Royal Princess- Lack of a Walkable Promenade Deck

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:37 PM.
Chicago
1,926 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by Coral
The OP shouldn't need to spend $3K plus to get on a ship to find out a feature they don't like isn't there when they know ahead of time that it isn't there.

IMO - walking on a treadmill is not the same as walking on a Promenade deck. I can walk on a treadmill back home.
Well said, Coral. Thanks for your succinct and timely posting. Excellent, as always.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My Princess ships:

(The original) Sun Princess
(The original) Island Princess
(The original) Royal Princess x4
(The original) Star Princess x2
(The original) Crown Princess
Dawn Princess
Sun Princess x3
Star Princess x3
Diamond Princess x2
Sapphire Princess x5
Golden Princess
Grand Princess x3
Ruby Princess x2
Emerald Princess
SAN FRANCISCO, CA.
14 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
I agree completely. Is it a given that the older ships have wider-better promenade decks? Was just on crown p., and deck is quite narrow, with only
sit-up chairs, no relaxing horizontal deckchairs. Crown p. Does take you up one deck at front of ship when doing promenade.
Mille grazie, for your comments, as this will surely influence any decisions about these newly designed ships,,,,but who listens to us, when designing for maximum passengers and profits???
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sydney
165 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
So now the promenade deck is virtually nonexistent on the premium new builds. HAL, Princess and Celebrity. Such a shame as the premium cruiser is the one who appreciates them the most. Hopefully they will be re-introduced in future new builds.

It’s a shame the premium brands haven’t explored revenue opportunities with this space instead of losing them altogether. I.e. who wouldn’t mind specialty dining (Sabatini’s, Afredos or Share) with alfresco seating. Or a rear bar on level 7 opening out onto the wrap around promenade. I would pay a premium for a Lenai room (currently offered on HAL). In fact I would prefer it than a tiny balcony.

If they put a little thought into it. I'm sure they could come up with a balance which suits the passengers need and the corporate requirement of revenue opportunities. The main stream lines have already ticked that box.
Florida
488 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
I did a cruise on the Royal without the promenade deck and won't do another one. This is part of my cruise experience, walking as close to the water as possible, counting the flying fish, seeing an occasional dolphin. That makes me feel like I am on a ship and on vacation. It is a zen experience for me. I have been running competitively (well, much slower as I aged but so is my everyone else in the 60+ age group) for over 55 years and I HATE 'dreadmills'. I can go an hour on the promenade and feel relaxed but after 5 minutes on the treadmill I can't get my eyes off the panel and those seconds never tick by. Everyone is different and want different things out of their cruises. No promenade is a deal breaker for me. PS. If you are listening Princess, it doesn't have to be a full circle. I will settle for a 3/4 deck like the Emerald where I have to climb stairs or turn around.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Heather

Denver, CO
1,507 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Our first experience with the truncated promenade deck was on the Celebrity Eclipse so Royal wasn't a big shocker to us when we cruised her last year. I used the walking track on the upper deck and it worked well for me, but I did go earlier to avoid major sun-issues. Deal-breakers come in many forms for people and its understandable that someone would not book if a favorite amenity is missing, though personally I focus on the itinerary and enjoy whatever the ship offers 'cause it's a CRUISE!
United States
75 Posts
Joined Oct 2015
We were on the Regal two years ago and the lack of a full promenade really confused us. We missed it. Tried walking the sports track but it wasn't the same and it was windy up there.

To the OP- I hope you find something that suites you. Personally, I'd do a Grand Class cruise just to secure your Elite status. I'll bet you enjoy it so much that you'll be booking another before you know it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2016~Regal Princess
2014~Royal Princess
2009~Norwegian Pearl
2008~Norwegian Sun
2007~Star Princess
2006~Caribbean Princess
2005~Norwegian Spirit
2004~Grand Princess
Michigan
155 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
I agree with those who want a promenade deck. One of my favorite parts of cruising is being near the water and it is just not the same on the upper levels. Besides being open to the elements, it seems so much farther from the water. I'm not sure it is a deal breaker for me, depending on the itinerary, but it's pretty close.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Song of America, 1990
Nordic Empress, 1995
Grandeur of the Seas, 2000
Radiance of the Seas, 2005
Majesty of the Seas, 2006
Enchantment of the Seas, 2007
Norwegian Majesty,2009
Enchantment of the Seas, 2011
Star Princess, 2013 ALASKA!
Norwegian Jade, 2015 EUROPE!
Star Princess, August 2016 ALASKA #2!
COLORADO
59,492 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Originally posted by Chris86
So now the promenade deck is virtually nonexistent on the premium new builds. HAL, Princess and Celebrity. Such a shame as the premium cruiser is the one who appreciates them the most. Hopefully they will be re-introduced in future new builds.

It’s a shame the premium brands haven’t explored revenue opportunities with this space instead of losing them altogether. I.e. who wouldn’t mind specialty dining (Sabatini’s, Afredos or Share) with alfresco seating. Or a rear bar on level 7 opening out onto the wrap around promenade. I would pay a premium for a Lenai room (currently offered on HAL). In fact I would prefer it than a tiny balcony.

If they put a little thought into it. I'm sure they could come up with a balance which suits the passengers need and the corporate requirement of revenue opportunities. The main stream lines have already ticked that box.
Its not about the passenger anymore, its about the $$$.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Keith
Princess Elite Member
57 Princess Cruises

USNS HARKNESS T-AGS 32

Adelaide, Australia
597 Posts
Joined May 2013
Originally posted by RNRcruisers
I agree with those who want a promenade deck. One of my favorite parts of cruising is being near the water and it is just not the same on the upper levels. Besides being open to the elements, it seems so much farther from the water. I'm not sure it is a deal breaker for me, depending on the itinerary, but it's pretty close.
Pretty much the same for me also...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
UpComming Cruises
Emerald Princess - Dec 16
Sapphire Princess - Dec 17
Golden Princess - Jan 18
Crystal Serenity - Sept 18
437 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by Chris86

NCL Breakaway has this with alfresco at all Specialty venues with plenty of room for walkers as well
18,240 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
Originally posted by Rbel4
An Open Posting to Princess Cruises- The lack of a walkable promenade deck on the Royal Princess will result in us cancelling our scheduled December cruise.

As background, my wife and I have been on 14 Princess Cruises over the last 20 years all over the world (Caribbean, Alaska, Europe, Australia/New Zealand, Panama, Norway and elsewhere). Regardless of our itinerary, one of the most important things to us to do on every Princess cruise was our daily exercise walks on the covered promenade deck.

I was very disappointed to learn that the Royal Princess does not have a walker friendly promenade deck for people like us. I understand that it is cut off in the front and back of the ship and is too narrow in parts to do exercise walks. For us, the jogging trail at the top of the ship does not work due to my wife's sun sensitivity plus it not being the same quiet ambience of a promenade deck.

As a result of this Royal Princess design feature, we will for the first time in years start looking at other cruise lines. We may continuing to go on some of the older Princess Ships, but that fleet is aging. Our hearts are broken over this as we were one cruise away from Elite Status. We were looking forward to the other innovations of the Royal Princess class of ships. However, for us, this promenade issue is a deal breaker as it is a very important part of our cruise we thought would never be taken away.
You have got to be kidding . Try the gym.
Redondo Beach
236 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
I am one of those that makes my daily walk around the promenade deck an important part of my cruise experience. I love the wildlife sightings, the fresh air and the occasional pleasant greeting from fellow passengers to help set the tone for my day and I look forward to this. The upper walking deck is not an option because I burn so easily. (On some ships it's kind of stinky from the exhaust , too, depending on the location.) To the folks who flippantly suggest the gym or treadmill, it just isn't that easy for me in particular. I'm not sure how the gym ceiling is on the Royal, but in all the other ships my head hits the ceiling when I use the treadmill and elliptical. So, no, some of us aren't kidding. The promenade deck really is the only option for my daily walk. We all have things that are important to us and I'm glad that I'm not the only one who feels this way. I would not book a cruise on the Royal or Regal unless it was a port intensive itinerary in places I am just dying to go.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Cindy Lou Who-gan
Sydney
165 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Originally posted by MrMan
NCL Breakaway has this with alfresco at all Specialty venues with plenty of room for walkers as well
This is a excellent solution. The speciality venues are usually only used in the evening also. Leaving this space to be used in a traditional sense during the day
League City, TX
39,995 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by Rbel4
An Open Posting to Princess Cruises- The lack of a walkable promenade deck on the Royal Princess will result in us cancelling our scheduled December cruise.
I suggest sending a letter to Princess expressing your feelings.
League City, TX
39,995 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by bigjer
Have you considered using the treadmills?
Originally posted by long cruiser
I second the treadmill idea.
long cruiser
Surely you do not consider using an indoor treadmill as being as good as a walk in the ocean air during which you can talk to your walking companion. without shouting (and disturbing others).
Vancouver, BC
61 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
I'm new to cruising but I never would have guessed that a full promenade was a big issue for people.

My first cruise was on the Royal last fall and lack of a promenade didn't even register; there was so much else to do.

But, in reading through this thread, I suspect some of you longtime cruisers have put many days into ships that didn't have as many bells and whistles as the newer ships and had to, what's the term... socialize?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
SF Bay Area
2,527 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
Originally posted by 24639
I am one of those that makes my daily walk around the promenade deck an important part of my cruise experience. I love the wildlife sightings, the fresh air and the occasional pleasant greeting from fellow passengers to help set the tone for my day and I look forward to this. The upper walking deck is not an option because I burn so easily. (On some ships it's kind of stinky from the exhaust , too, depending on the location.) To the folks who flippantly suggest the gym or treadmill, it just isn't that easy for me in particular. I'm not sure how the gym ceiling is on the Royal, but in all the other ships my head hits the ceiling when I use the treadmill and elliptical. So, no, some of us aren't kidding. The promenade deck really is the only option for my daily walk. We all have things that are important to us and I'm glad that I'm not the only one who feels this way. I would not book a cruise on the Royal or Regal unless it was a port intensive itinerary in places I am just dying to go.
My husband has the same problem. However, we did discover that on the Grand there was one elliptical that had a tile over it that was obviously damaged by one cruiser. The dent in it was exactly the extra 1/2 inch that my husband needed to clear the ceiling. Of course, he would always have to wait for that one particular elliptical if someone else was using it. We will be on the Royal later this year and will miss the promenade that we are used to on all the Grand Class ships we've sailed on but it's pretty port-intensive so it won't be that much of a loss.
Sydney
165 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Originally posted by CrowCaw
I'm new to cruising but I never would have guessed that a full promenade was a big issue for people.

My first cruise was on the Royal last fall and lack of a promenade didn't even register; there was so much else to do.

But, in reading through this thread, I suspect some of you longtime cruisers have put many days into ships that didn't have as many bells and whistles as the newer ships and had to, what's the term... socialize?
Not really I'm only 29. Most of the ships have had the current bells and whistles. I've seen young and old enjoying the promenade.