. I prefer to expand my horizons and look for good deals on destinations/itineraries that are on my travel wish list. If the price is something I can live with and within my budget, I'll book it.

Tony

Hi Tony:D....me too......but price is part of the equation.....but

like you, I don't have a specific "majic number".

Oh, I saw you posted about booking a cruise downunder.......

I hate you:D;):)......not fair!

Hi Tony:D....me too......but price is part of the equation.....but

like you, I don't have a specific "majic number".

Oh, I saw you posted about booking a cruise downunder.......

I hate you:D;):)......not fair!

Come with!! :D:D

Tony

Edited by tgmtgm

Lots of factors help me go from looking at different cruises to booking a specific cruise. I usually travel around Christmas/New Years and consider both land trips and cruises. Two years ago I cruised to Hawaii roundtrip from my home port in SF. This year I have a deposit on a cruise to Mexico from SF. I love not having to fly during the holiday

My magic number is $1,000 for a 7 night cruise in an ov cabin from a west coast port. I also prefer my cruises start and end on a Saturday or Sunday so that I'll be able to use fewer vacation days. In March/April I was looking at Alaska cruises (round trip from Seattle and Vancouver) and couldn't find anything I was interested in for May or June. I also checked out a repo cruise from LA to Vancouver that I was able to book for right around $1,000 for an obstructed ov room. Faith

For planned schedule trips that's 9 months or more out, its $1100 & under for 7 days; for last minute ones under $1000 plus airfare. So far, I paid $671 for last minute Carnival trip last year plus $1013 for schedule NCL trip (room got upgraded from a studio to minisuite due to massive price drop). And this year, I paying about $1800 for a scheduled 12 day trip and next year paying around $2100 for 3 weeks (1 week on Escape is $920, 2 weeks on Getaway was $520 each - taxes and port fees included). Not bad in the 'not paying alot' department...:)

No magic number, as it can vary so much by itinerary. And some of the really low priced cruise lines aren't of great interest to me.

I try to look for best value for that particular itinerary. I have no problem with a relatively cheap Caribbean cruise (this spring, I never even got off the ship, and had a great time), but am probably going to spend the most I've ever spent on a cruise to Alaska this fall (if I can make myself make final payment next weekend!).

Being solo, I have relatively more flexibility than many of my friends to be able to book great deals after final payment, so that's often where I find bargains.

Price alone doesn't do it for me. It's got to be a destination and/or ship that I'm interested in. Once over that hurdle, I usually shop for what I can get at around $200/night. This has often resulted in a balcony cabin on NCL.

I'll pretty much take any itinerary if I can get in for $100/day as a solo (except I won't sail Carnival).

I'll spend more for a better cabin, a better ship and a better itinerary. But $150/day (or less) is generally where I start getting interested.

Joe

I'll pretty much take any itinerary if I can get in for $100/day as a solo (except I won't sail Carnival).

I'll spend more for a better cabin, a better ship and a better itinerary. But $150/day (or less) is generally where I start getting interested.

Joe

Oceania had some interesting deals for solos. Keep an eye out.