Different name on birth certificate

Dani24

My birth certificate lists a different last name than the one I use now. My mother and biological father divorced, my mom remarried when I was 2, and I took on my step-dad's name. Originally I was planning on just using my driver's license and birth certificate for identification. But will the different last name pose a problem?

More than likely yes it will. I personally had a problem when one of my forms if Id listed my last name as my mothers last name and my 2nd form of id listed my "correct" last name- its hyphenated of my mom's last name and my dads last name. I have also been denied bording on planes because of ID problems...so if you have time, get your ID's fixed.

My mom did change my name on my social security card, so I don't have a problem with airport security, or things like that. I'm just worried because obviously I can't change the name on my birth certificate.

Oh well, I guess I'll have to shell out another $100 for a passport. I just better make sure I use it again in the next 10 years! =)

Thanks for the responses!

Dani- If your name was legally changed then they are supposed to reissue your birth certificate....thats what I had to have done. How close to your trip are you? It takes 6-8 weeks to get a passport or you pay a lot extra to rush it. You could call your cruise people and ask if you can bring the papers that show where you had your name legally changed and if that would suffice as proof that you are the same person in both your drivers liscense and BC. Good Luck.

My name on my birth cert is different from my DL. I was married for a while but now divorced and did not switch back to maiden name. I cruised Oct of 03 and was not asked to show BC but had it with me. The birthdates are going to match. You do not get a new BC when you get married so alot of people have different names on the two documents right????

I am not worried about it. Your license with picture has all the info on it and BC really just proves your birth date.

Lori

eidted to add...I am not getting a passport now that the government changed the time line. I know alot of people say get it anyway but for me $300 is alot of money to spend that I don't have to. (Need three, me daughter and my mother.)

We sail on November 5th. I'm assuming my name change was "legal" since my mom had to file for a new social security card with my step-dad's last name.

My boyfriend and I have decided just to go for the passports. If it takes 6 weeks, we should get them a week or two before we sail. I can't believe it's going to cost $97! Can you use digital photos for the passport photos, instead of going to Costco or Walgreens or something?

you can take the pictures yourself, however they have to meet the guidelines set forth by the government. 2X2, your face has to be no smaller than 1'' but no bigger than 1 3/4''. It also has to be on paper strong enough to withstand mounting. I just had my pictures done at the post office...it was 10$. That way I knew they would be correct...if the g'vt doesn't like your pictures it will slow down the process of getting your passport. I think its a good idea to get a passport...it really speeds up the process of getting off the boat. This last cruise, my parents didnt have passports but I did, I had to wait another 20-30min on them bc you get put in separte lines. Plus if you ever plan on cruising again, after December 31, the US is requiring all residents to have passports.

Elicia

Just to let you know you don't have to legally change your name to use it on the ss card. It asks what name you were born with and what name you use. My Mom never legally changed our name but it is on everything all of our medical records, school records, my children's BC and my marriage and drivers license. The only time I had trouble was at Motor vehicle and I had to get a letter from a lawyer saying it was legal. You may use any name you want as long as you are not using it in fraud. I do always keep that letter and the one from school and on my dad notarized when we were little. Good luck and I agree that the Passport would be your best choice. Michelle

I am not getting a passport now that the government changed the time line.

Lori- we are cruising in February and was told by the agent that Carnival is keeping this mandatory. Since you are cruising with Carnival can you ask your agent if this is a good idea?

Serene56

I will call my PVP on Tuesday and see what she says. I know alot of people are looking at Carnivals website and seeing the info regarding passports that went into effect April 5, 2005. There have not been any updates on any cruise websites that I can see so far.(I have looked at other cruise lines too) I think now the the government has given new dates the cruise lines will update info. (The dates have only been released for a few days..maybe a week at the most.)

I'll let you know,

Lori

If anyone, including children sail and come back to the US on Dec. 31, 2005, you will need a passport. No questions asked. You don't have one, you won't sail. I suggest you get one now. You still have a couple of months. I tell all my clients to get one now. Also if you sail into a port and you get sick and have to fly home, you may need one.

Does anyone have any experience with their first name being spelled wrong. On my Birth Cert. my name is KathEryn but I have always used (from the time my Mom showed me how to spell my name;) ) Kathryn. I want to get a passport but I am afraid they will spell it like my Birth Certificate....wrong. I am traveling to Mexico in Jan of 05 so I don't have to have a passport.

My main fear is no matter what I will have trouble...the only thing I have with my name KathEryn is my birth certificate (any passport I get will be have the same spelling). So all of my ID's (DL, SS card Credit Cards etc) and my reservation is made under Kathryn...I am not sure what to do....:confused:

Here's an update on my sitch (kayred, this may help you too):

I had my mom talk to an attorney she knows, and I also called the National Passport Information Center. Both said to bring documentation that I had been using my current last name for at least the last 5 years, along with my forms, birth certificate, drivers license, etc.

I went earlier today to the post office near where I work to apply. The woman at the post office told me the guy with NPIC was "wrong" and said "I don't know why that guy would tell you that." She told me none of my documentation would work. According to her, I needed to bring in a copy of my the marriage certificate from when my mom married my step-dad (which is a bit of a pain, since they're in the process of a messy divorce).

Feeling really upset, and confused, I called the NPIC (whose phone number is 1-877-487-2778 -- and all the people I dealt with were incredibly friendly and helpful). I got a different person this time, and he told me the woman at the post office was absolutely wrong, and what I had been told before was correct. He said I could go back to that woman and have her call them, and they'd "put her in her place." I decided to avoid that in case she was so upset at being made to look bad that she conveniently "lost" my application.

Shortly thereafter, I received an email from NPIC (responding to an email about the matter I sent a few days ago). It basically said that what I had was a "non-legal name change" and that I needed to submit the normal stuff, plus at least 3 pieces of supporting evidence from 5 years ago or longer that proved that I had been using this last name. Stuff like school records, paycheck stubs, a copy of the page from my high school year book with my picture and name, mortgage papers, bank statements, and all kinds of other things. (If anyone wants me to post that email, let me know)

When I took it to a different person this evening (at the City Clerk's office), she acepted it no problem. Of course, the true test is whether or not I actually receive it. But, I'm feeling much more optimistic.

Kayred, I'm sure this is what you'll need to do, too. The form has a spot for "what other names have you gone by." Put alternate spellings there. You can also request that they do an "AKA" if they say you have to put your birth spelling. That way, both spellings will be present in your passport.

Pasport is the way to go! But before we got passports, my name is different on my birth certificate because I got married ,hence, married name on my drivers license. My ss card has my maiden name but never used that for ID. This was never a problem getting on cruise ships!

I would be very careful about having the correct documentation and making sure names match up correctly. The cruise lines are getting very strict about it. I work at a port during embarkation and am seeing more and more passengers denied boarding, which is a major nightmare. Passports are by far the best form of ID to have with you when leaving the country.

Archived