Taking alcohol on board

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:17 AM.
3,947 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by Florry
Maybe that's when all the loyalty changes will kick in, and perhaps drinks packages will be introduced. I was told at the end if last year they would happen after the worldies - I just never reckoned on 2018 If Dai's info is right there may be an announcement in Nov.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Lets see if the speculation comes true in November or whenever.
Royal Carribbean are making a big deal about their free drinks packages at the moment but they have raised their prices a lot to cover this so you are paying for it whether you drink a little or a lot.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app
Solihull
2,087 Posts
Joined Sep 2013
Originally posted by grapau27
Lets see if the speculation comes true in November or whenever.
Royal Carribbean are making a big deal about their free drinks packages at the moment but they have raised their prices a lot to cover this so you are paying for it whether you drink a little or a lot.

Yes it's all about marketing.

821 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
''Hi Howard, we are sorry for any confusion this may have caused however at present we have no plans to change this''

This is the official answer I got from P&O today when I asked if they were going to change their policy regarding taking drinks onboard. Basically Florry, the official response does not tally with your assertion.
Teignmouth
257 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Originally posted by wowzz
''Hi Howard, we are sorry for any confusion this may have caused however at present we have no plans to change this''

This is the official answer I got from P&O today when I asked if they were going to change their policy regarding taking drinks onboard. Basically Florry, the official response does not tally with your assertion.
Surely that is the only answer they can give you.
Even if they are planning to make a statement at a later date they must stick with the situation 'at present'.
Solihull
2,087 Posts
Joined Sep 2013
Originally posted by jake 26
Surely that is the only answer they can give you.

Even if they are planning to make a statement at a later date they must stick with the situation 'at present'.

Exactly.

I don't know whether they will stop alcohol being taken on board and it's just speculation as to whether they introduce a drinks package and potentially align it to the launch of the new Loyalty benefits.

What we do know is that P&O are changing the loyalty benefits.

Batehaven, Australia
9,309 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
In my view, Carnival Corporation is looking to reach higher alcohol sales targets on board their P&O UK ships and stop pax binging their own booze on or restricting it to one bottle of wine or champers pp at embarkation only, not at ports of call. Like Princess does, with $15 corkage on each excess bottle.

P&O Australia does not permit any booze to be brought on board.

I believe this is the way it is going to be for all Carnival brands.

Having done a few cruises with P&O UK now, we do like the fact that we can bring a few wines on, but we still purchase a bottle of wine each night in the MDR.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cheers..(Uncle) LES

Cruised with Princess, Celebrity, Cunard, P&O Australia, P&O UK, Carnival, Sitmar, Sydney Harbour Ferries. World Cruise, plus British Isles, Europe, Med, Greek Isles, Transatlantic, Asia, USA, Panama Canal, South America, Central America, Caribbean, Alaska, Canada, Japan, South Pacific, Australia, New Zealand.!

**Last cruise: Queen Mary 2 - Sydney - HK, 16 nights, 2 - 18 March 2017.

**Future Cruises**:

Sapphire Princess - 26 May 2018, Scandinavia, ex Southampton - 7 nights.

Adonia: - 3 June 2018, France, Spain & Portugal, ex Southampton - 16 nights
B2B with..
Adonia: - 19 June 2018, Ireland, North Cape, Scandinavia, ex Southampton - 18 nights.

'Adventure before Dementia - Live for Today !!'
3,947 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by NSWP
In my view, Carnival Corporation is looking to reach higher alcohol sales targets on board their P&O UK ships and stop pax binging their own booze on or restricting it to one bottle of wine or champers pp at embarkation only, not at ports of call. Like Princess does, with $15 corkage on each excess bottle.

P&O Australia does not permit any booze to be brought on board.

I believe this is the way it is going to be for all Carnival brands.

Having done a few cruises with P&O UK now, we do like the fact that we can bring a few wines on, but we still purchase a bottle of wine each night in the MDR.
Spot on comments.
P&O have been very amenable to people letting them bring lots of alcohol on board and people have taken massive advantage.
P&O bar prices have always been reasonable and my only concern is they will hike their bar prices if they have a captive audience and a monopoly on price like RC where you are allowed only 1 bottle of wine at embarkation.

46 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Originally posted by peteukmcr
I don't need to justify a package. And if you want real I'll produce my receipts from drinking in Manchester. Do you live in Manchester and drink in the city centre?

I'm referring to visiting bars that provide the same level of comfort and style akin to that found on a Celebrity cruise ship, not the local pub. so I would spend that in Manchester, believe me and so I stand by my report that £58 a day for 2 people is not unrealistic when comparing land based prices.

Remember I said that that amount can include non alcoholic and alcoholic drinks too. People seem to forget the amount that they spend on soft drinks, the price of those in a bar are pure rip off on land. That's how bars make money. Go for breakfast at a well known pub chain, the breakfast costs £4.95 each but the total bill for 2 is in excess of £17 due to 2 coffees and orange juices. Now that is obscene. So I will continue to justify a package thank you and get 'real'
I'm in the South but have visited London. Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds and Liverpool in the last year or so.

Where do you pay £4.95 for a can of beer .....complete nonsense unless of course its your hotel bar yet you can pay £1.99 around the corner..

Different people have different budgets but you seem quite removed from reality if you think £58 a day on drinks is justified.....Do you just sit in your 4 star hotel and pay their prices or pop out to the real world where most people live when visiting a City.

You are a captive audience on a ship. P&O accept this so allow people to bring drinks on board but suggesting 2 weeks in Manchester is comparible to 2 weeks on a ship is laughable.
3,947 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by doog442
I'm in the South but have visited London. Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds and Liverpool in the last year or so.

Where do you pay £4.95 for a can of beer .....complete nonsense unless of course its your hotel bar yet you can pay £1.99 around the corner..

Different people have different budgets but you seem quite removed from reality if you think £58 a day on drinks is justified.....Do you just sit in your 4 star hotel and pay their prices or pop out to the real world where most people live when visiting a City.

You are a captive audience on a ship. P&O accept this so allow people to bring drinks on board but suggesting 2 weeks in Manchester is comparible to 2 weeks on a ship is laughable.
I don't frequent city centre pubs in Sunderland or Newcastle but the bottled Peroni in restaurants is regularly around the £4 mark.

46 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
I don't frequent city centre pubs in Sunderland or Newcastle but the bottled Peroni in restaurants is regularly around the £4 mark.

Peroni is competitive without a doubt , but lets be honest its still a luxury pint .
Solihull
2,087 Posts
Joined Sep 2013

We never usually go into pubs but at the weekend we were early for the cinema, I had a white wine and my husband had half a beer and it was £9.50! That's just local prices, you could probably double it in London.

Solihull
2,087 Posts
Joined Sep 2013

We never usually go into pubs but at the weekend we were early for the cinema, I had a white wine and my husband had half a beer and it was £9.50! That's just local prices, you could probably double it in London.

Batehaven, Australia
9,309 Posts
Joined Mar 2006

About the same in Sydney, 7 or 8 dollars or so.

I think wines are overpriced in UK pubs, even a glass of ordinary plonk, probably from a bulk container is 6 quid or AUD$10. I can buy a decent glass of wine at my golf club for $4, what is that in sterling 2 pound and 40 pence?

On the P&O UK ships we stick to the house wine - Olly Smith, quite drinkable and not too expensive.

We were on QM2 in March, Sydney to HK, wine prices way over the top.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cheers..(Uncle) LES

Cruised with Princess, Celebrity, Cunard, P&O Australia, P&O UK, Carnival, Sitmar, Sydney Harbour Ferries. World Cruise, plus British Isles, Europe, Med, Greek Isles, Transatlantic, Asia, USA, Panama Canal, South America, Central America, Caribbean, Alaska, Canada, Japan, South Pacific, Australia, New Zealand.!

**Future Cruises**:

B2B with..
Adonia: - 19 June 2018, Ireland, North Cape, Scandinavia, ex Southampton - 18 nights.

Batehaven, Australia
9,309 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by Florry

Most of that 9 pound and 50 pence was probably on the glass of wine, which was probably from a 'bag in the box' under the counter.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cheers..(Uncle) LES

**Future Cruises**:

B2B with..

essex uk and calabria italy
692 Posts
Joined Sep 2012

Hi,2 euro here in restaurants and 60 cents in stores,cheers,Brian.
Batehaven, Australia
9,309 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by brian1
Hi,2 euro here in restaurants and 60 cents in stores,cheers,Brian.
Are those prices in Essex or Calabri, Brian ? I suspect the latter.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cheers..(Uncle) LES

**Future Cruises**:

B2B with..

Scotland
630 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
P&O drinks prices are more than anything I pay locally but they are not too bad when compared with prices in say Edinburgh at a decent venue.

Locally you can get a standard pint for around £3 and a good pint of real ale or a fancier beer/ lager for £4- £4.50

The AI packages on RCI and Celebrity are expensive and not really worth it if you are a moderate drinker, even if they are included in your package it still adds to the price. Some of the Thomson ships are also now doing AI in the package price which makes the initial costs a lot more. I hope P&O does not go in this direction.

Fred Olsen do a separate package for £15 pppn which is about right as a couple of drinks and a couple of soft drinks a day and it pays for itself.

Who knows what P&O may or may not decide to do but the old saying if it ain't broke don't fix it comes to mind.
Surrey
178 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
I live in what is supposed to be the most expensive area for beer outside London, Surrey.
At present I pay between £ 3.70 and £ 4.50 a pint of real ale in most pubs.
P&Os prices compare very well with this.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
brillo
sailed on,
2005 Ocean Village Caribbean
2006 Ocean Village Caribbean
2007 Ocean Village 2 Mediterranean
2008 Ocean Village Caribbean
2008 Ocean Village Mediterranean
2009 PO Ventura Mediterranean
2009 Emerald Princess Caribbean
2014 PO Ventura Caribbean
2014 PO Adonia Norway
2015 PO Ventura Caribbean
2015 PO Azura Mediterranean
2016 PO Adonia Caribbean and Amazon
2016 PO Britannia Norway
2016 PO Britannia Christmas Caribbean
essex uk and calabria italy
692 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Originally posted by NSWP
Are those prices in Essex or Calabri, Brian ? I suspect the latter.
Hi,yes,Calabria.I must admit we are in the deep south and things are cheaper here.Cheers,Brian.
Birmingham uk
21 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
Originally posted by kersh
I am quite happy to purchase a bottle of gin from room service as long as can still bring my own tonic on board. That Britvic tonic they sell is in my opinion, disgusting and ruins a decent gin.
Absolutely - is there no Fever tree at least on board???? - now that should allow me to cancel the cruise - surely being made to drink britvic tonic counts as cruel and unusual

Mind you we went on the Oasis a few years ago - took a bottle of wine and small bottle of JD on - we had the drinks package and took off the wine and JD when we disembarked. But I agree - drinks packages do encourage you to drink more.

At the end of the day though you cant really do anything about it except vote with your feet for the next cruise if any issues about a booked P&O cruise bother you (although I stand by my comments on Britvic tonic)