Launderette etiquette

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:11 AM.
Virginia
21,634 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
I would not consider it a faux pas. I am not sure anyone would even know you were from a different deck. There are some decks that don't have a launderette so those people must use a different deck.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

My Cruise Blogs
World Voyage Blog - http://kathisworldvoyage.blogspot.com/
A Winter Crossing - http://cunard2015.blogspot.com
The Sail-Away Gang's Cruise - http://westerdam2015.blogspot.com/
Fall Foliage Cruise -http://fallfoliagecruise2015.blogspot.com/
South Pacific/North to Alaska - http://halcruises2016.blogspot.com/

Evangeline - Nassau - 1960
Johan Van Oldenbarnevelt - EB TA - 1962
Queen Mary - WB TA - 1962
Raffaello - Caribbean - 1968
MV Three Gorges - Yangtze River - 1988
Atlas - Nile River - 1995
Olympic - Aegean Sea - 1996
Constellation - Baltic Sea - 2005
Disney Fantasy - Caribbean - 2012
Queen Elizabeth - World Voyage 2014
Queen Elizabeth - Southampton to Fort Lauderdale - 2015

Westerdam - FLL to Seattle with the "Sail-away Gang" - 2015
Liberty of the Seas - Canada/New England - 2015
Westerdam - Hawaii, Tahiti, and the Marquesas with the "Pearls of the Pacific" - 2016
Nieuw Amsterdam - Alaska - 2016
At Sea
5,269 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
When using a launderette on board, I always use the one that is nearest, be that up or down decks, rather than walk those never-ending QM2 passageways (you'll see what I mean) to the launderette on "my" deck. Saves an awful lot of time when I go to check if it is "done" yet.

(If my memory is correct, on QM2 a wash cycle takes about 40 minutes, depending on the machine)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pepper........... (Cunard & QM2; "It is not the only way to cross, but it is the only way to cross")
QM2 - QE - QV - QE2 - interiors. QM2 cabin photos & ship tour. Crossings & Cruises - photographs here . . .
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/sets/
...over 3.5 million visits, thank you.
Sailed: QM2, QE, QV, QE2. Booked: QE, ...
Chester, UK
1,393 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
I use that handy little bag in the room. Pop your clothes in, and magically they arrive back all clean and pressed !!

Oddly, it's the one service on board that's cheaper than at home and I do take pleasure from not being ripped off when using it.
Chester, UK
1,393 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Originally posted by pepperrn
rather than walk those never-ending QM2 passageways (you'll see what I mean)
You mean when you stand at one end of the corridor and you can't see the other end because it's disappeared over the horizon ?
At Sea
5,269 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by ToadOfToadHall
You mean when you stand at one end of the corridor and you can't see the other end because it's disappeared over the horizon ?
Into infinity and beyond.

Deck 6, port side passageway is, I think, the longest on board. Quite a walk end-to-end. I timed walking it once, at a gentle pace, now forgotten the result!

(On Queen Mary in Long Beach, the "sheer" of the decks means you cannot see the far end of cabin passageways, from memory)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pepper........... (Cunard & QM2; "It is not the only way to cross, but it is the only way to cross")
QM2 - QE - QV - QE2 - interiors. QM2 cabin photos & ship tour. Crossings & Cruises - photographs here . . .
UK
1,866 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Originally posted by pepperrn
Into infinity and beyond.

Deck 6, port side passageway is, I think, the longest on board. Quite a walk end-to-end. I timed walking it once, at a gentle pace, now forgotten the result!
I was tempted to reply that if the ship is of equal length, then why is one passageway on the port side the longest on board, surely it should be the same on the other side?

But I won't
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Cruises:
2017Eastbound T/A - Cunard. 2016 Westbound T/A - Cunard: Bahamas & Florida - NCL: 2015 Eastbound T/A - Cunard: 2014 Westbound T/A - Cunard: Norway/Iceland - P&O: 2013 Canary Islands - NCL: 2011 Eastbound T/A - Cunard: 2011 Southern T/A - Celebrity: 2011 Australasia - Princess: 2009 Australia/New Zealand - Royal Caribbean: 2005 Norway - Louis Line: 2004 Alaska - Celebrity: 2000 Eastern Caribbean - Royal Caribbean
Chicago
252 Posts
Joined Jun 2017
Originally posted by ToadOfToadHall
I use that handy little bag in the room. Pop your clothes in, and magically they arrive back all clean and pressed !!

Oddly, it's the one service on board that's cheaper than at home and I do take pleasure from not being ripped off when using it.
That's odd - wash and fold at home is $1.20 a pound, and when we were in England in November, I was able to wash four days of our dirty laundry for about 15 quid.
Wisconsin, USA
83 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Originally posted by babs135
I was tempted to reply that if the ship is of equal length, then why is one passageway on the port side the longest on board, surely it should be the same on the other side?

But I won't
There is a wall on the starboard side of deck 6 that separates the forward cabins from the rest. I've never noticed but maybe there isn't a similar wall on the port.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Forums mobile app
Oakland, CA USA
1,733 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Doesn't matter which launderette you use, but please don't throw the iron at anyone!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cunard: 102 Days
Seabourn: 68 Days
Azamara: 64 Days
HAL: 34 Days
Crystal: 31 Days
Celebrity: 14 Days
Princess: 14 Days
RCL: 7 Days
Commodore: 7 Days
Carnival: 3 Days
Goodtime II: 1 Day
Muscat/Oman and Sydney/Australia
780 Posts
Joined May 2011
At least on the QV, they really should have a small window in the doors to the laundry rooms. It's very tight inside and it's easy to bump people with the doors. Personally I open the doors slowly, but z lot of people just barge in....
3,495 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
One peculiarity on QM2 is that the launderettes are not "stacked" as they are on the other ships. Must be something to do with the one off design. Logically all the laundry facilities would be expected to be run vertically through the decks. Another example of the somewhat awckward lay out.

David.
Pennsylvania
5,554 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Most ships I've been on (admittedly a fairly low number) seem to follow a pattern similar to QM2 - a laundry room here, a laundry room there...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past:
Queen Mary 2: 7 cruises
Queen Victoria: 2 cruises

ms Amsterdam: 1 cruise
Caribbean Princess: 1 cruise
Carnival Pride: 1 cruise
3,495 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Originally posted by Underwatr
Most ships I've been on (admittedly a fairly low number) seem to follow a pattern similar to QM2 - a laundry room here, a laundry room there...
If you look at the deck plans QE https://www.cunard.com/Documents/201...plans-2019.pdf You can clearly see how they are laid out. Modular construction.

David.
Santa Cruz, CA
800 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Originally posted by abefroman329
What time does the laundrette open in the morning?
I think it was 7:30 a.m. when we were on a westbound TA this past summer. No matter the time, it seemed there was always a queue of people waiting.
At Sea
5,269 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by balf
One peculiarity on QM2 is that the launderettes are not "stacked" as they are on the other ships. Must be something to do with the one off design. Logically all the laundry facilities would be expected to be run vertically through the decks. Another example of the somewhat awckward lay out. David.
Or quite the opposite.

On the huge QM2, having the launderettes either aft or forward (they almost alternate as you rise up the decks) means that, instead of walking the entire length of the ship to find a laundry, there may well be one above or below you, and therefore closer (by lift/elevator). Passengers in the middle of the ship only have to walk half the length of the vessel.

So, not awckward (sic) at all. An entirely user-friendly layout.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
64 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
I don't think using a laundromat on a deck other than you are located is in violation of 'launderette etiquette', but I wanted to advise of something that happened to us last month on the QM2. Following the wash cycle, we put some laundry of my husband's into a dryer, set it for a specific time and returned for it just minutes after the cycle was due to end. We found an empty dryer and no laundry. (So obviously it was not just removed because another passenger needed to use the machine). A search of the room turned up nothing so we were baffled. We concluded that the clothing must have been taken by mistake so left a polite note attached to the dryer requesting that the laundry may have been taken in error, so when the other passenger realized that the items were not theirs, would they please just leave them in the laundry room to be collected.

Next morning I went to check and found SOME of the items folded on the ironing board. - underwear and a couple of pairs of socks. The tee shirts and dress socks were still among the missing! I still can't believe that anyone could not realize that the items were not theirs. Ok - white tee shirts and black socks all look pretty similar, but if you know that SOME of the laundry you removed from the dryer is not yours, would you not take a close look and discover that NONE of it is? Launderette etiquette, indeed. It's still a mystery so we can only hope that the missing items have gone to a good home.

There is an upside to this... Husband has now decided that perhaps using a public laundry while on vacation is probably not the best idea after all and we really need to go back to stuffing that laundry bag! Amen to that.