Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:03 PM.
32 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
Originally posted by Lanky Lad
A question is, does this have anything to do with Brexit or all of the recent problems in the med?
It's certainly interesting and it would indeed be the year of Brexit. My first thought was that with there being so many Med cruises are they looking to differentiate themselves in terms of itineraries?
828 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Originally posted by DG12345
It's certainly interesting and it would indeed be the year of Brexit. My first thought was that with there being so many Med cruises are they looking to differentiate themselves in terms of itineraries?
Yes, I think that there has been a change from Med cruises to Northern Europe cruises so as to give it a change, and no, the top priorities on the Brexit agenda have nothing or little to do with tourism.
2,176 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Originally posted by Camgirl
Oh no!

My son and his fiancee are hoping for a med cruise for their honeymoon in 2019. Looks like they may have to go to a different line.

I wonder why it is so heavily based on northern ports?
Hi Camgirl.. the med is becoming problematic for many cruise lines, along with the refugees floating around the med and the legal ramifications of having to pick them up and take them to the nearest safe port etc along with so many "no go" ports now because of security issues , Turkey, Egypt, Israel etc most cruise lines have been looking at changes for a few years but it takes a few seasons for the changed ports to work through the system.

Hopefully Cunard will look at spending more time here in the safer waters of the Pacific in the next few years..

Send your Son down here we will show them a great time!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2016 World Cruise Blog http://exitviathegiftshop.blogspot.co.nz/?view=magazine
2017 World Cruise Blog http://butarewethereyet.blogspot.co.nz
the more polished general cruise bloghttp://roscoesseafever.blogspot.co.nz
QE2 2002 Tahiti - Auckland
QM2 2004 Southhampton - New York
QE2 2006 New York - Panama - Los Angeles
QV 2008 Singapore - Southampton
QV 2010 Singapore - Southampton
QE 2011 Auckland
Pacific Pearl 2011 South Pacific Cruise
QV 2011 Venice to Rome
QV 2011 Rome to Rome
QE 2012 San Francisco - Sydney
QM2 2013 Auckland - Africa - Southampton
QV 2014 Rio to Sydney
L'Austral 2015 Auckland
QV 2015 Auckland
Qv 2016 Southampton - Southampton Full World
Qv 2017 Valparaiso to San Francisco
828 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
It seems that most of the refugees are in the Mediterranean Sea bordering Libya. Specialized ships from numerous countries are present to ensure security, the conditions are changing. The situation is complex and it takes time to change things to the better. Still I would rather visit North African countries by ship instead of using other means of transport.
The times we live in are hard all around the world, but this does not keep me away from travelling !
2,176 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Originally posted by Cats2010
It seems that most of the refugees are in the Mediterranean Sea bordering Libya. Specialized ships from numerous countries are present to ensure security, the conditions are changing. The situation is complex and it takes time to change things to the better. Still I would rather visit North African countries by ship instead of using other means of transport.
The times we live in are hard all around the world, but this does not keep me away from travelling !
A lot of the refugees are crossing to Kos in Greece and from Lybia across to Sicily and Malta, theres a map here from the BBC showing some of the routes.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-24521614

You only have to consider the ramifications of a cruise ship coming across a boat of refugees and having to stop to pick them up - deliver them to a safe port and can only leave once they have been accepted. For the cruiselines this must be a nightmare considering the effects this will have on their bottom dollar.

I can't imagine Ernie and Ethel been alt pleased if they thought they were heading off for a trip of a life time jaunt to cyprus and Rhodes and been diverted to Kos and made to stay there for a week while things were sorted.

A lot of the cruse lines have had to reconsider their protocols and security precautions several years in advance for their Itins, I think the Med has been problematic for some time, also the number of cruise ships servicing the area can't help. Its a great opportunity for us if they have to consider their usual routes as hopefully more interesting ports will come through. Alaska next year is one fantastic new one, I hope they consider stationing one of the Cunaders this side for a season in the future.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2016 World Cruise Blog http://exitviathegiftshop.blogspot.co.nz/?view=magazine
2017 World Cruise Blog http://butarewethereyet.blogspot.co.nz
the more polished general cruise bloghttp://roscoesseafever.blogspot.co.nz
QE2 2002 Tahiti - Auckland
QM2 2004 Southhampton - New York
QE2 2006 New York - Panama - Los Angeles
QV 2008 Singapore - Southampton
QV 2010 Singapore - Southampton
QE 2011 Auckland
Pacific Pearl 2011 South Pacific Cruise
QV 2011 Venice to Rome
QV 2011 Rome to Rome
QE 2012 San Francisco - Sydney
QM2 2013 Auckland - Africa - Southampton
QV 2014 Rio to Sydney
L'Austral 2015 Auckland
QV 2015 Auckland
Qv 2016 Southampton - Southampton Full World
Qv 2017 Valparaiso to San Francisco
Iowa
1,238 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Originally posted by Lynnewob
Blue Marble - am I correct in thinking that there are 3 x 10 night cruises doing a round trip from Vancouver Alaska trip or am I missing something here? It seems rather odd that they would do it 3 times.

"May 31-Jun 10 Vancouver, (Alaska), Vancouver
Jun 10-20 Vancouver, (Alaska), Vancouver
Jun 20-30 Vancouver, (Alaska), Vancouver"
Sorry, I'm a bit late getting back to you about this, but I have just returned from a road trip to see the total solar eclipse that occurred here in the US on Monday. That was an absolutely magnificent sight. But I digress.

Queen Elizabeth is not doing a traditional world voyage in 2019. Instead, she is doing what one might call a repositioning cruise in January, 2019 to start a schedule of Australia/New Zealand cruises through early April. During that time, she will be doing several round trip cruises from Australian and New Zealand ports. For example, I count a total of four round trip voyages that should be possible from Melbourne and three from Sydney.

Other ports on Queen Elizabeth's already announced schedule for early 2019 also have one or more round trip cruises, including two round trips from Yokohama, Japan in April and May before she heads across the Pacific to North America.

It looks like something similar is in the works for Vancouver during the May-June timeframe. Cunard previously announced one 10-day round trip cruise from Vancouver for May 21-31, 2019. Now I am seeing three more 10-day round trip Vancouver cruises from May 31 through June 30 for a total of four Vancouver round trips in 2019. You can see them listed as "10-day Canada" cruises under the "Find a Cruise" function here on Cruise Critic. Unfortunately they don't provide any port of call information for those cruises yet. For now, the three newly added round trips from Vancouver simply show "Cruising" for each day of the itinerary. Presumably those details will become available when Cunard officially announces the schedule in a couple more weeks.

Regards,
John
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"There’s nothing―absolutely nothing―half so much worth doing as messing about in boats." ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind In The Willows

CroisiEurope Douce France, Rhine River (2004) ... Queen Mary 2, Transatlantic (2005, 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016) ... Queen Elizabeth 2, Norwegian Wonders (2008) ... Island Princess, Panama Canal (2008) ... Queen Victoria, Gallic Getaway (2009) ... Norwegian Epic, Eastern Caribbean (2010) ... Brilliance of the Seas, Suez Canal (2011) ... Queen Elizabeth, Eastern Mediterranean (2012) ... Maasdam, Canada and New England (2013) ... Queen Mary 2, Caribbean Fiesta (2013) ... Serenade of the Seas, Baltic (2017)

West Midlands
489 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
John

Thank you for your information. I hope you enjoyed watching the eclipse. We only saw it on the news in the UK.

I'll wait with bated breath to see what is offered in Alaska when the official itineraries come out, however I probably won't book until we board QM2 on 22 Sept as it will be nice to get extra OBC. Let's hope there's some cabins left

Lynne
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2019 QE Oct Norway & Northern Lights
2017 QV Oct Adriatic & Aegean gems
2017 QM2 Sep New England & Canada
2017 Windsurf Apr Glitz & Glam in the Riviera
2016 QE Nov Canaries
2016 QV Sep Athens, Greek Isles, Albania & Venice
2016 Eclipse Apr Le Havre
2016 QE Mar Tokyo to Hong Kong (sector of World Cruise)
2015 QV Aug Istanbul & Greek Isles
2015 QE Jul Ireland, Iceland & the Faroes
2015 QE Jun Guernsey
2015 Ventura Apr Belgium
2014 QM2 Dec Christmas markets in Belgium
2014 QE Apr Dubai to S'ton (final sector World Cruise)
2013 QM2 Dec Winter Getaway
2013 QV Aug St Petersburg & Baltic Explorer
2013 QE Jun Fjords & Waterfalls
2012 QV Oct Autumn Adventure
2012 QE Aug Mediterranean Memories
2012 QM2 Jun Summer Getaway (Jubilee sailing)
2012 QV May Spring Getaway
2011 QM2 Oct Taste of France
2011 QV Aug Pearls of the Black Sea
2010 QV Jul Norwegian Fjords

2009 QM2 Nov Transatlantic
2008 QM2 Sep Transatlantic
828 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Originally posted by roscoe39
A lot of the refugees are crossing to Kos in Greece and from Lybia across to Sicily and Malta, theres a map here from the BBC showing some of the routes.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-24521614

You only have to consider the ramifications of a cruise ship coming across a boat of refugees and having to stop to pick them up - deliver them to a safe port and can only leave once they have been accepted. For the cruiselines this must be a nightmare considering the effects this will have on their bottom dollar.

I can't imagine Ernie and Ethel been alt pleased if they thought they were heading off for a trip of a life time jaunt to cyprus and Rhodes and been diverted to Kos and made to stay there for a week while things were sorted.

A lot of the cruse lines have had to reconsider their protocols and security precautions several years in advance for their Itins, I think the Med has been problematic for some time, also the number of cruise ships servicing the area can't help. Its a great opportunity for us if they have to consider their usual routes as hopefully more interesting ports will come through. Alaska next year is one fantastic new one, I hope they consider stationing one of the Cunaders this side for a season in the future.
It is unfortunate that many are affected by all this. However, Nato and EU have sent ships to the Med, and as far as I know Russia and others as well, so not only cruise ships are involved. At the same time, negotiations are taking place with many countries bordering the Med to secure their own internal stability. As said before, all this takes time, it is very complex.

Travelling is always connected to certain risks and everybody can decide whether or not he wants to take them. There are certain countries in this world where I never would not go. They have to see how they get along without me ....
Vale of Glamorgan
3,399 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Thanks for letting us know, are they as predicted ?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email - [email protected]

Please include your Cruise Critic user name and be patient, I do not have full time access to this mailbox and I am in a different time zone to many of you !
443 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Originally posted by Host Hattie
Thanks for letting us know, are they as predicted ?
I've not looked at all of them but so far, pretty much although June '19 isn't showing any results for QE so far.
QE certainly has some very interesting itineraries.
Vale of Glamorgan
3,399 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Thanks, I look forward to checking them out later.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Please include your Cruise Critic user name and be patient, I do not have full time access to this mailbox and I am in a different time zone to many of you !
UK
1,880 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Originally posted by Victoria2
I've not looked at all of them but so far, pretty much although June '19 isn't showing any results for QE so far.
Glad you said that. I thought it was just me who couldn't find anything for the QE
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Cruises:
2017Eastbound T/A - Cunard. 2016 Westbound T/A - Cunard: Bahamas & Florida - NCL: 2015 Eastbound T/A - Cunard: 2014 Westbound T/A - Cunard: Norway/Iceland - P&O: 2013 Canary Islands - NCL: 2011 Eastbound T/A - Cunard: 2011 Southern T/A - Celebrity: 2011 Australasia - Princess: 2009 Australia/New Zealand - Royal Caribbean: 2005 Norway - Louis Line: 2004 Alaska - Celebrity: 2000 Eastern Caribbean - Royal Caribbean
Market Harborough, UK
770 Posts
Joined Aug 2000
Originally posted by Lynnewob
Blue Marble - am I correct in thinking that there are 3 x 10 night cruises doing a round trip from Vancouver Alaska trip or am I missing something here? It seems rather odd that they would do it 3 times.

"May 31-Jun 10 Vancouver, (Alaska), Vancouver
Jun 10-20 Vancouver, (Alaska), Vancouver
Jun 20-30 Vancouver, (Alaska), Vancouver"
Fairly usual for Alaska from Vancouver - really interested to see prices to compare with the likes of Viking
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Trevor Lake
Pennsylvania
5,585 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
The US site has no itineraries past May 2019 yet.

Like others I'm interested in seeing the Alaska itineraries for QE. Probably that means they'll be priced accordingly.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past:
Queen Mary 2: 7 cruises
Queen Victoria: 2 cruises

ms Amsterdam: 1 cruise
Caribbean Princess: 1 cruise
Carnival Pride: 1 cruise
UK
92 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Originally posted by Victoria2
I downloaded the online brochure on the UK website covering March 2018 to December 2019 and for QE there are no June 2019 voyages as Victoria2 and babs135 noted. The Cruise Calendar listing for QE at the back of the brochure shows Q915 (Tokyo to Vancouver on 4 May) and then Q919F/G/H (SFO to the Fort Lauderdale/New York/Southampton on 3 Jul). There are no Vancouver departures - either the 10 day Alaska voyages or the voyage back to Southampton embarking in Vancouver. So maybe these voyages aren't being sold (at the moment) in the UK ?
UK
92 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Hi just noticed that the UK online brochure has a page mentioning the May and June 2019 Alaska voyages and inviting you to register your interest to receive details of itineraries and prices when they are available. The UK brochure give the link to register interest as www.cunard.com/alaska but this doesn't work as it should be www.cunard.co.uk/alaska
UK
1,880 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
This is so frustrating!! Does anyone know when the June itineraries for Queen Elizabeth will be out? We are particularly interested in the trip from Vancouver back to Southampton.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Cruises:
2017Eastbound T/A - Cunard. 2016 Westbound T/A - Cunard: Bahamas & Florida - NCL: 2015 Eastbound T/A - Cunard: 2014 Westbound T/A - Cunard: Norway/Iceland - P&O: 2013 Canary Islands - NCL: 2011 Eastbound T/A - Cunard: 2011 Southern T/A - Celebrity: 2011 Australasia - Princess: 2009 Australia/New Zealand - Royal Caribbean: 2005 Norway - Louis Line: 2004 Alaska - Celebrity: 2000 Eastern Caribbean - Royal Caribbean
Vale of Glamorgan
3,399 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
The San Francisco to Southampton itinerary is shown for July so the only missing section is Vancouver to San Francisco.
Looks very interesting.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature