Hurricane Irma

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!


Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:15 AM.
#1
Surrey, UK
1,404 Posts
Joined May 2006
Wonder how the damage caused by Hurricane Irma will affect the upcoming Caribbean season - Antigua St Maarten have already been hit and the BVI (Tortola) is next. All 3 of these feature on the P&O schedules.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


P&O (20): Old Arcadia, Arcadia, Aurora(2), Azura(3), Britannia(2),Oceana(2), Oriana(5), Ventura(4)
Celebrity (4): Summit, Solstice, Eclipse, Silhouette
Thomson (3): Emerald(3)
Princess (2): Diamond Princess, Emerald Princess
RCI (1): Radiance of the Seas
Holland and America (1): Eurodam
Premier Cruises (1): Rembrandt
Dolphin Cruises (1): Island Breeze
Sun Cruises(1): Sunbird
#2
Southsea
178 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
Fingers crossed for all the residents in the path of this monster weather system, I guess there must be contingencies in place for any Ships that are due to visit areas affected in situations such as this.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Regards
Barrie
#3
UK
222 Posts
Joined Jun 2015
I'd be more worried for the islanders than my future cruise.

I'm sure any ships will find other ports or routes as necessary, though non affected islands may benefit from additional (rearranged) ship visits, it may put more of a strain on their limited infrastructure (e.g. Dominica). Plus these huge new ships don't have the option of tendering everyone to shore...

I'm on a Caribbean there and back transatlantic next Christmas, and if the itinerary changes due to a natural disaster, then that's the will of the weather...

Anyway, I'm sure most of these ports will have recovered enough by the main season, it'll be their priority to get tourists back, as that's their main income for most.
#4
Whitley Bay, North East England
6,399 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Originally posted by Goosebear Mum
I'd be more worried for the islanders than my future cruise.

I'm sure any ships will find other ports or routes as necessary, though non affected islands may benefit from additional (rearranged) ship visits, it may put more of a strain on their limited infrastructure (e.g. Dominica). Plus these huge new ships don't have the option of tendering everyone to shore...

I'm on a Caribbean there and back transatlantic next Christmas, and if the itinerary changes due to a natural disaster, then that's the will of the weather...

Anyway, I'm sure most of these ports will have recovered enough by the main season, it'll be their priority to get tourists back, as that's their main income for most.


Exactly never mind cruises it is the people who should be our main concern.




Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Aurora AU112 Arcadia AR223
Aurora R418 Aurora R419
Adonia F507 Adonia F508
Aurora R525 Arcadia J625
Oceana E721 Oriana X718
Arcadia J813 Oriana X820
Ventura N902 Aurora R913
Arcadia J004 Oceana E021
Ventura N110 Azura A121
Aurora R119 Ventura N210
Arcadia J217 Oriana X302
Oriana X312 Aurora R315
Oceana E402 Azura A409
Azura A410 Oceana E425
Oceana E426 Arcadia J510
Britannia B522 Britannia B523
Ventura N603 Azura A616
Arcadia J615 Arcadia J616
Oceana E625 Crown Princess May 17
Britannia B719 Britannia B720

To Come

Azura 17
Azura 17
Ventura 18
Oriana 18
Oriana 18
Ventura 19
Ventura 19
Britannia 19
Ventura 9
Ventura 19




Gan Canny

Dai
#6
Surrey, UK
1,404 Posts
Joined May 2006
I certainly didn't mean that the cruise season is more important than the plight of the islanders. My meaning was that it is only about 7 weeks until the season and just wondered if the ports would be ready to receive visitors and if P&O will visit different ports instead, that was all.

You have to be careful how you word things on here.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


P&O (20): Old Arcadia, Arcadia, Aurora(2), Azura(3), Britannia(2),Oceana(2), Oriana(5), Ventura(4)
Celebrity (4): Summit, Solstice, Eclipse, Silhouette
Thomson (3): Emerald(3)
Princess (2): Diamond Princess, Emerald Princess
RCI (1): Radiance of the Seas
Holland and America (1): Eurodam
Premier Cruises (1): Rembrandt
Dolphin Cruises (1): Island Breeze
Sun Cruises(1): Sunbird
#7
Devon, UK
4,326 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
Hurricane season is usually over by October, but there are now three hurricanes in the area!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jean



#8
Off the Map
59 Posts
Joined Dec 2010
Originally posted by bee-ess
I certainly didn't mean that the cruise season is more important than the plight of the islanders. My meaning was that it is only about 7 weeks until the season and just wondered if the ports would be ready to receive visitors and if P&O will visit different ports instead, that was all.

You have to be careful how you word things on here.
That's the trouble with the internet, there's always someone ready to shoot you down.

If some of the people had read your original post properly they would have seen that you were not worried about your cruise but just starting a topic for open discussion.

FWIW we are on Adonia TA and while I'm not worried about our future cruise I am interested in how its going to change.
#9
Whitley Bay, North East England
6,399 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Originally posted by artemis10
That's the trouble with the internet, there's always someone ready to shoot you down.



If some of the people had read your original post properly they would have seen that you were not worried about your cruise but just starting a topic for open discussion.



FWIW we are on Adonia TA and while I'm not worried about our future cruise I am interested in how its going to change.


I would hope that the islands affected could at least offer some basic facilities because they need the cruise ships to come in and for the passengers to spend money. Never mind moving to another port lets get in to the islands which have been hit and do something for their economy.


Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Aurora AU112 Arcadia AR223
Aurora R418 Aurora R419
Adonia F507 Adonia F508
Aurora R525 Arcadia J625
Oceana E721 Oriana X718
Arcadia J813 Oriana X820
Ventura N902 Aurora R913
Arcadia J004 Oceana E021
Ventura N110 Azura A121
Aurora R119 Ventura N210
Arcadia J217 Oriana X302
Oriana X312 Aurora R315
Oceana E402 Azura A409
Azura A410 Oceana E425
Oceana E426 Arcadia J510
Britannia B522 Britannia B523
Ventura N603 Azura A616
Arcadia J615 Arcadia J616
Oceana E625 Crown Princess May 17
Britannia B719 Britannia B720

To Come

Azura 17
Azura 17
Ventura 18
Oriana 18
Oriana 18
Ventura 19
Ventura 19
Britannia 19
Ventura 9
Ventura 19




Gan Canny

Dai
#10
Staffordshire
1,000 Posts
Joined May 2011
Originally posted by Goosebear Mum
I'd be more worried for the islanders than my future cruise.

I'm sure any ships will find other ports or routes as necessary, though non affected islands may benefit from additional (rearranged) ship visits, it may put more of a strain on their limited infrastructure (e.g. Dominica). Plus these huge new ships don't have the option of tendering everyone to shore...

I'm on a Caribbean there and back transatlantic next Christmas, and if the itinerary changes due to a natural disaster, then that's the will of the weather...

Anyway, I'm sure most of these ports will have recovered enough by the main season, it'll be their priority to get tourists back, as that's their main income for most.
You are right. A cruise is the last thing that we should be concerned about. We all have to hope that the poor people on the affected islands are safe and are able to get the ports back to a working state. If they cannot get the clean-up done before the cruise season it will be double problem for them, they will lose the income that they desperately need to live and carry out repairs.
#11
Bristol
127 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
From what I have seen reported so far this morning St Martin has been really badly affected. The airport has been destroyed and Philipsburg harbour is unusable. On the French side many of the buildings have been destroyed and eight people are known to have lost their lives. So far the Dutch cannot determined the extent of loss of life etc. because it is impossible to reach the island. Hopefully there will not be too many fatalities but looking at the aerial shots of the damage I think it is unlikely.

Antigua seems to have fared a little better but Barbuda appears to have been just about destroyed.

It is a sad time for the lovely people there. Hopefully there will be an emergency fund started to help them out. I believe the French government has already announced the details of a fund for their islands, but there again they always look after their own people. Perhaps it is time for the other governments to stump up a little cash to help the rest of the islands.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature










#12
Lancashire, England
874 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Originally posted by Zombatar

It is a sad time for the lovely people there. Hopefully there will be an emergency fund started to help them out. I believe the French government has already announced the details of a fund for their islands, but there again they always look after their own people. Perhaps it is time for the other governments to stump up a little cash to help the rest of the islands.
I would hope that the cruise lines which regularly visit these islands would be prepared to put their hands in their corporate pockets as well.
#13
Surrey, UK
1,404 Posts
Joined May 2006
Originally posted by Denarius
I would hope that the cruise lines which regularly visit these islands would be prepared to put their hands in their corporate pockets as well.
I'd agree, there are always many ships in St Maarten daily and is used by all the regular cruise lines. I'm sure that P&O for example include it on most if not all itineraries, likewise Antigua and Tortola.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


P&O (20): Old Arcadia, Arcadia, Aurora(2), Azura(3), Britannia(2),Oceana(2), Oriana(5), Ventura(4)
Celebrity (4): Summit, Solstice, Eclipse, Silhouette
Thomson (3): Emerald(3)
Princess (2): Diamond Princess, Emerald Princess
RCI (1): Radiance of the Seas
Holland and America (1): Eurodam
Premier Cruises (1): Rembrandt
Dolphin Cruises (1): Island Breeze
Sun Cruises(1): Sunbird
#14
Lancashire U.K.
1,429 Posts
Joined Dec 2001
With St Maarten and Tortola being constituent countries of France the Netherlands and the UK, one would assume the mother countries will 'pile in' and help to get things normalised asap
#15
Stoke on Trent, England
4,907 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Originally posted by daiB
I would hope that the islands affected could at least offer some basic facilities because they need the cruise ships to come in and for the passengers to spend money. Never mind moving to another port lets get in to the islands which have been hit and do something for their economy.


Sent from my iPad using Forums
Totally agree. Our hearts goes out to them and as someone else has said I hope that the cruise ship 'powers that be' dip their hands in their pockets to help. Can't imagine the devastation ..and another storm approaching some. So sad.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature




Sailed on:
P&O Ventura 15.08.17 : Spain & the Greek Islands
P&O Britannia 28.05.17 : Iberian Cruise
P&O Oceana 10.08.16 : Western Med fly cruise
P&O Britannia 25.07.15 : Iberia and Canaries
P&O Oceana 08.04.15 : Western Med
P&O Oceana 19.04.14 : Iberian Cruise
RCI Independence of the Seas 29.10.13 : Mini cruise
Celebrity Silhouette 12:08:13 : Greek Islands / Italy
Celebrity Silhouette 10:08:12 : Adriatic / Venice
Celebrity Silhouette 10:08:11 : Eastern Med/Holy Land
P&O Oceana August 2010 : Western Med
Ocean Village 02:08:09 : Eastern Med / Crete
Louis Cruises August 2001 : Egypt
#17
31 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
I very much doubt any ships will be visiting St.Martin this year. Not only have they suffered devastating damage, it appears to be a bit out of control - people with guns and machetes are reported to be looting the remaining shops/houses.I fear it's going to be a long and hard road for some of these islands.
#18
Bristol
127 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Just read on the BBC news that Carnival have cancelled four cruises that were due to leave soon and more may be cancelled. I would expect it to be around a year before St Martin is up and running. The whole population of Barbuda is being evacuated to Antigua. Of course these two islands, being independent , will receive no financial support from any government so lets hope somebody starts a crowdfunding project to help them out.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature










#19
Valencia, Spain
1,146 Posts
Joined Jul 2012
Originally posted by bee-ess
I certainly didn't mean that the cruise season is more important than the plight of the islanders. My meaning was that it is only about 7 weeks until the season and just wondered if the ports would be ready to receive visitors and if P&O will visit different ports instead, that was all.

You have to be careful how you word things on here.
I didn't have any difficulty understanding what you meant. Some just don't read things properly.
#20
Batehaven, Australia
9,309 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
The Carnival, Disney, RCI etc boards here on CC outlines the cancellations due to the current hurricane(s.)

Future of the port operations is dependent on any damage caused.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cheers..(Uncle) LES

Cruised with Princess, Celebrity, Cunard, P&O Australia, P&O UK, Carnival, Sitmar, Sydney Harbour Ferries. World Cruise, plus British Isles, Europe, Med, Greek Isles, Transatlantic, Asia, USA, Panama Canal, South America, Central America, Caribbean, Alaska, Canada, Japan, South Pacific, Australia, New Zealand.!

**Last cruise: Queen Mary 2 - Sydney - HK, 16 nights, 2 - 18 March 2017.


**Future Cruises**:

Sapphire Princess - 26 May 2018, Scandinavia, ex Southampton - 7 nights.

Adonia: - 3 June 2018, France, Spain & Portugal, ex Southampton - 16 nights
B2B with..
Adonia: - 19 June 2018, Ireland, North Cape, Scandinavia, ex Southampton - 18 nights.

'Adventure before Dementia - Live for Today !!'