36 Hours in Edinburgh

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
British Isles/Western Europe
Amsterdam, Brugge, Dublin, Edinburgh, London (Dover, Harwich, Southampton)
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:17 PM.
Edinburgh
3,113 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Originally posted by Alaskanb
My favorite restaurant in Edinburgh http://food.list.co.uk/place/21009-h...an-restaurant/

Well, it's Ok but there are lots of restaurants I'd rather go to. Each to their own!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Still to come:

P&O Ventura Caribbean and USA 5th February 2018
P&O Aurora USA and Canada 16th September 2018

P&O Ventura Bermuda, USA and Caribbean 5th February 2019
Edinburgh
10,122 Posts
Joined Aug 2004
I would say the suggestions in the article are fair, however, the timings are ambitious. I doubt you can do the castle, walk to and visit the museum and then get back to Hanover street in the times they suggest. The castle alone is a good 90 mi. to 2 hour visit usually
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
467 days onboard Celebrity and Azamara 2000-2017 and 153 more days booked
Scotland
291 Posts
Joined Oct 2011
I agree the timings are ambitious or frankly ridiculous (one hour to go to Urban Angel (very slow service) and then to the Portrait Gallery), and also think a couple of the restaurant recommendations are a bit dodgy. IMO the food is not all that good at either Urban Angel or Hendersons, seems to me like the the journalist just looked at google maps to identify a couple of places in the same location. Unfortunately, he did recommend the Dogs, one of our favourite places, now to be filled with tourists, and we will have to go only in winter. I do also like the Shore at Leith and it has great food too.
For vegetarians, the best restaurant I would say is Kalpna. David Banns is OK, but not exciting I think.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Memories only :

Oosterdam Australia & NZ Nov 2013; Thomson Celebration Eastern Med May 2013 ; Veendam South America 2012 ; Ryndam Norway 2012 ; Norwegian Epic Med 2012 ; Adonia Eastern Med 2011 ; Braemar Iceland 2009 ; QEII France 2007 ; Caronia Baltic 2006 ; Black Prince Britain France & Spain 2003 ; Royal Clipper Caribbean 2002 ; Kong Harold Hurtigruten 2001 ; Marco Polo Antarctic 1997 ; Black Prince 1996 ; Sea Princess Alaska 1995
new york
559 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Originally posted by screen-gem
The Travel section in the New York Times just published a brief article about what to see and do in Edinburgh.

36 Hours in Edinburgh
http://travel.nytimes.com/2013/07/14...edinburgh.html

Thanks for posting this link!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Celebrity Summit San Juan to Bayonne 4/22/17
Celebrity Millennium Hong Kong to Shanghai 3/18/18
Coral Princess Panama Canal 2/15/19