Ocean Medallion ?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:39 PM.
Hamilton, Ontario
1,877 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Originally posted by Thrak
Something to consider. On B2B cruises the passengers must all disembark at turnaround. There is almost always one or two who think this doesn't apply to them. All passengers are stuck waiting while these folks are laboriously tracked down by staff. It can mean a delay of an hour. With the Medallion staff can quickly and easily locate these folks thereby eliminating the unreasonable wait that all the rest of the passengers previously had to endure. I think it's great.
Thrak, I hope you are right!!!!
We have done several B2B and those annoying people who just don't get that the rules apply to them, drive me crazy! If the medallion will help round them up quickly it will be a great thing. Here's hoping!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Koningsdam April 2,2017 13 days Transatlantic Ft. Lauderdale to Rome
Koningsdam October 24, 2016, 16 days, Trans-Atlantic from Rome
Nieuw Amsterdam Nov 22 2015, 21 days B2B2B Caribbean
Royal Princess Mar 29/15 10 day Southern Caribbean
Nieuw Amsterdam Nov 30 2014 14 day B2B Eastern/Western Caribbean
Regal Princess Nov 23 2014 7 day E. Caribbean
Zaandam July 11 2014 Alaska - Tracy Arm 7 day
Emerald Princess Mar. 29 2014 10 day E. Caribbean
Maasdam Dec 6 2013 - 14 day Southern Caribbean
Maasdam Apr 1 2013 Eastern Caribbean 11 day
Grand Princess - November 2012 14 day
Emerald Princess - April 2012 10 day
Westerdam -South. Caribbean, Nov. 2011, 7 day
Eurodam - East. Caribbean, October 2010 7 day
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
5,438 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Something to consider. On B2B cruises the passengers must all disembark at turnaround. There is almost always one or two who think this doesn't apply to them. All passengers are stuck waiting while these folks are laboriously tracked down by staff. It can mean a delay of an hour. With the Medallion staff can quickly and easily locate these folks thereby eliminating the unreasonable wait that all the rest of the passengers previously had to endure. I think it's great.
Lets just hope they don't try to "hide" their Medallions from being found.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
s600/781/67/85
15 - 25 - 30
Arizona
3,110 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Something to consider. On B2B cruises the passengers must all disembark at turnaround....
This is true for turnarounds in the USA but not necessarily so elsewhere.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Emerald Princess - B2B Norway and Grand Mediterranean - 2016
Ocean Princess Final Voyage - Grand South America 2016; Golden Princess - Mexican Riviera - 2015
Royal Princess - Eastern Caribbean - 2014; Ruby Princess - Canada and Colonial America - 2014;
Ocean Princess - Singapore to Dover around Africa - 2014; Dawn Princess - Australia, Indonesia and New Zealand - 2013
Sapphire Princess - Los Angeles, Hawaii, Samoa, Tahiti, Los Angeles - 2012; Golden Princess - RT from Seattle to Alaska - 2012
Diamond Princess - Singapore to YVR 2012; Emerald Princess - Caribbean 2010-2011
Coral Princess - FLL - YVR plus Alaska RT 2010; Star Princess - South America and Antarctica 2009
Costa Classica - Genoa to Venice 2008; Costa Fortuna - Caribbean 2008
Costa Atlantica - Eastern Med 2006; Norwegian Dream - Baltic 2004
Norwegian Dream - Miami to Rome 2003; Norwegian Wind - HNL to YVR 2002
Norwegian Wind - Caribbean 2001; Celebrity Zenith - Caribbean 1996
Norwegian Windward (now the Wind) - So Cal Coastal 1993; Carnival Jubilee - Mexican Riviera
Carnival Festivale - Eastern Caribbean 1988
Chico, California
9,327 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Originally posted by beg3yrs
This is true for turnarounds in the USA but not necessarily so elsewhere.
I was just trying to make the point that it could be a valuable use of crew being able to find you with the Medallion. Not all crew are actually able to find you though. It's not that wide open.

People are worried about being found on a ship. My wife and I went to a venue we have never visited before the other night. While there her phone dinged and Facebook tagged her as being there. People will have FB accounts but worry about being found by the crew on a ship in the middle of the ocean. It's kind of mind boggling. If you have a FB account you have absolutely zero privacy. The Medallion isn't going to be any "worse" than that.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Thrak

Not Elite but having fun working on it...

San Antonio spaceship earth
7,141 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Originally posted by monakayk
Thanks Everyone,

For all the helpful info. I really think this device will be great for my DH & I to keep up with each other easier on ships. I hope eventually all PCL ships will have them.
Princess is working on that. It requires a sizeable ship modification to implement the medallion however so it will take time to go on all ships.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

RCCL: Rhapsody, 2003; Voyageur, 2008, 2009; Adventure, 2008; Navigator 2013; Mariner 2010, 2011
Holland America: Veendam, 2006
Princess: Grand 2005, 2006; Ruby 2010, 2017; Island 2011, 2013; Emerald 2012, 2015, 2018, 2019; Golden 2012, 2014, 2015; Crown 2013, 2017; Caribbean 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018; Royal 2014; Star 2014; Regal 2016
Carnival: Elation 2005; Magic 2012, 2015; Breeze 2017, 2018; Vista 2019

castigat ridendo mores
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts - Mark Twain
5,469 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
Originally posted by Working 2 Cruise
What do you not understand about OM starting in November? No one will know anything until then!

You've been on these boards enough to know it starts in November, on the Regal.
Gee, I would have thought you have been on these boards long enough to know
not to open threads that don't interest you.

There have been quite a few threads about medallions, even though no one know very much.
Even this thread got up to 20 replies.

People (other than) you are interested in what's new.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App
202 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Just a thought.....
One would 'think"....
just as now you can put the little card in the key card slot:
"Do Not Disturb"....

Either there will still be a little card...or technologically a way to indicate "Do Not Disturb".

The response to friends is easy for why you don't answer the door if they were then rude enough to knock or ask...

You were "napping"......
Long Island, NY
5,512 Posts
Joined Aug 2008

My luck I will be on a B2B and the person that they are looking for will be the only passenger on the ship that refused the Medallion and is using the old cruise card.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mike
Cincinnati. OH-Go Reds
5,615 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
OK I just knew someone would ask me this question ....well it might be because DH & I just want "privacy" . Please don't suggest to us not to answer the door ..we wouldn't ....we would not want to explain why we didn't answer the door if friends casually asked..since they knew we were there. Very embarrassing.

???.....So if anyone knows for sure if this device can be turned off & on during the cruise ...it would be very much appreciated to have the answer.

Thanks in advance .
Hello and Happy Sunday. I did not mean to scare you or creep you out with this technology. Suggest you go to youtube and watch the CEO of Carnival at Jan 2017 CES in Las Vegas. It is about an hour video and explains everything you want to know about the Medallion program; how it works, what it can and can't do. Have you been to Disney World this year; if so, they use this technology there.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
CO
4,473 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
Having a DO NO DISTURB sign would be a great solution ... CCL has them which is very nice.

Also, I accidentally came across the video in Las Vegas yesterday ...very informative.

I hope this device will also help the staff find muster drill hide outs/late comers!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
HAPPY CRUISING ... MONA K
MY CRUISE PROFILE--CLICK HERE
PAST CRUISES: CCL-Carnival Festival: Sept. 22, 1989 RCI-Rhapsody of the Seas: Sept. 10, 2006 CCL-Carnival Ecstasy:Jan. 27, 2007 PCL-Golden Princess: Oct. 27, 2007 PCL-Crown Princess: Oct. 26, 2008 PCL-Sapphire Princess: Oct. 31, 2009 PCL-Emerald Princess: Nov. 28, 2010 HAL- Oosterdam: Jan. 29, 2011 PCL-Emerald Princess: Nov. 28, 2011 CCL-Carnival Destiny: Dec. 12, 2011 PCL-Grand Princess: Nov. 24, 2012 PCL-Grand Princess: Dec. 1, 2012 CCL-Carnival Magic: Feb. 3, 2013 PCL-Emerald Princess: Nov. 29, 2013 PCL-Caribbean Princess: April 26, 2014 X- Celebrity Equinox: Nov. 10, 2014 CCL-Carnival Liberty: Nov. 23, 2014 NCL-Norwegian Pearl: May 7, 2015 PCL-Crown Princess: Oct. 3, 2015 CCL-Carnival Imagination: Oct. 11, 2015 NCL- Norwegian Jewel: Oct. 18, 2015 PCL-Caribbean Princess: Nov. 27, 2016
CO
4,473 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
Originally posted by Working 2 Cruise What do you not understand about OM starting in November? No one will know anything until then!

You've been on these boards enough to know it starts in November, on the Regal.
Originally posted by pablo222
Gee, I would have thought you have been on these boards long enough to know
not to open threads that don't interest you.

There have been quite a few threads about medallions, even though no one know very much.
Even this thread got up to 20 replies.

People (other than) you are interested in what's new.
pablo222....Thank you for your reply to the Originally posted by Working 2 Cruise.Your post made me feel less stupid for asking the question originally before I found an answer.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
HAPPY CRUISING ... MONA K
MY CRUISE PROFILE--CLICK HERE
PAST CRUISES: CCL-Carnival Festival: Sept. 22, 1989 RCI-Rhapsody of the Seas: Sept. 10, 2006 CCL-Carnival Ecstasy:Jan. 27, 2007 PCL-Golden Princess: Oct. 27, 2007 PCL-Crown Princess: Oct. 26, 2008 PCL-Sapphire Princess: Oct. 31, 2009 PCL-Emerald Princess: Nov. 28, 2010 HAL- Oosterdam: Jan. 29, 2011 PCL-Emerald Princess: Nov. 28, 2011 CCL-Carnival Destiny: Dec. 12, 2011 PCL-Grand Princess: Nov. 24, 2012 PCL-Grand Princess: Dec. 1, 2012 CCL-Carnival Magic: Feb. 3, 2013 PCL-Emerald Princess: Nov. 29, 2013 PCL-Caribbean Princess: April 26, 2014 X- Celebrity Equinox: Nov. 10, 2014 CCL-Carnival Liberty: Nov. 23, 2014 NCL-Norwegian Pearl: May 7, 2015 PCL-Crown Princess: Oct. 3, 2015 CCL-Carnival Imagination: Oct. 11, 2015 NCL- Norwegian Jewel: Oct. 18, 2015 PCL-Caribbean Princess: Nov. 27, 2016
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
5,438 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Having a DO NO DISTURB sign would be a great solution ... CCL has them which is very nice.

Also, I accidentally came across the video in Las Vegas yesterday ...very informative.

I hope this device will also help the staff find muster drill hide outs/late comers!
It might providing they don't use an RFID wallet to hide their Medallion.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
s600/781/67/85
15 - 25 - 30
Chico, California
9,327 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Originally posted by floridalover5623
It might providing they don't use an RFID wallet to hide their Medallion.
I find it utterly mind boggling that people are so concerned and want to "hide" from the Medallion. These are the same people who live on Facebook and have smart phones. It defies all reason. Hopefully they will all be so paranoid that they will refuse to sail on Medallion ships. I think that would be great.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Thrak

Not Elite but having fun working on it...

Michigan
412 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
I find it utterly mind boggling that people are so concerned and want to "hide" from the Medallion. These are the same people who live on Facebook and have smart phones. It defies all reason. Hopefully they will all be so paranoid that they will refuse to sail on Medallion ships. I think that would be great.
Well, I don't have a smart phone, don't live on Facebook, although I did purchase the stock at
$19.00 a share. I think it's about $170.00 today.

I won't be paranoid or refuse to sail on a Medallion ship. In fact, I've got a 21 day booked on the Regal sailing December 17.

Maybe if we meet on the Hawaii, South Pacific cruise next month, which I know we will because we're both aft Caribe, you can tell me just how great
you think it would be if I didn't sail on a Medallion cruise.

Pam
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2018 - CARIBBEAN EXPLORER - REGAL PRINCESS
2017 - CARIBBEAN EXPLORER - REGAL PRINCESS
2017 - HAWAII AND SOUTH PACIFIC - EMERALD PRINCESS
2017 - EASTERN AND WESTERN CARIBBEAN- REGAL PRINCESS
2016 - MEDITERRANEAN WEST - ROYAL PRINCESS
2014 - ALASKA AND PANAMA CANAL - CORAL PRINCESS
2014 - WESTERN CARIBBEAN - RUBY PRINCESS
2014 - SOUTH AMERICA - GOLDEN PRINCESS
2014 - EASTERN AND WESTERN CARIBBEAN - RUBY PRINCESS
2013 - SOUTHAMPTON & CANARY ISLANDS TRANS-ATLANTIC - CROWN
2012 - BALTIC TRANS-ATLANTIC - EMERALD PRINCESS
2010 - EAST AND WEST MEDITERRANEAN TRANS-ATLANTIC - RUBY PRINCESS
2006 - EASTERN CARIBBEAN - CARNIVAL GLORY

2001 - WESTERN CARIBBEAN - CARNIVAL JUBILEE
USA
754 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
I keep wondering what will happen when the first frustrated "guest" tosses he/her "Medallion" over the side... Will that show up on the bridge as a passenger overboard? Ship stop for a search and muster? Fascinating...
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
5,438 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
So basically that would mean not sailing on any Princess ship after the conversion is complete in the near future.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
s600/781/67/85
15 - 25 - 30
Cincinnati. OH-Go Reds
5,615 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
You have to laugh at how such a subject such as this; goes on and on; when the program has not started; there are a lot of what if's on this thread. Don't sweat the small stuff
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
WA state
2,864 Posts
Joined Oct 2014

Thanks for this info . I assumed it had already been used on a ship already.
The first sailing with the Medallion activated is not until this coming November on the Regal. So at this point all anybody knows is what has been put out in various videos, etc. and it's all still subject to change.

Tom
WA state
2,864 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Originally posted by EightFurryPaws
Well, I don't have a smart phone, don't live on Facebook, although I did purchase the stock at
$19.00 a share. I think it's about $170.00 today.
You're quite a bit off if you're referring to Carnival stock. It's trading in the $67 range today. But it did close at $69.13 Friday! And 2 years ago it was only in the $48 area when I bought. Wish I'd bought back when you did!

Tom