Can we really dress up on formal nights?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:53 AM.
Richmond, Virginia
2,461 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Originally posted by Esprit
Don't you just love a smart arse!
Better than a dumb one. Or an obstinate one.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Lifetime member of the Goat Locker
24 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
I know people who hide on cruise formal nights because they hate them so much, but to me, it's one of the most fun parts! I love looking at all the people in fancy attire. If the food on Cunard was as good as Princess, we'd sail them more often because you're a pariah if you don't look smart on their ships. (But sadly, we left the tux at home on our Brit Isles cruise based on the official Princess formal dress code.)

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Kent, UK
1,849 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
Originally posted by Potstech
Better than a dumb one. Or an obstinate one.
When I said "Don't you like a smart arse" I was referring to observing someone's rear in smart/formal clothes.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Chandris Cruises - Fiorita 1970
P&O Cruises - Arcadia 2001
- Oceana 2003
- Oceana 2005
- Britannia 2015
Princess Cruises - Grand Princess 2006
- Emerald Princess 2007
- Emerald Princess 2008
- Emerald Princess 2010
- Island Princess 2012
- Emerald Princess 2014
- Royal Princess 2016
- Crown Princess 2017
Royal Caribbean - Independence of the Seas 2009
Celebrity Cruises - Constellation 2010
- Solstice 2011
- Reflection 2013
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
5,403 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by elfinmagic
i don't think so!!!
Oh no! Don't tell me you cancelled on my account.
I thought we could share a table for 4 on formal night & discuss the dress policy in a civil manner.

Originally posted by PatriciaMay
I know people who hide on cruise formal nights because they hate them so much, but to me, it's one of the most fun parts! I love looking at all the people in fancy attire. If the food on Cunard was as good as Princess, we'd sail them more often because you're a pariah if you don't look smart on their ships. (But sadly, we left the tux at home on our Brit Isles cruise based on the official Princess formal dress code.)

Dressing up on Princess is something most people look forward to and as long as you don't intimidate others to do likewise everyone can sail in peace & enjoy themselves.
Unfortunately not everyone sees it that way.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
s600/781/67/85
15 - 25 - 30
Richmond, Virginia
2,461 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Originally posted by Esprit
When I said "Don't you like a smart arse" I was referring to observing someone's rear in smart/formal clothes.
And others can interpret it differently. Your point of reference may differ greatly from others. Why are you concentrating on peoples rear anyway?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Nottingham, UK
134 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
Dress up if you enjoy it, don't if you don't, everyone should do what makes them happy as long as they don't try to impose their way of doing things on other cruisers. I've read postings where dresser-uppers obviously place themselves above those that aren't as formally attired but some are there to explore the world (we're doing Alaska) rather than to display a aura of wealth. Some would prefer their budget went on excursions, rather than on formal wear they are unlikely to wear again and those of us flying in from overseas simply can't waste the luggage weight on anything impractical. We've got walking boots, warm layers and waterproofs to cram in!! Do what makes you happy!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Forums mobile app
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
5,403 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by BunnieBear
Dress up if you enjoy it, don't if you don't, everyone should do what makes them happy as long as they don't try to impose their way of doing things on other cruisers. I've read postings where dresser-uppers obviously place themselves above those that aren't as formally attired but some are there to explore the world (we're doing Alaska) rather than to display a aura of wealth. Some would prefer their budget went on excursions, rather than on formal wear they are unlikely to wear again and those of us flying in from overseas simply can't waste the luggage weight on anything impractical. We've got walking boots, warm layers and waterproofs to cram in!! Do what makes you happy!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Forums mobile app
Obviously you are limited to the things that are important, not some formal clothing which you'll use only a few times (for the enjoyment of others).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
s600/781/67/85
15 - 25 - 30
Nottingham, UK
134 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
Originally posted by floridalover5623
Obviously you are limited to the things that are important, not some formal clothing which you'll use only a few times (for the enjoyment of others).
Just giggling at the idea of hiking across a glacier in my stillettos and a fur stole... ;-)
Bowie, Maryland (suburb of Washington, DC)
5,869 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
Go to Cunard. Some of their cruises are not that expensive or if on sale. There is a ballroom with dancing to orchestra or strings. Dress is required every night. (suit for men. equivalent for ladies). Definitely you would find the atmosphere you desire. Life has gotten much less formal on most cruise lines and lots of folks like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Barbara and Walter
Bowie, Md.

2017 Oceania Insignia Singapore to Abu Dhabi Navigator of the Seas Miami & Nassau 2016 Rotterdam Viking Passage Rotterdam to Boston 2015 Independence of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Azamara Quest Bali to Osaka 2014 Insignia Mayan Mystic Oceanic Discoverer New Zealand South Island 2013 Disney Dream 2012 Diamond Princess The Orient route Star Princess Cape Horn Route SA 2011M/V Evolution Galapagos Islands 2011 Uniworld River Duchess Tulips/windmills;2010 Crown Princess Canada/New England;2010 Coral Princess Panama Canal;2009 Oceania Nautica Greece and Turkey;2008 Cunard QM2 Southern Caribbean;2008 Celebrity Constellation Iberia & TA;2007 Majestic American Queen of West Columbia River 2006 Princess Star Princess Baltic;2004 Princess Tahitian Princess South Pacific;2003 Viking River Cruises Clara Schumann Elbe R;2002 Coral Princess (Aust) Coral Princess2 Reef;2001 Princess Royal Princess Norwegian Fjords;2000 Jungle Expeditions La Turmalina Amazon R;1999 Disney Magic Bahamas;1998 RCCL Enchantment of Seas Western Carib.;1996 Princess Star Princess (old) Alaska;1994 RCCL Monarch of the Seas Southern Carib;1990 RCCL Nordic Prince Bermuda;1987 RCCL Sun Viking Eastern Carib.
24 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
Originally posted by Bowie MeMe
Go to Cunard. Some of their cruises are not that expensive or if on sale. There is a ballroom with dancing to orchestra or strings. Dress is required every night. (suit for men. equivalent for ladies). Definitely you would find the atmosphere you desire. Life has gotten much less formal on most cruise lines and lots of folks like that.
Yes, a lot of Cunard's cruises are comparable to Princess right this moment! We were torn between doing a Mediterranean cruise on Cunard vs. Princess, each costing basically the same, and we went with Princess. We love to dress up, but we like good excursions and lots of time ashore, too, and we found that Princess is better for those things. And Princess has better food for us. We're not bothered by people in cargo shorts on formal nights, but it is always kind of funny seeing THAT CARGO SHORTS DUDE next to a gentleman dressed to the nines.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Vancouver, BC
17,683 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
Not whiners Colo - they are liberals who honestly believe that if they tell an untruth enough times it will become the truth. We have early dining and are through before the rest leave - I have seen more than 90% in tuxes or dark suits - now about you?
Utter Codswallop. Never, in my 11 cruises on Princess have I seen 90% in tuxes or dark suits.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Coming next
September 2017..Solstice Vancouver to Hawaii
November 2017...Queensland Land Trip
April 2018...Kauai Land Trip
September 2018...Santorini & Crete land trip

Crete Land Trip 2017/Australia Land Trip - Celebrity Constellation - Greek Isles 2016/Hawaii Land Trip 2015/Christmas and New Years in Hawaii/European Christmas Markets - Land Trip/Hawaii - VCR Celebrity Solstice 2014/Paris Land Trip/Hawaii Land Trip X 2 - 2013/Grand Med. - Ruby Princess/South of France 2012/Hawaii - Land Trip 2012/Hawaii - Land Trip - 2011/Panama Canal and Florida Keys - Coral Princess - 2011/Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - 2010/France 3 Week Land Trip - Burgundy/Loire/Normandy/French Riviera/Provence 2010/Mexican Riviera - Sapphire Princess 2009/Coastal - Sapphire Princess 2009/Alaska - Voyage of the Glaciers - Zuiderdam - 2009/Greek Islands cruise + Monaco and Paris by land - Grand Princess - 2008/Land Trip - Maui - 2008/3 Week Land - Paris to Rome - 2007/Hawaii - Pride of America - 2007/14 Day Caribbean - Sea Princess - 2006/Coastal - Dawn Princess - 2006/Barcelona to Venice - Millennium - 2005/UK & Ireland - Land Trip - 2004/AI Mexican Riviera -2003/Coastal - Island Princess - 2002/Maui - Land Trip x 2/Alaska - Dawn Princess - 2001/UK Land Trip x 3/11 Day Circle the Caribbean - Splendour of the Seas - 2000/Mexican Riviera - Rhapsody of the Seas - 1999/2 Week Land Bermuda - Girls Trip - 1997/Married - Maui - 1997
Interlochen, Michigan (NW Lower MI)
237 Posts
Joined Dec 2014
Originally posted by Cruise Junky
Utter Codswallop. Never, in my 11 cruises on Princess have I seen 90% in tuxes or dark suits.

I think it may depend on the itinerary. I've cruised Princess 9 times; Hawaii, Mexico, Panama Canal; I agree with 90%, especially Hawaii and the Canal. Most ladies quit wearing beaded gowns due to the gowns' weight during travel. But for goodness sake, everyone should dress how they want. Many people who don't like to dress go to Horizon or a Specialty Restaurant on Formal nights. They do what THEY want. Peace out.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Richmond, Virginia
2,461 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
You must not have taken the same cruises he has. It is one of his repetitive postings to try and convince all others to dress to make him happy. Never going to work but he keeps on repeating.
Will be in Vancouver in November for a week enjoying you city. Not bringing a suit for that either.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
289 Posts
Joined Apr 2017
48 cruises - 500 plus days and I have observed at least 90% in tuxes or suits
4,006 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Sounds like conclusive evidence to me with that many cruises your answer is correct.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app
Vancouver, BC
17,683 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
Maybe instead of counting tuxes and dark suits you should have spent it figuring out how to work a slot machine. You even state "Several Years Ago" so it seems like you had quite the gap in between Princess cruises. Things change. It's not 1980 anymore. I have never seen 90% compliance with "Formal". An attempt? Maybe but that's not what you said. You definitively stated Tuxes and dark suits.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Coming next
September 2017..Solstice Vancouver to Hawaii
November 2017...Queensland Land Trip
April 2018...Kauai Land Trip
September 2018...Santorini & Crete land trip

Crete Land Trip 2017/Australia Land Trip - Celebrity Constellation - Greek Isles 2016/Hawaii Land Trip 2015/Christmas and New Years in Hawaii/European Christmas Markets - Land Trip/Hawaii - VCR Celebrity Solstice 2014/Paris Land Trip/Hawaii Land Trip X 2 - 2013/Grand Med. - Ruby Princess/South of France 2012/Hawaii - Land Trip 2012/Hawaii - Land Trip - 2011/Panama Canal and Florida Keys - Coral Princess - 2011/Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - 2010/France 3 Week Land Trip - Burgundy/Loire/Normandy/French Riviera/Provence 2010/Mexican Riviera - Sapphire Princess 2009/Coastal - Sapphire Princess 2009/Alaska - Voyage of the Glaciers - Zuiderdam - 2009/Greek Islands cruise + Monaco and Paris by land - Grand Princess - 2008/Land Trip - Maui - 2008/3 Week Land - Paris to Rome - 2007/Hawaii - Pride of America - 2007/14 Day Caribbean - Sea Princess - 2006/Coastal - Dawn Princess - 2006/Barcelona to Venice - Millennium - 2005/UK & Ireland - Land Trip - 2004/AI Mexican Riviera -2003/Coastal - Island Princess - 2002/Maui - Land Trip x 2/Alaska - Dawn Princess - 2001/UK Land Trip x 3/11 Day Circle the Caribbean - Splendour of the Seas - 2000/Mexican Riviera - Rhapsody of the Seas - 1999/2 Week Land Bermuda - Girls Trip - 1997/Married - Maui - 1997
289 Posts
Joined Apr 2017
Maybe instead of counting tuxes and dark suits you should have spent it figuring out how to work a slot machine. You even state "Several Years Ago" so it seems like you had quite the gap in between Princess cruises. Things change. It's not 1980 anymore. I have never seen 90% compliance with "Formal". An attempt? Maybe but that's not what you said. You definitively stated Tuxes and dark suits.
48 cruises - 500 days - on every ship Princess has or had - everywhere except Africa - don't play the slots - you apparently count dressed down - I count formal dressed - all since 1996. most ships have 3 MDRs with two seatings. we only attend one - you must go to all six if your count is more accurate than mine - bye for now - have a mediocre evening.

Several is more than two