Can we really dress up on formal nights?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:27 PM.
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
5,438 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by Kat19702
My husband and I are hoping to dress up as in formal gown and tuxedo. It seems most of the cruise lines are very lax and most people prefer casual wear to the extreme that even jeans are acceptable on chic or formal nights. Can we dress up and not feel out of place on a Princess cruise? If so, which ship is best for this?
You can dress as formally as you like and not feel out of place but Princess also allows those people that don't wish to follow the formalists choice to dress down quite a bit & still eat in their dining rooms on formal evenings.
The choice is yours.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
s600/781/67/85
15 - 25 - 30
Lincoln, Delaware
1,566 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Originally posted by SailinC2C
We always do tux and gown. Dressing up for dinner is one of the reasons we love to cruise!

That's one thing I love about cruising also, getting all dressed up.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Legand - 9/21/17 - Hawaii to Australia
Carnival Valor - 1/25/15 - Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze - 1/18/14 - Southern Caribbean
Carnival Ecstasy - 1/13/14 - Western Caribbean
Celebrity Century - 4/3/13 - Hawaii
RCCL Explorer of the Seas - 10/28/12 - Bermuda
Carnival Spirit - 4/8/12 - Cabo San Lucas
Carnival Liberty - 1/6/12 - Eastern Caribbean
Celebrity Millennium - 6/18/11 - Alaska
MSC Poesia - 1/9/11 - Eastern Caribbean
Celebrity Solstice 9/12/10 - Western Caribbean
Carnival Dream 11/23/09 - Bahamas
Carnival Spirit 4/23/09 - Hawaii

San Antonio spaceship earth
7,141 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Originally posted by Krozulo
Thanks for asking this question! Our first cruise is 10 months away and I am looking forward to dressing up (I bought a tux for the cruise even). But with allll the other threads about formal nights, I was worried that I would feel out of place. It sounds like it'll be just fine. I know there are the people who say wear what you want, don't let how other people dress affect your enjoyment. But if I'm the only person in a tux in a room of casual, I'll feel out of place. It's like being invited to a party but the practical joker of a host tells you it's a costume party
You certainly will not be alone but will be in the minority. So dress up as much as you want and enjoy your cruise. I was a bit surprised about the comments of seeing formal dress in the HC. I was on one cruise and knew this couple who dressed formal, ate in their stateroom and spent the rest of the night mostly in the piano bar in their formal clothing. At that point pax were wearing everything from shorts and more. It was a caribbean cruise. Point is that they enjoyed themselves.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

RCCL: Rhapsody, 2003; Voyageur, 2008, 2009; Adventure, 2008; Navigator 2013; Mariner 2010, 2011
Holland America: Veendam, 2006
Princess: Grand 2005, 2006; Ruby 2010, 2017; Island 2011, 2013; Emerald 2012, 2015, 2018, 2019; Golden 2012, 2014, 2015; Crown 2013, 2017; Caribbean 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018; Royal 2014; Star 2014; Regal 2016
Carnival: Elation 2005; Magic 2012, 2015; Breeze 2017, 2018; Vista 2019

castigat ridendo mores
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts - Mark Twain
pennsylvania
457 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Originally posted by Kat19702
My husband and I are hoping to dress up as in formal gown and tuxedo. It seems most of the cruise lines are very lax and most people prefer casual wear to the extreme that even jeans are acceptable on chic or formal nights. Can we dress up and not feel out of place on a Princess cruise? If so, which ship is best for this?
Dress as you like. I wear a gown and put my hair up, hubby wears dress shirt and slacks (had neck cancer so not good for ties, etc....many do not think about that stuff).

Be prepared....many times in elevators we have had the groups, I think 50's or something and they do not get dressed up at all...no problem for us, but they have made comments on the way to the dining room with us and others dressed up that...is it prom...did we miss something...doesn't matter to me. Dress as you want does not affect our experience at all.
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
5,438 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by mellon1
Dress as you like. I wear a gown and put my hair up, hubby wears dress shirt and slacks (had neck cancer so not good for ties, etc....many do not think about that stuff).
I haven't worn a tie on a ship in well over 15-18 years but I also can't recall anyone ever commenting that they were refused entrance to the DR for not wearing one.

Be prepared....many times in elevators we have had the groups, I think 50's or something and they do not get dressed up at all...no problem for us, but they have made comments on the way to the dining room with us and others dressed up that...is it prom...did we miss something...doesn't matter to me. Dress as you want does not affect our experience at all.
Now that's funny.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
s600/781/67/85
15 - 25 - 30
pennsylvania
457 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Originally posted by floridalover5623
Now that's funny.
Yep, some were offended by the comments...it was a music group of the 50's on board....we were not. It is our cruise and we dress as we like. If anyone wants to make fun who cares...doesn't affect me one bit. Mom always taught us better to be overdressed than under dressed. I really don't pay attention to what others wear, doesn't affect our cruise experience at all.

So, if you want to dress up....go for it. You will look wonderful!
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
5,438 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by mellon1
Yep, some were offended by the comments...it was a music group of the 50's on board....we were not. It is our cruise and we dress as we like. If anyone wants to make fun who cares...doesn't affect me one bit. Mom always taught us better to be overdressed than under dressed. I really don't pay attention to what others wear, doesn't affect our cruise experience at all.

So, if you want to dress up....go for it. You will look wonderful!
Not me. I under-dress for everything.
Like I tell the wife, I'm old, retired and can get by with just about anything.....even needing a haircut most of the time.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
s600/781/67/85
15 - 25 - 30
North Port, Florida
299 Posts
Joined Sep 2002
LOVE LOVE dressing to the nines on formal nights... It is sooo nice to see guys in suits or tux's... and gals in long evening dresses.. or cocktail dresses also .. My DH has opted for suits now.. but has worn tux's also. in the past. I love seeing the nights with the guests dressed 'up'. Gives me a chance to even take my little beaded bags... which i love to take.. to finish off my dress etc.. I wish it would go back to where the MDR will 'lend' a jacket to those who didn't take one. We don't feel out of place at ALL.. on our last few cruises. MANY guests were dressed to the nines on formal nights.. Love to see it..
Tasmania
26 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
Just back from a Baltic cruise on the Regal.
There were a few Japanese couples who didn't have a Tux but they sure knew how to impress.
The mind boggles at the thought of carrying all that clothing half way across the world for a couple of nights.

Due to the disappointing food quality on our first night in the MDR, we didn't return and stuck to the buffet without dressing up on formal nights.
San Antonio spaceship earth
7,141 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Not me. I under-dress for everything.
Like I tell the wife, I'm old, retired and can get by with just about anything.....even needing a haircut most of the time.
Nice. I have the same attitude also being old and retired. I have never worn a tie anywhere in decades much less on a ship. Of late I have been wearing my short sleeved guayabera shirt with khaki pants on formal nights. It is so comfortable.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

RCCL: Rhapsody, 2003; Voyageur, 2008, 2009; Adventure, 2008; Navigator 2013; Mariner 2010, 2011
Holland America: Veendam, 2006
Princess: Grand 2005, 2006; Ruby 2010, 2017; Island 2011, 2013; Emerald 2012, 2015, 2018, 2019; Golden 2012, 2014, 2015; Crown 2013, 2017; Caribbean 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018; Royal 2014; Star 2014; Regal 2016
Carnival: Elation 2005; Magic 2012, 2015; Breeze 2017, 2018; Vista 2019

castigat ridendo mores
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts - Mark Twain
New Hampshire
5,532 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Originally posted by satxdiver
Nice. I have the same attitude also being old and retired. I have never worn a tie anywhere in decades much less on a ship. Of late I have been wearing my short sleeved guayabera shirt with khaki pants on formal nights. It is so comfortable.
I hear about these "Guayabera " shirts. Anyone have a pic?
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
5,438 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
I took your recommendation about a guayabera shirt a few cruises ago instead of my one old long sleeve shirt I bought 14 years ago (for cruising only) and the only regret I have now is that my wife keeps hounding me to buy another one.
One will do me for a long time since I rarely use it at home for anything.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
s600/781/67/85
15 - 25 - 30
New Hampshire
5,532 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
I took your recommendation about a guayabera shirt a few cruises ago instead of my one old long sleeve shirt I bought 14 years ago (for cruising only) and the only regret I have now is that my wife keeps hounding me to buy another one.
One will do me for a long time since I rarely use it at home for anything.
Checked them online. Quite similar to the fly fishing shirts we have up here. Obviously supremely comfy in warm climates. I do wear my shirts on the cruises during the day & on excursions. The river shirts I have hold up very well for the times we get knocked off our tubes on the river tubing excursions we do.
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
5,438 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by keithm
Checked them online. Quite similar to the fly fishing shirts we have up here. Obviously supremely comfy in warm climates. I do wear my shirts on the cruises during the day & on excursions. The river shirts I have hold up very well for the times we get knocked off our tubes on the river tubing excursions we do.
They're also very appropriate for formal nights in the DR. No heavy jacket required.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
s600/781/67/85
15 - 25 - 30
Tucson, AZ
29 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Being old and retired is no excuse for ignoring and flaunting the dress code recommendations on formal nights. If anything, you should be wiser and set an example. It would be nice for the enjoyment of my wife and I and others who have made the effort to dress up, that you show us the courtesy of eaing somewhere else other than the MDR on formal nights - there are plenty of dining options where you can dress down as much as you want. I know Princess bends its' rules quite a bit on formal nights. Either the dining room managers should enforce the dress code without fear of reprimand or being cowed by diners or Princess should eliminate formal nights altogether.
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
5,438 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by iagerm
Being old and retired is no excuse for ignoring and flaunting the dress code recommendations on formal nights. If anything, you should be wiser and set an example. It would be nice for the enjoyment of my wife and I and others who have made the effort to dress up, that you show us the courtesy of eaing somewhere else other than the MDR on formal nights - there are plenty of dining options where you can dress down as much as you want. I know Princess bends its' rules quite a bit on formal nights. Either the dining room managers should enforce the dress code without fear of reprimand or being cowed by diners or Princess should eliminate formal nights altogether.
The way saxtdiver describes dressing is well within the guidelines that Princess allows. He is not ignoring any dress code whatsoever. If the way he dresses is not what you consider appropriate then perhaps another more formal cruise line might be better suited for you.
Please review Princess's dress code examples and you'll find they have changed. Things are not as formal as they once were.
btw- I dress similarly and is it is very comfortable.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
s600/781/67/85
15 - 25 - 30
COLORADO
59,492 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Originally posted by iagerm
being old and retired is no excuse for ignoring and flaunting the dress code recommendations on formal nights. If anything, you should be wiser and set an example. It would be nice for the enjoyment of my wife and i and others who have made the effort to dress up, that you show us the courtesy of eaing somewhere else other than the mdr on formal nights - there are plenty of dining options where you can dress down as much as you want. I know princess bends its' rules quite a bit on formal nights. Either the dining room managers should enforce the dress code without fear of reprimand or being cowed by diners or princess should eliminate formal nights altogether.

+1.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Keith
Princess Elite Member
57 Princess Cruises

USNS HARKNESS T-AGS 32

New Cumberland,PA, USA
27,469 Posts
Joined May 2000
Our advice (based on more then a 1000 nights of cruise experience) is that you dress the way that pleases YOU.....and not give a hoot about others . On most Princess cruises, DW and I will "dress to the nines" on formal nights (we are talking a Tux...and formal outfits). We always have Anytime Dining....and will sometimes ask the Maitre'd (or whoever is doing the seating) to share a large table of well dressed cruisers. That always gets a smile....and often we get our wish. We really have no problem with those that prefer to not dress up....but on formal nights we enjoy being with other like-minded cruisers. Our other pet peeve is being stuck at a table with folks that enjoy playing with their Smartphones, texting, etc. When that happens, if its soon after we are seated we may quietly excuse ourselves and ask to be seated elsewhere. If it happens during the meal we will not complain, finish our meal, be polite....but Never sit with those folks again. Call me old fashioned, but we think that texting and browsing the web...while at a dinner table..is simply rude! The reality is that many folks (especially younger folks) now lack the social skills to interact with others...except via social networking. Sad!

Hank
319 Posts
Joined Apr 2017
The way saxtdiver describes dressing is well within the guidelines that Princess allows. He is not ignoring any dress code whatsoever. If the way he dresses is not what you consider appropriate then perhaps another more formal cruise line might be better suited for you.
Please review Princess's dress code examples and you'll find they have changed. Things are not as formal as they once were.
btw- I dress similarly and is it is very comfortable.
Tuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket and slax (from current answer book - nothing changed)